Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Normal Operation of Newmar Slides and a FWS Difference

NEWMAR PIB FOR FWS's --- PLEASE READ---by BrooksW Newmar Technician

EXPLAINATION OF NEWMAR SLIDE SYSTEMS by GaryKD

SLIDE OPERATIONS OF GAS COACH'S BAY STAR AND CANYON STAR ONLY.

We have some people that say they are becoming confused as to how to open and operate their slides questioning Newmar instructions in manuals or latest instructions on FULL WALL SLIDES.
The answers we will discuss are for Newmar slides for Newmar people.

I WILL USE LINKS FROM PEOPLE'S POSTS THAT HAVE BEEN DEPLOYING SLIDES FOR MANY YEARS PAST.

Check the highlighted portions of posts to be linked.

There has never been a problem for opening slides from years back to 1995 if correctly done, until the AUTO LEVEL shows up and the now new FULL WALL SLIDE coach's.

For years the proper way was by leveling each side rail of chassis than deploying the slides, jacks lowered manually.
This method of deployment of slides has not changed unless you have A FULL WALL SLIDE.
This would apply to a gas coach and DP coach after the DP coach dumped their air bags.
This would also apply too one to four slides only.

As of 10/8/14----- I NEEDED TO ADD THIS for some people as to WHY THE DIFFERENCE of deploying 1 TO 4 slides as compared to the FWS.

To add to all this we now have three jack leveling systems in the Newmar coach lineup. ---- HWH-----ATWOOD ------EQUALIZER

And now we can add AUTO LEVEL to all this mix.--HWH------EQUALIZER-----NOTE "MANUAL OPERATION OF JACKS"------ ATWOOD -----AIR AUTO LEVEL

MORE READING ON A JACK SYSTEM

DP OWNERS have a lot on their plate.

NOW SLIDES----OLD SLIDE SPEC------NEW SLIDE SPEC---info on kitchen slides----Further Slide info in QT's 1 & 2 the slide section for auto slide locks.

FULL WALL SLIDES Prier to 2016-17 ------DUAL MOTOR SLIDE------PROGRAMING FWS MOTOR CONTROL -------SLIDE WALL MEASUREMENT SHEET

After many discussions by owners and some with damage to slides Newmar came up with this procedure to operate their FWS's.
The only problem with that is when do you deploy your FULL WALL SLIDE and we have this to add to that which some people have to sign off on when visiting the Newmar plant and receiving instructions for operating their FWS.
I think this answer high lighted will point out why this is the thing to do for FWS.

We have some people that want to know why do I need to use MANUAL LOCK's, its a no brainer when people have the AUTO LOCK's they lock when you move in slide to store.
Here is a good reason to use your MANUAL LOCK's its up to you if you use them and may suffer then consequences if not locked.

The question on using AUTO LEVEL can be seen in some of the links of chassis' out of alignment in a four slide coach or one with a FWS its best to request a level site or level your coach manually as explained how the jack systems work in links provided.
A interesting feature of AUTO LEVEL is it can put on a show of how well it can twist your coach on a unleveled site pad all you have to do is operate the auto button and go out side and watch how the jack's progress to ground and stop and how each jack will lift its part of coach and stop but after another one stops, says I have to trim a little more and lifts again and that is going to trigger another jack to do the same.
I have seen front wheels of the ground, which a normal operation can do, and also one side of rear duel off the ground in a depress area of pad, which is not good.
Auto Level may never find level and every now and than pop a jack up than the whole sequence may start again if the jack has any more lift left.
You do not need damage to your slides or your windshields using AUTO LEVEL.
To use Auto feature make sure your site is as level as possible.

Excess Slope Information in the AUTO LEVEL mode of operation.

System shut down ACCESS SLOPE INDICATION

ALL these links and information can be found below in the QT's links 1 & 2 and new # 3 plus on the COM_NET network.

Further explanation of NEWMAR slide systems by GARYKD for your indulgence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have to leave for now wife's in hospital, if there is something I might have missed let me know and I will follow up in the first post.
If anyone has something on this first post to add please do and if its for a Newmar I will add to first post.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #3

Thanks, good luck at the hospital!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the great information. This will help tremendously when we pick up our new to us coach with a FWS in a couple of weeks. Are the jacks needed for an overnight stop?
Thanks
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I have to leave for now wife's in hospital, if there is something I might have missed let me knew and I will follow up in the first post.
If anyone has something on this first post to add please do and if its for a Newmar I will add to first post.
Good luck, we've been playing that "game" for three years now. 14 times in the ER, ICU, operating room, recovery etc!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #6

As usual great info, thank you. Thoughts and prayers for your wife
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #7

Why doesn't Newmar publish an advisory on this topic?

My previous coach said to level first then slides. The Newmar manual says the same thing using an indifferent tone. If I wasn't reading this forum, I would be blissfully following the manual until something broke.
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Good luck, we've been playing that "game" for three years now. 14 times in the ER, ICU, operating room, recovery etc!
Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. for DW.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you all, wife is resting comfortably will have more tests tomorrow after dialysis.

Jeff I plan on making a request for some change in a slide spec for FWS's or a TSB in the COM_NET network, will work on it.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #10

Thank you so much for this valuable information and the link to the HWH slide. Your constant work and dedication to getting out the best Newmar information is greatly appreciated.

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I have to leave for now wife's in hospital, if there is something I might have missed let me know and I will follow up in the first post.
Thank you for posting helpful information. It is hard to get use to (putting full wall slide out before leveling). I have done it both ways.

Hope your wife is doing well.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have added some additional links and wording to first post will let it set for a while.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, Thank You for putting such a good post together. As a new member to this forum, and a new Newmar owner, this site is very useful.

With that said, I have to ask..............So when would a person ever use the AUTO LEVEL feature?

With my quad slide Ventana 3634;
I guess the only time I could see using it would be if after parking, you are already level (no yellow lights on). This being on a concrete pad parking spot only!

Thoughts?

Randy
rmcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2 rmcobb.
Auto level is fine to use on a level site if a site has a slop either to the side or kiddy corner maybe not so good and would be wise to level manually.
Your 36' coach may handle a non level site OK but if you have a FWS if any drought level manually.
Below in my signature are links to many others for your Newmar.
Enjoy the forum and irv2.

Tags
slide, newmar