RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
You probably need to dress in your most expensive clothes and rent a Mercedes to drive up in so they think you have money to spend or they won't take you seriously. Apparently once you convince them you can afford one, they treat you better. I guess we didn't pass the impression test.
Can you tell I am just a little bitter?
I am really sorry you felt you were treated badly, nobody deserves that!
I will say I was always dressed in shorts and a t-shirt driving a jeep. I think that let them know I was an experienced RVer. And Yes, I did bank finance a portion of the deal, but that was after the bottom line was set, and no they didn't pressure me to buy extended warranties!

Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #30

We spend the winter in Naples. I've always been wary about this dealer. And I always try to use independents who are much more motivated to give good service and usually can work me in when I need them. There are a lot of good independents in Florida. Not so many in Colorado.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think what you drive or how you dress matters a hill of beans.

I have shown up @ NIRV Dallas dressed in business attire in my new BMW M550 and been completely ignored, and shown up at the same dealership in my 2013 Chevy Crew Cab wearing shorts and flip flops, and had to fight off the sales people.

No matter what dealership you go to, it all comes down to the people, and their situation at that point in time. It could be they were on phone calls, working with customers, or just plain too tired to deal with me the first time around.

I get the same thing at a place I go to breakfast 3 times a week. Sometimes the service is fabulous, and the food is great. Other times service is slow and food is less than stellar. As long as the average experience is a good one, I will keep going there for breakfast.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #32

I would be very hesitant to take my coach to North Trail for my annual engine/chassis PM. Not that I don't think they could do it, but IMHO it is just not the correct place to have it serviced. I prefer to have an authorized Freightliner service center do it.

Just like when I had a Thor gas coach I certainly never considered taking it to an RV dealer that sold Thor's and asked them to do the annual engine service on it.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I would be very hesitant to take my coach to North Trail for my annual engine/chassis PM. Not that I don't think they could do it, but IMHO it is just not the correct place to have it serviced. I prefer to have an authorized Freightliner service center do it.

Just like when I had a Thor gas coach I certainly never considered taking it to an RV dealer that sold Thor's and asked them to do the annual engine service on it.
I agree, but sales and service can be a crap shoot on any given day anywhere, just like Red barons breakfast example. I still say the smaller dealers and service shops with long time employees are your best bet.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I had an appointment two weeks ago to get my 15k chassis service done at North Trail. Upon arrival I inquired about the work that would be done and the price. They quoted me $2850 for the chassis service without generator. The price seemed too high, and when I asked about just the oil, fuel filters, lube, and gear box, the price was still $2250. I declined the service and had my local freightliner do the same for $650 including the air filter.

I am not sure if my case is typical with North Trail, or if I just got a bad service writer.
This spring I was quoted about the same by NT for my 15K...I also declined. Went to Gaffney instead and paid about $1,000 including generator. Iíve already made an appointment for next September at Gaffney.
BuckyII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #35

I think NT focuses on new sales and service. I bought a 2015 Dutch Star this summer and will never buy anything from them again. I am very disappointed in the experience with them. Lots of issues.
Brutusiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:23 AM   #36

Red Baron is correct. You could just catch someone on a bad day. NT is a big operation with a lot of people. As for service, NT is an authorized FL service center which is nice. They have handled any chassis issues that I have had. I would give them a "B" rating. My .02
Old 12-02-2019, 05:56 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Looks like NorthTrail makes the cut: https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-ser...s/?dealer=CC85
Old 12-02-2019, 06:30 AM   #38

Quote:

I believe they are an authorized service center, however my first choice would be Gaffney and there are a ton of people on this forum that will bash going to Gaffney!
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Looks like NorthTrail makes the cut: https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-ser...s/?dealer=CC85
When I bought my coach, which is on the Freightliner M2 chassis, I was told by sales and service that they were a Freightliner dealer. When I wanted service on a Freightliner issue my factory warranty person told me that they were not a Freightliner dealer and to take it to a true Freightliner dealer. I was puzzled.

So, I called North Trail and asked if they were indeed a FL dealer. After several days of waiting for someone in the chassis department to return my call answering my question I barged through the BS I was getting from my service writer and called the GM of North Trail. He said that they were a FL dealer only for the Custom Chassis, not for an M2 or any other FL truck based chassis. He was surprised that his personnel were saying that they were a dealer for my unit.
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I highly recommend Independence RV in Winter Garden Fla., they are family owned and great to work with. My go to guy with issues is the owner's son Justin, knows these coaches inside and out. He gives you his cell # and responds quicker with a call or text than asking on iRV2.
Independence RV is the best dealer of choice.....everyone is fairly knowledgeable BUT you are correct....JUSTIN is the man...if he doesn't know the answer He will call and get it
We have had 2 towables and on our 7th Motorhomes....if which 3 were Newmars
We have been to NT ,3 times and could never get a realistic offer from them......It's sort of take it or leave it....
Bought last time from Independence RV and the $$$$'s were doable BUT The Service is FANTASTIC.......
Will definitely go back for the next coach....if the $$$$'s work,we WILL be a repeat customer........C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #41

If you buy from North Trail you're paying way too much! On the 3 Newmar coaches I've bought- 1 Dutch Star & 2 Mountain Aire's , NT was 12-18% higher than Independence in Winter Garden, FL. Independence has given me much better deals & their service shop is EXCELLENT.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanukalum View Post
I believe they are an authorized service center, however my first choice would be Gaffney and there are a ton of people on this forum that will bash going to Gaffney!
I realize they are an authorized FL service center. Heck, they usually have a bare demo chassis sitting somewhere on their lot.

What I am saying is that based on their pricing schedule and probably the low amount of engine/chassis maintenance they probably complete I would not consider them a good choice for my regular annual PM on my coach. I get the complete PM (with generator) done at a FL service center up north for about half of what NT charges.

They are suppose to have a complete alignment shop. Their prices are more than twice as much as other big rig alignment shops in the Ft Myers area.

I wouldn't let anyone touch my coach for anything coach related except North Trail or Nappanee. However, when it comes to engine/chassis maintenance I just don't think that is their specialty.

As far as their sales, we were happy with everything about our purchase. Our salesman just dropped me a note last week asking if everything was going good with the coach. This is 2 years after purchase.

FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote