RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #29

Okay Tom, that is good enough for me. I will go back to turning it off as part of my "breaking camp" routine. Thanks.

FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #30

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think you guy's will find if you leave the burner switch on, the burner will continue to cycle while traveling. The engine alone can only heat the boiler fluid to about 190* max, which is enough to turn on the heat exchangers, but, when the boiler tank temp drops, if the burner switch is on, the burner is going to fire.
Only one morning I've ran with the burner switched on due to not enough heat out of the exchangers from the engine loop alone.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's my procedure....the day I leave on a trip, I turn on the power at the Oasis unit in the storage bay. Since we live in California, there is never a need for supplemental heat from the Oasis unit, so all switches on the internal panel stay off.

When we arrive and have connected the coach to power, I go to the cabinet above the dash and put out the slides. Once they're out and we're level, I turn on the Winegard Travler and the Oasis heating. This is when I make a decision. If the weather is warm and no need for nighttime heating, I turn on one Oasis electric element. If the weather is colder, I turn on both electric elements.

When we depart, I do the reverse. I turn off the Winegard Travler and turn off all the Oasis switches. The slides come in and then I disconnect power. It's a pretty easy procedure to follow, since you're already operating items in the cabinet, like the slides.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
First I must preface this post by saying I am an Oasis Newbie, my on order Dutch Star will be my first experience with operating an Oasis system, been a propane/Electric hot water heater, propane furnace/ Heat Pump/AC guy for years. So have a lot to learn about the way all these systems have been integrated together. Have read the Tips and tricks Oasis threads and other forum posts to about Oasis System, must say sometimes walk away scratching my head! Have not read the Oasis Operating Manual yet.

So I am wondering if the Oasis manual assumes that the boiler is at ambient temperature when it directs to turn on the burner prior to departure? It is clear that the radiant heaters will not work unless the boiler is at operating temp, and that the engine heat source is not activated until the boiler is at a certain temp. If the boiler has been at operating temp for several days/weeks/months then me would think that the only reason to turn the burner on before getting underway would be to supplement the engine heat source if the engine heat source is not sufficient to carry the load, keeping the hot water hot, and heating of the coach if required.
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #33
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Spikester".....Yes, your engine may take awhile to get hot enough to provide sufficient heat for the system. On a cool day with the coach running on flat ground, my coolant temp will run as low as 178 degrees. It typically runs at 183 the majority of the time.

I will add this. When we travel, I have the Oasis unit turned on at the unit, but I keep all the switches off above the dash. When we arrive at our destination, I always have hot water. So, that means the Summer Loop pump is running when the main unit is on, but all the switches are turned off at the control panel. This brings up the point that you should turn off the main unit when the coach is in storage between trips to increase the life of the summer loop pump. Apparently, from what some have posted, that summer loo pump will run unnecessarily for a period of time before shutting down. That's why part of my procedure includes turning the Oasis unit on the morning we leave and I now turn it off when we break camp, if we're heading directly home.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star Don, great information, thanks.
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here's my procedure....the day I leave on a trip, I turn on the power at the Oasis unit in the storage bay. Since we live in California, there is never a need for supplemental heat from the Oasis unit, so all switches on the internal panel stay off.

When we arrive and have connected the coach to power, I go to the cabinet above the dash and put out the slides. Once they're out and we're level, I turn on the Winegard Travler and the Oasis heating. This is when I make a decision. If the weather is warm and no need for nighttime heating, I turn on one Oasis electric element. If the weather is colder, I turn on both electric elements.

When we depart, I do the reverse. I turn off the Winegard Travler and turn off all the Oasis switches. The slides come in and then I disconnect power. It's a pretty easy procedure to follow, since you're already operating items in the cabinet, like the slides.
As usual You are right again! My test of traveling down the road with the AC1 and AC2 switch off revealed the truth, that I had plenty of hot water this evening, My DW did not yell at me for not turning the hot water heater on and in fact I too was able to take a hot shower before going out for dinner! I thank you for your described procedure to follow. By the way, If by some chance, when setting up camp, I failed to have turned neither the AC1 nor the AC2 switch on and have no hot water at all, the following AM. I immediately turn on the burner and the AC 2 switch and distract my DW for at least 10 min. while the water warms up and then pretend it is some complex reason that I purposely delayed turning on the water heater. She never buys it.
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Pretty funny......I've done the same thing myself. I tell her the system must have glitched and I'll check it. She usually buys the story.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:44 AM   #37
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
OK Neal, I give up... Don explained how the system operates, I have explained how the system operates... IF you have doubts, call ITR. For those of you who insist on turning on AC1, AC2 or AC1 & 2 for heat and hot water while driving... I Highly recommend you turn on your Microwave for 10 minutes before departure! The Microwave will have just as much affect on the system as turning on AC 1, AC 2 or AC 1 & 2!!! Stealth01 Out!!
The thought of leaving the AC1 switch on was to enable the circulating pumps. I have never seen a wiring schematic of the Oasis so I don't know if it does or does not make a difference. If anybody has the wiring schematic, please post it. It is not in the service manual.

