RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #1

Not Dumping Question

03 Dutch Star. I have always leveled manually. I m four months in and now just finding the dump switch. Why is dumping important and is it a must when leveling.

TOO LONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I presume you’re talking about dumping air from the airbags, not dumping holding tanks!😏
When you let the system dump the air, the coach settles down a few inches. That effectively gives the jacks a few more inches of working length, which may let you correct for a slightly more off level site. It may also mean the first step into the door ends up being lower.

TravlinMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #3

My leveling system automatically dumps the air bags when I engage it.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #4

I prefer to manually dump air rather than use auto level. If coach is level to my satisfaction after dumping I may not bother with jacks. Of course if we could ever stay in one place very long I'd use jacks but we have many more one night stays than long ones.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMac View Post
I presume you’re talking about dumping air from the airbags, not dumping holding tanks!😏
When you let the system dump the air, the coach settles down a few inches. That effectively gives the jacks a few more inches of working length, which may let you correct for a slightly more off level site. It may also mean the first step into the door ends up being lower.
Yes sir, I am talking about the air dump and not the holding tanks. Thanks for your reply. So you dont think by not dumping I have done anything bad. By not dumping it just does not settle to a lower position.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
My leveling system automatically dumps the air bags when I engage it.
When you manually put the jacks down??
Old 11-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I prefer to manually dump air rather than use auto level. If coach is level to my satisfaction after dumping I may not bother with jacks. Of course if we could ever stay in one place very long I'd use jacks but we have many more one night stays than long ones.
Thanks for you reply. What happens if you dont dump at all? Besides not settling down
Old 11-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"TOO LONG".....Not dumping the air doesn't hurt the coach, but here's why most do.

First, dumping the tanks lowers the coach, usually about 6". As stated, it gets the front step close to the ground, especially if the campsite is high at the back of the coach. In some sites, the step could be 18" or higher, requiring a portable step.

Second, dumping the tanks give you a greater ability to level the coach since you have more jack extension to level in a sloped campsite.

Third, when the jacks are really extended, they're not as stable. The less you have to extend them the more stable the coach will be.

I dump and use my jacks every time I set up in a campsite. On a rare occasion, where we're just overnighting and leaving early, I may jack use the jacks and not dump.

On coaches with automatic systems, just hit the button and let it do it's thing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #9

Thank you Dutch Star Don. Maybe I did not ask my question very well, but that was the answers I was looking for. Thanks
Old 11-11-2019, 05:40 AM   #10

On an overnight stop and if my site is fairly level, I will not use the jacks nor dump the air. If you have a Full Wall Slide (FWS) you might need to stabilize the rig by dropping your jacks. I don't have a FWS.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
And yes when I manually extend the jacks it dumps the air while I am pushing the extend button. I have the RVA jack system.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO LONG View Post
03 Dutch Star. I have always leveled manually. I m four months in and now just finding the dump switch. Why is dumping important and is it a must when leveling.

I don't know if you have a Freightliner or Spartan chassis. I can't speak on a Freightliner but on a Spartan chassis as the air releases from the suspension system the coach rolls forward 3-4" due to the design of the rear suspension. If you don't dump the air prior to using the jacks as soon as the jacks start to raise the coach the air will automatically start to bleed off because the ride height valves tell it to dump air. When that happens the coach wants to roll forward at the same time the jacks are lifting the coach which causes the jacks to skid across the ground. That puts a lot of pressure on the jack cylinders. Do it on concrete sometime and you can hear the jacks screech across the concrete. It's best to completely dump the suspension prior to lifting with the jacks, then the jacks only have to raise straight up with no side pressure being put on them.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - The only argument I can come up with for dumping the air bags is to lessen the air pressure inside them. When you dump they go down to about 20 PSI (that's a generalization but fairly accurate). If you don't dump the PSI in the bags will be higher but will bleed out as the leveling arms start to release air as the wheel changes position. So in all likelihood you are dumping the bags just slower and at a different rate. I suppose a problem with the bag unseating itself could occur but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Bottom line - automatic is a good thing.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #14

thanks for the help everyone