Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 04:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
North East US Toll Roads

Is there such a thing as a multiple-state Toll Road Pass i.e such as an EZ-Pass that we can purchase (or set up an account with) that will work in most if not all the Northern States of CT, MA, NY, NJ, PA?

We're planning a summer trip that will have us traveling through these states and were wanting to be prepared as best we can.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 04:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You named it with EzPass...

Here is a link that will show you all the states EZPass works in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

Here is the EZPass web site.

http://www.e-zpassiag.com

NY State will give a discount to RVs if you prove ownership when registering. You need not live in NY to have a NY EZPass.

The only state on the east coast that does not recognize EZPass is Florida, and they are suppose to be coming online.

Hope this helps.

g
Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have an EZ Pass that we bought, online, from MA many years ago. We travel from FL to ME every summer. We have used the Pass in MA, NY, NH and ME.

We try to stay off toll roads as much as possible. We have never used it in PA, NJ, CT but I am sure that EZ Pass is accepted on those toll roads.

You can check it out online and find out what states accept it.

When we head North, we take I81 to I84. The only toll is over the Hudson River at Newburgh NY.

Judi
gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you to all that responded (and so quickly); we've now successfully signed up and have an EZ-Pass Account established so that's one more item on our Summer 2017 Niagara Falls-New England - East Coast Tour trip checklist completed.

Again, thanks.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:07 AM   #5

I have the NJ EZPASS and have used it in NJ, DE, MD, NC and NY. I have read that the NC Quick Pass works with the FL system as well.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyman View Post
We try to stay off toll roads as much as possible. We have never used it in PA, NJ, CT but I am sure that EZ Pass is accepted on those toll roads.
FYI There are no toll roads in Connecticut, and haven't been for a number of years. They removed the tolls on I-95 after a couple of spectacular fiery crashes at toll booths.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
stay off of "parkways" in New York State!

This isn't about tolls, but is important information to know if you're going to be driving an RV in New York State. New York has a number of major highways which are called "parkways". It is illegal to drive RVs or trucks of any kind on them and they frequently have low bridges that would make it hazardous as well. The problem is that they are not slow two lane roads used for scenic purposes only. In many cases they are four lane freeway type roads that your GPS, GoogleMaps, etc would choose for you to drive on if you're not using an RV or Truck GPS!! The main thing to remember is the word parkway. And, only in New York, I think, is this the case.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
This isn't about tolls, but is important information to know if you're going to be driving an RV in New York State. New York has a number of major highways which are called "parkways". It is illegal to drive RVs or trucks of any kind on them and they frequently have low bridges that would make it hazardous as well. The problem is that they are not slow two lane roads used for scenic purposes only. In many cases they are four lane freeway type roads that your GPS, GoogleMaps, etc would choose for you to drive on if you're not using an RV or Truck GPS!! The main thing to remember is the word parkway. And, only in New York, I think, is this the case.
Great point......

If I remember from my NY days, there was a sign at the entrance to parkways, "No Commercial Traffic". This was a very long time ago.

Hopefully today the signs have been updated to include RV, weight restrictions, etc. Yes - the "over passes" are for cars and vans height only....

g
Old 03-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #9

These are the states that except EZ-Pass. Just ordered mine through the Pa. EZ-Pass website. E-ZPass Group - Where can I use E-ZPass?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Your Summer trip sounds the opposite of ours! Ohio to Cape Cod, up the North East Coast back around to Niagara Canadian side back to Ohio. Waiting for our DS 4369, delivery late June.
smoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Nope, the "no commercial vehicle" signs are still there. Nothing else. So when a foreign language truck driver, using a foreign language GPS gets the route to go on the parkway, the sign is incomprehensible to them, resulting in a very nasty hole in the front of his trailer. Please heed the advice. Kinda tricky.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #12

AFAIK the parkways are down near the lower Hudson Valley/NYC area. There is one along Lake Ontario roughly west from Rochester for around 20 to 30 miles. No overpasses but making the news because the road is in such bad shape. If you assume you are a commercial vehicle it's pretty easy to stay out of trouble.

If you absolutely gotta take the super slab then we welcome your contribution. If you would rather not then ask as there are often side routes that will handle your setup and have more to see and do with no tolls. I live here and often take a different route just to skip the tolls or to take a more direct route that is slower to drive but faster to do.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
NY State will give a discount to RVs if you prove ownership when registering. You need not live in NY to have a NY EZPass.
^ This ^

If you get the NY State EZ-Pass with the special Thruway MHM towing discount plan, you pay passenger car rates per axle for Thruway tolls in NY (I90/I87). It's a substantial savings.

E-ZPass: Discount Plans - New York State Thruway

It can take a few phone calls/faxes to get the correct passes, in our experience. For a tag axle coach towing a car or 2 axle trailer, I know you want a "Blue 215" transponder.

This will also work for other EZ-Pass tolls (note the MassPike is now all electronic, no manned toll booths). You won't get a discount on non-Thruway tolls, it will be the standard 5H rate, but you'll be able to go through the EZ-Pass toll lanes.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As an FYI.........this has noting to do with North East US Toll Roads......but EZPass info

For those traveling on I-65 crossing the Ohio at Louisville, KY, the toll for the "new" toll bridge for my RV towing was $5.00.

It too is all electronic, no toll booths. If you don't have an EZPass, they send you a bill in the mail from I imagine a picture of your license plate.

A thought just came to me.....what happens if you have a rental car????? Hmmmm

Safe travels,

g