Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #1

Normal engine operating temp

I have a Cummins ISL 370 hp in my DP. For years I averaged between 7.5 and 8.0 mpg. Last 2 yrs mpg dropped to 7.0 to 7.3 range. Had it to Cummins and they said they couldn't find anything abnormal. Had to change the water pump and while I was. checking for leaks on the new pump and hoses I noticed the fan never came off high speed which I felt might be the culprit for reduced fuel economy. Turns out the hyd fan solenoid/ valve was bad. After installing new one along with a new Aereo muffler my fuel economy on a trip to Fl and back was back up to where it used to be. However the operating temp now sits at around 203 degrees no matter what. Can be winter or 90 degrees it never. varies. Used to run at around 178 degrees prior to the solenoid change (which I thought was to low). Sorry for my long lead up to the question, is 203 op temp ok or to hot.
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 12:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I personally would not have noticed a half mile difference in fuel economy with all the travel factors we run into. But the fact you found something wrong is something.

My coach runs at 180 degrees solid and perhaps up to 185-190 when it has to really work or it's hot out. I just installed a new radiator, and if it ran consistently higher than 200 I'd question things.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:50 AM   #3

I would suspect its time for thermostats replacement.

I'm not sure on yours but most of the older cummins engines used two thermostats.

If one sticks in the closed position, the operating temp will stay higher than it would if you had two correctly flowing thermostats opening when needed.

Think of it as slowing the flow, and the fact that you are not over heating means the rest of the system is in great condition.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:15 AM   #4

With my 2004 DSDP with Cummins 370 Hp CAPS engine the temperature is normally at 200 +- 5 degrees. My MPG is also running 7.5 to 8.

Tags
engine