RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 06:03 AM   #1

Oasis

We have gotten comments about how load the burner is from neighbors and it keeps them awake. We can here it inside as well. You would think it would be quieter in such a nice coach. Has anyone else had complaints, if so has anything been done to quiet it a bit?

vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
We have gotten comments about how load the burner is from neighbors and it keeps them awake. We can here it inside as well. You would think it would be quieter in such a nice coach. Has anyone else had complaints, if so has anything been done to quiet it a bit?

If you are hooked up to 50 amp power and outside temperature is warmer than about 35 degrees, you probably can get by with just using the electrical (AC1 and AC2) and not using burner overnight. Then turn burner on in the morning if necessary.

Have you heard a propane furnace run ? They are not quiet either.

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Love that sound...

I was surprised when we tested the Oasis when buying the coach how loud it was. And when the furnace fans are all running inside, and the burner kicks on, yes, itís louder than I would like. But we are obligated to be in a very cold place for another couple of weeks, (30 high and 16 low!) and I LOVE how nice and warm it keeps everything inside and in the basement. And I still get my long hot showers! Walking through the campgrounds, I hear other rigs just as loud. So mine doesnít seem near so loud anymore! 😏 Of course, I have no way of knowing if yours is louder than normal. (I got a complaint once in a previous rig about propane water heater noise... thereís always someone)
TravlinMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #4

You can buy a Genturi-type muffler for it if you want to try that. Or call the Genturi people and ask how much it helps. In our New Aire, we absolutely need the burner to take a shower with the outside temp below about 5 degrees. With the heated floors, we don't need the burner or heat pumps to heat the coach overnight.

Happy trails
Old 11-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
They make a muffler for it. Has anyone installed one and does it make a difference? When I raised my Oasis exhaust I called them about adding one and was told Newmar didn't design it for one.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHoop View Post
You can buy a Genturi-type muffler for it if you want to try that. Or call the Genturi people and ask how much it helps. In our New Aire, we absolutely need the burner to take a shower with the outside temp below about 5 degrees. With the heated floors, we don't need the burner or heat pumps to heat the coach overnight.

Happy trails
Oops, I meant to say 55 degrees.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A few things.....first, it's a burner, no different than a propane furnace on other RV's, which are just as loud when they run.

Second, my 2014 DS came with a muffler on it, but my 2019 doesn't have one. I don't know what year they quit using the muffler. I called ITR (Oasis) and they said the muffler is still available. I think it's about $150.00. They said that it was Newmar that decided to not to use them. If you have one, it looks like the photo below (my 2014 DS). It would be nice to have a decibel comparison, but I don't recall my 2014 being any quieter than my 2019.

I know some people aren't aware that you can run both elements and the burner at the same time. If you have the electric elements on, you'll substantially cut down on how often the burner comes on. The only time you should be running the burner only, is when there is no shore power.

The OP doesn't say if he's connected to shore power, but if so, why not run the heat pumps if you're concerned about bugging the neighbors. On my 2019, if I have shore power, I can heat my coach five ways, (1) heat pumps, (2) heated floors, (3) fireplace, (4) furnace with just electric elements on, and (5) furnace with the burner on. If you use the furnace with just the electric elements in very cold weather, the system will get hot, but the interior fans will run much longer possibly all night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040981.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	266346
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I had a muffler on mine and knocked it off pulling out from under my carport, then I ran over it. Ordered a new one installed it, did the same thing a month later! 150.00 gone. Decided to do away with the muffler. Didn't make any difference on how loud it is with or without one. If you look at one it's really more of a resonator because the exhaust runs straight thru it there is noth9to dampen the sound.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #9

The ITR muffler makes a noticeable difference. I wanted the muffler mounted as high as possible so I installed a custom length black iron pipe out of the burner box. Now the muffler has about a 1/4” clearance from surrounding metal and doesn’t get unreasonably warm (believe me, I’ve checked!). ITR also has a “muffler” available for the intake air hose that reduces low frequencies even more.
Calpop45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I also tucked my exhaust pipe tighter to the body by using a shorter black pipe, as I was dragging on the steep incline in my backyard. When I checked my 2019 DS, they installed the downpipe really close to a structural rail under the coach. I don't think a muffler can be installed, without it hanging down quite a bit.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #11

Conclusion

OK after reading all these post my conclusion is some of you were wrong and some of you are correct. After talking to Oasis they said that a muffler will definitely make a difference. I could not justify $150 for a glass pack muffler. I purchased a automotive glass pack for less than a 1/3 and it made a huge difference. Now itís about the same if not quieter than a typical propane hot water heater
Old 11-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #12
mre

Long before I had an Oasis system, I always thought it would it would be nice to have quite running propane furnace (mentioned above) and water heater. Also, there are also some noisy ac units. Both furnaces and ac units are also noisy on the inside. I've resigned myself to the fact that the RV lifestyle is sometimes noisy and that's the price we pay for these conveniences. I still think there is a way to quite the inside noise from these units. To be fair, if one is quieted, all should be quieted.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfauto View Post
OK after reading all these post my conclusion is some of you were wrong and some of you are correct. After talking to Oasis they said that a muffler will definitely make a difference. I could not justify $150 for a glass pack muffler. I purchased a automotive glass pack for less than a 1/3 and it made a huge difference. Now itís about the same if not quieter than a typical propane hot water heater
Where did you mount it?
tnedator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Where did you mount it?
I cut a section out of the pipe under the coach(just like in Ducthstardan's picture). The muffler I got was a Trush Glass pack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	267001  

Tags
oasis