Oasis says to leave the oil burner on and the engine heat will take over when it comes up to temperature.

When we are parked we use AC1 and AC2. When we leave to drive in cold wether using the furnace, we do not turn on the oil burner. The water is hot when we leave and stays hot from the engine heat.

I have driven all day in snow with the furnace on and the oil burner off.

Perhaps if the Oasis got cool enough it would stop working without the oil burner on, but I have not seen that happen.

I remember as a young kid, in my parents car, stepping on the brake, activating the turn signal, turning the flashers on, and then the radio would work without the key.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #38

Summer loop on 2019 and prior units will continue to run for very long periods of time until the hot water transfer unit is up to FULL temp. Engine heat will not satisfy the unit, it will only supplement.
This is a known issue. Oasis now uses Flow sensors in 2020 because all the summer loop pumps burn up because for some strange reason, people are not using the burner when not connected to electricity.
The new system uses a flow sensor to only transfer whatever heat level is available to the hot water system when a faucet is run.
The old system (2019 and older) will run the summer loop pump until the water to water exchanger has reached the required temp. With no heating taking place in the boiler because the burner and electric are not available the pump keeps running.
Bottom line is so simple. If the unit is on, some form of heat needs to be selected. If on full hookups, electric is fine. If no electric available the burner needs to be on. The burner uses so little fuel that this should be of no concern. The unit was designed as a diesel burner.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaire1 View Post
Summer loop on 2019 and prior units will continue to run for very long periods of time until the hot water transfer unit is up to FULL temp. Engine heat will not satisfy the unit, it will only supplement.
This is a known issue. Oasis now uses Flow sensors in 2020 because all the summer loop pumps burn up because for some strange reason, people are not using the burner when not connected to electricity.
The new system uses a flow sensor to only transfer whatever heat level is available to the hot water system when a faucet is run.
The old system (2019 and older) will run the summer loop pump until the water to water exchanger has reached the required temp. With no heating taking place in the boiler because the burner and electric are not available the pump keeps running.
Bottom line is so simple. If the unit is on, some form of heat needs to be selected. If on full hookups, electric is fine. If no electric available the burner needs to be on. The burner uses so little fuel that this should be of no concern. The unit was designed as a diesel burner.
Please explain "when the unit is on" - when are the pumps pumping? What turns on the OASIS unit? If burner is OFF and AC I/II is centered (OFF) - are you saying pumps are still running? Or are pumps running when AC I/II is ON and the person is not connected to shore/gen power?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #40

Interesting take by newaire1. I had to have my summer loop replaced at 13 months so what he said got my attention.

I hope this tread finally lands on the "final and best" procedure cause I'm heading out for some travel days Monday!
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #41

I was at the factory helping the techs address this issue. It was another owner who brought it to light. Call Oasis, they are aware. The unit is on anytime the power is on in the lower compartment unit. If the unit has cooled or has not yet been turned on it will not run the summer loop pump. The summer loop circuit has a upper and lower trigger point for the pump. If you unplug to travel and provide no source to heat your boiler you will have your pump running for hours and hours till it hits the min temp and stops.
It’s simple, no heat source is available and the pump keeps transferring trying to satisfy the upper limit that it can not reach without a heat source. So PROVIDE A HEAT SOURCE, select burner anytime unit is operating and has no electricity. Simple fix and your summer loop pump will thank you.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #42

We had every unit in the service building tested and they all did it. Oasis redesigned the unit from this feedback. Why is everyone afraid of the burner? The unit was designed as a diesel boiler and they added electric as a supplement. But all this overthinking has caused people to burn out the pumps. Something needs to heat the water when not plugged in or on generator. For so long everyone said it was a bad run of pumps, but the same pump is used in all zones and everyone summer loop have been going bad.

Tags
oasis