Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #15

I just finished dropping off my 06 DSDP at the rv repair shop to have the passenger side front slide-out motor replaced. I used the automatic leveling feature, in what I thought was a fairly level campground site. Simple bubble level placed on the kitchen floor indicated I was half within the center ring, but not entirely, which I thought would be "good enough". After a weekend of fun, the slide-out did not retract when we were ready for departure. Slide-out motor would run, but the gears were not engaging. Tried the manual retract method, to no avail.

As I read related posts, I see a relation between the use of the automatic leveling system and slide-out misalignment or damage. I've even read about windshields cracking after using the automatic leveling system. Lesson learned for me is to use the manual level method, ensuring I deploy jacks first then slides. Before deploying the slides I shall check the slide-out frames to ensure spacing around the slide-out edge does not show signs of twisting or impingement.

School of hard knocks has educated me on this topic. Hope others don't have to experience the same.

BW

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4320
2014 Honda CRV
2003 Honda Goldwing
BWinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #16

I just bought a new 3436 ventana . The Newmare dealer told us to use auto level before putting out slide. IN my owners manual it states to level before extending slides. I would think that Newmar would tell dealers, and put in owners manual the proper procedure. If they change there mind let owners know in writing of change. I also haveheated tanks and dealer did not know how to turn on. Have a list of things that don't work, I would think that unit would be checked out before delivery.
rickdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
AUTO LEVEL and Manually leveling are one of the same they level your chassis frame if your on a level site.
Correct me if I am wrong but when a DP is aired up with your air bags the chassis frame is at a level plain even if you are on unleveled ground your tires are setting on.
If you go to outside to check your slide frame gaps and they are the same all around,your slide is square in the opening for the slide box that is the time that you deploy your Full Wall Slide, DUMP YOUR AIR BAGS, than level coach with your jacks.

Explained in this portion of first post:
"After many discussions by owners and some with damage to slides Newmar came up with this procedure to operate their FWS's." ------PLUS I ALSO ADDED THIS

RICK, IF you have heat pads I believe the switch for them are in your bathroom as some other members have mentioned before for others.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
When a diesel chassis is aired up, the level sensors will adjust the suspension to the ride height, not to level. If you are on a slope, the coach will lean. When you dump the air the coach will settle on the stops built in the airbags. On my previous Spartan chassis that resulted in the front lower than the back when you parked on level ground.
The HWH auto leveling has worked for me quite well when the site had significant slope only side to side. The problem with occurs when the site also slopes front to back.The chassis is not stiff enough to take the bending load exerted by the levelers and the slide(s) could bind up. i found that after the auto cycle finishes, lowering the font or rear of the coach somewhat relives some of the bending. From a binding up standpoint, it is safer to extend long slides before leveling or after side to side leveling. Fore or aft slope may cause the gravity to move the slide forward or backward somewhat, but if it is properly aligned it should not cause damage.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the explain Andy, so when coach is at ride height the coach is not level if parked on a slope.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
I have looked for this several places. How do you use an Atwood leveler system manually? I haven't found it in my manual or the one you linked.

Thanks,
mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think I read you use the arrows shown on face plate, PASS OR DRIVER, with out pressing AUTO button.
Arrows each side lower both front and rear jacks in pairs on each side rail.
After reading again does not really tell you how but on page 25 in diagram it says if can not level AUTO mode level manually using buttons mentioned.
Can only suggest put your jack pad on do not press AUTO BUTTON, but press PASS or Driver side buttons and see if the front and rear jacks drop for that side rail.
Page 14 is also manual leveling where all jack deploy or retrack.
Its a poor instruction piece, probably why Newmar no longer use them.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I think I have tried that once before, but I will try again.
mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:51 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This information has been added to first post because of a question asked about jacks.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
More info added to first post.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #25

Sorry to pile on. Today I was speaking to the great tech that aligned our slides and even though we do not have a FWS he recommended slides first then level.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #26

Common sence is the rule. Level chassis is square and the slide works with ease. Out of level well you just think what COULD happen to your slide and coach. For me it's level unlock slides extend. Happy Camper. It's like putting out the sewer hose. Don't like the job but I do it with a smile knowing how nice things will be when it is done.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Sorry to pile on. Today I was speaking to the great tech that aligned our slides and even though we do not have a FWS he recommended slides first then level.
I would correct him and give him a copy of this Warning or Caution.

Most 1 to 4 slide owners would agree with Johns statement.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #28
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Normal Operation of Newmar Slides and a FWS Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2303046]I would correct him and give him a copy of this [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/good-and-bad-thoughts-on-a-2011-mountain-aire-4344-and-fws-223579-4.html#post2302439
Warning or Caution.[/URL][/B]

Most 1 to 4 slide owners would agree with Johns statement.

So if I have a FWS, should I deploy JUST the FWS, level, then deploy the other two slides?

Boy this is just getting more and more confusing. I've two more months to get this straight. With my current Winnebago DP, I just level then deploy. Never an issue in 4 years of ownership.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, newmar