RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #15

Viper I too keep a remote thermometer in my 4 Door No-Cold 1200. I became alarmed at the temperature swings. So I started keeping a digital kitchen thermometer ( TempRite -58 to 302 F) in a small bottle of water. IMO I get a better read of temps for the items inside the box not just the air temp
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also, can someone tell me what's under the cover on the motorhome roof? A fan? Nothing? Is that where I would install a flue fan? Any suggestions would be most appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
On my particular installation I was able to access the thermal switch for the cooling fans. My 2 fans were off more than on so I replaced the thermal switch that is attached to the condenser. I had to cut the insect screen but was able to fashion a replacement out of gutter screen from the Home Depot. Better than pulling the fridge I have since by-passed the thermal switch and replaced it with an on off switch. The cooling fans really lower the temps in my 4 door Nocold. I am not sure if your unit has fans, but mine are hard to miss when they are running. Well worth the noise.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #16

Thanks for all the great responses to my post. I've been experimenting and thought I'd share the result of one that had an amazing effect. I moved the little battery-powered fridge fan from the left side second shelf to the right side top shelf so that it blows directly on the fin the thermistor is clipped to. I've now had to repeatedly reduce the setting from 8-9 to 3 to keep things from freezing. When I got up this morning, the in-fridge digital thermometer read 28 degrees (confirmed by a second analog thermometer) with an outside air temp of 58 and a setting of 3. No other changes, just moved the fan. My theory is that the thermistor is now sensing the temperature of the air in the box rather than just that of the fin. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but it's certainly different!

2001 Grand Cherokee
ViperDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:52 AM   #17

viper - that makes complete sense. Note, that by moving that thermistor on the fins you are changing the temp it senses, just like blowing the air on it. Try moving the thermistor, especially jumping a fin or too and you'll save having to worry about where the fan is or if it is running! I always like to minimize the things to worry about. Brain cells can't handle much.

If gonefishin is right with down, then down and right will give even more dramatic results. The reason is that the "flow-of-cold" across the fins is something like upper left to lower right. Certainly worth playing with a 2 fin jump one day and then a 2 fin jump the other way another day as your experiment. You'll get it dialed in with a couple of jumps and not have to rely on if the fan is working or pointed right.

P.S. I have never used a fan and refer is extremely uniform - by confirmed measurements. But then again, it isn't packed to the gills either.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But then again, it isn't packed to the gills either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO, having a lot of stuff in the freezer/fridge would be preferable, as recovery from door openings and the addition of items would be quicker with less temperature swings due to increased mass of cold items.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #19

66 completely agree for a compressor type refer, but I would not agree for an absorption refer.

Here's why. Compressor refers tend to have fans built-in to the walls to level out temps and move air up/from the freezer area too. These compressor refer fans move air inside the walls of the unit, not by blowing it around the compartment. Absorption units (even if you put a fan inside) relies totally on convection air flow inside the unit to move air over the fins. Hence, if crammed full, that air flow is impeded and so is the cooling. IMHO a fan on the shelf is not going to adequately circulate air among a packed full refer - but because of the internal wall ducting in a compressor refer it has little cooling impediment on those models.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #20
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Ahhhhh, but I said "a lot of stuff", not crammed.

I agree that too much stuff may indeed make things worse.

BTW, my 1402 Dometic has circulating fans in both the fridge and freezer.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote