Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #43

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
From your picture it looks like your thermistor is on the 4'th or 5'th fin.

Try moving it to the second fin from the right at about the same hight you've got it now.

I must have been 90% asleep to have missed that.
I can't move it that far to the right. The wire isn't long enough. I have it on the 20th fin (per manual) but I can try the bigger piece of foam and moving it a few over. The fin is reading 33 right at the moment. I don't think my fans have come on at all for the past 4 or 5 days so something is goofy there.

Should I post my picture of the control board on a new thread and hope that someone sees it and recognizes it? We wonder if all those error codes are doing something?? I would love to get a new fridge but you would have to cut the side of the rv to get the old one out. So I am stuck with this one and work on figuring out a cure for what ails it!
varankins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #44

With all these documented failures, why hasn't there been a class action lawsuit?
Old 07-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #45

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
search this forum- you will find all about that lawsuit
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Move the thermistor, put foam behind thermistor, replace the board, Amish cooling unit, door hinges broken, recall, recall magic box doesn't work right use magnet, add fire extinguisher, put smoke alarm in fridge compartment, fans quit, add fans to stack, short position 15 to clear error codes and eat your ice cream through a straw.

Sorry to make a small joke out of it but fires or no fires I find the performance of these units less than stellar. Seems like a lot of problems and a lot of work and expense to make Norcold, especially 1200 series work correctly and safely.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
With all these documented failures, why hasn't there been a class action lawsuit?

There is!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Move the thermistor, put foam behind thermistor, replace the board, Amish cooling unit, door hinges broken, recall, recall magic box doesn't work right use magnet, add fire extinguisher, put smoke alarm in fridge compartment, fans quit, add fans to stack, short position 15 to clear error codes and eat your ice cream through a straw.

Sorry to make a small joke out of it but fires or no fires I find the performance of these units less than stellar. Seems like a lot of problems and a lot of work and expense to make Norcold, especially 1200 series work correctly and safely.

I did the Amish cooling unit and a few extra fans 2 years ago . The unit worked awesome.

When I say "Worked", that is because I did install the Samsung a few weeks ago.

Just wanted to use my solar to the fullest. Now I have a nice Norcold to get rid of!

I will say that many of the Norcolds that I have looked at that don't cool correctly are because of bad installation at the factory. Bad venting, to much room that the chimney effect doesn't happen.

Trust me, it just isn't the fridge the factory doesn't do right. On my Newmar, I had to replace all the heater hose from the front to the rear because it was paper thin. You can read other post on this here. I also had to change the wires from the house batteries to the inverter because they were the wrong gauge for the lenght.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Aspersions

Oh, OK then. I'll go out and blow a couple grand 'cause you say everything on my Norcold is crap because someone somewhere had to replace parts.....

Wait until you need to replace the motor/compressor..... Or a $600 motherboard with a hole burned in it.

I've had 10x more trouble with residentials than absorption refers. Chinese junk IMHO. Even Samsung and F&P make them in China!

Sorry, I just had to say it.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post

Mark,

I wholeheartedly AGREE!

Actually, in your list, there is an earlier Norcold recall missing where all they did was to add a thermal disc to the lower burner stack. Well that proved to be a BIG waste of time. Shortly after that failure, they came out with a new thermal sensor mounted higher and also included the "infamous" BLACK BOX with the dreaded RED LIGHT. Well we all know how well THIS recall has worked!

I have attached the NHTSA Letters that were issued about the recalls.

Both you and I don't have to worry any longer about the POS Norcold. Plus there are hundreds of others that have gotten totally fed up with the crap that Norcold is trying to get away with and have gone the residential route also.

Has there been one person who has regretted installing any type of residential fridge in their RV yet?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NHTSA Letter to Norcold 10-15-2010.pdf (23.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf NHTSA Letter to Norcold 11-2-2010.pdf (23.2 KB, 30 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #51

I forgot, the DW saw a Samsung in coach and liked it!

That is more than enough of a reason for me to change it out. I just wish I had the solar on before I did the Amish unit.

And to confirm Dr.4 Film. I love the RR!

One thing I try to do with my posts, is to be open to everyone's opinions.
As I mentioned in my previous post, my Norcold worked great with the Amish unit. I had to install it because the stock unit got a hole in the cooling unit.

The change for the Amish unit cost me $1300.00 with me doing the change.

To change to the RR cost me $1200.00 with me doing the change.

Ya, I spent over 2 grand for both!

But I am really good at fridge work now?
Old 07-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
What you paid for the two fridges combined was what I paid to have the Samsung installed at Billy Thibodeaux's in Scott LA back in April 2012.

They had the NotSoCold out and the Samsung in and running all in one day. Another half day of finish work and I was on my way.

I full-time so I needed to find a place on my route to Alaska from Florida who could tackle the job and get it done quickly with extra care towards quality.

You would not know that it wasn't a factory installed option.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
I will say that many of the Norcolds that I have looked at that don't cool correctly are because of bad installation at the factory. Bad venting, to much room that the chimney effect doesn't happen.

You nailed it right there, along with the out of level installations and putting them in slides with horizontal openings that both Norcold and Dometic warn against and you have a recipe for a under-performing unit from day one. The sad part is the uninformed blame Norcold (not-so-cold) or Dometic for what is really the fault of the installers and in some instances the operators.

The funny thing is if you follow the directions these units seem to work pretty darn good. But it's like anything else, YOU need to take responsibility for your use of the product. Imagine if these same operators never changed the oil on their engines or any other PM, would they really expect them to work forever with no problems.?

I do agree that it is a good solution for those who are mechanically lazy or inept to install a RR refrigerator.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post

I do agree that it is a good solution for those who are mechanically lazy or inept to install a RR refrigerator.

We can now add two additional reasons why people switch to a residential unit.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #55

StevenNSteph, my Norcold was installed correctly and was not on a slide. It just flat failed.

Dr. 4 Film, in all honesty, installing the RR unit was easier than doing the cooling unit change out 4 me. I took a few evenings to do it and a few ice teas for the friends to lift it in and take out the Norcold.

As for the extra $, I'll pay it anytime for something that works and gives me peace of mine!

When I changed out that fridges I saw the burned spot from the Norcold again. Good reminder of 1 of the reasons for me to change.

And yes, to those who will post a opinion. I will do regular cleaning on the RR just like I did on the Norcold! That's how I found out the Norcold was done!
Old 07-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #56

Norcold vs Dometic

my 2000 dsdp does not have the Norcold frig that everyone is talking about, it has the Dometic NDR 1062 and the only recall that i am aware of that affects this year model was taken care of a few years ago. I am wondering if it is any better than the Norcold since they are both the same type frig.
tommildren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold