Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question OASIS AC I while driving?

I need to clear something up, some chat in the recent rally about using AC I while driving to circulate the hot water from the engine heat.

After my experience with the OASIS electrical short, I don't see how OASIS does anything without shore power. There are two 120V lines coming in hence AC I and II (one line, both lines of shore power). Neither breaker for these lines is on inverter.

In my opinion, the green light may come on only showing the circuit status of AC I is ON but is it really doing anything? Is there any 12V or inverter circuit I'm not aware of powering recirculating pumps in the OASIS unit?

Help educate me on exactly what happens with AC I while driving and NOT on shore power.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I need to clear something up, some chat in the recent rally about using AC I while driving to circulate the hot water from the engine heat.

After my experience with the OASIS electrical short, I don't see how OASIS does anything without shore power. There are two 120V lines coming in hence AC I and II (one line, both lines of shore power). Neither breaker for these lines is on inverter.

In my opinion, the green light may come on only showing the circuit status of AC I is ON but is it really doing anything? Is there any 12V or inverter circuit I'm not aware of powering recirculating pumps in the OASIS unit?

Help educate me on exactly what happens with AC I while driving and NOT on shore power.
checkout this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/oasi...ed-233151.html
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Thank you.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I understand it this way, but could be wrong. If you decide to use the Oasis heating while driving, the diesel BURNER must be on. So let's say you start out in the morning, you turn on the diesel burner and drive away. Initially, the engine coolant isn't hot enough to heat the coach, so the burner runs. As you continue to drive, the engine coolant gets up to temp and now is hot enough to keep the Oasis heating the coach, without the burner coming on.

To me, the above is similar to what happens when the AC ELEMENTS are on. If you turn on the two AC ELEMENTS and the BURNER, initially the burner will run until the system gets up to temp. Once it does, the AC ELEMENTS are enough to keep it there (up to temp) unless there is a large demand for heat. So...the same thing happens with the engine coolant and diesel burner. The diesel burner gets the system up to temp and the engine coolant eventually gets hot enough and takes over, eliminating the burner coming on, or at least limiting how much it comes on.

As Neal said, I don't see the AC ELEMENTS doing anything while driving, UNLESS they allow sensors to come on (via 12 volts) and allow the pumps to run and circulate heat produced by the engine coolant.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I understand it this way, but could be wrong. If you decide to use the Oasis heating while driving, the diesel BURNER must be on. So let's say you start out in the morning, you turn on the diesel burner and drive away. Initially, the engine coolant isn't hot enough to heat the coach, so the burner runs. As you continue to drive, the engine coolant gets up to temp and now is hot enough to keep the Oasis heating the coach, without the burner coming on.

To me, the above is similar to what happens when the AC ELEMENTS are on. If you turn on the two AC ELEMENTS and the BURNER, initially the burner will run until the system gets up to temp. Once it does, the AC ELEMENTS are enough to keep it there (up to temp) unless there is a large demand for heat. So...the same thing happens with the engine coolant and diesel burner. The diesel burner gets the system up to temp and the engine coolant eventually gets hot enough and takes over, eliminating the burner coming on, or at least limiting how much it comes on.

As Neal said, I don't see the AC ELEMENTS doing anything while driving, UNLESS they allow sensors to come on (via 12 volts) and allow the pumps to run and circulate heat produced by the engine coolant.
I think there is a 12V part of the system that just keeps the coolant circulating to be heated by the engine (distribution system). This is not heating water. That requires the circulation pumps powered by 120V I believe.

My guess is that having AC I or II "ON" signals the 12V system to keep the coolant distributing.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I think DSDon is correct. All I know is that doing it the way he suggests results in both heat and hot water being immediately available at the end of a trip.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I think DSDon is correct. All I know is that doing it the way he suggests results in both heat and hot water being immediately available at the end of a trip.

TJ
Nope, I don't think so per the article. AC I is allowing the OASIS fluid to be heated by the engine which can heat the coach via furnace fans. Burner should not be needed.

The clarification I was seeking was whether AC I or II did anything and it appears there is a 12V power to the distribution module which keeps the heater fluid circulating even though hot water won't flow to the faucets. However, 12V furnaces should heat the coach with the OASIS heater fluid.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I posted this question for this vary reason, many of us don't fully understand the system or the electricals of it. Fixing my short I noticed nothing but 2 x 120V lines but there is more to it than that I learned.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I think there is a 12V part of the system that just keeps the coolant circulating to be heated by the engine (distribution system). This is not heating water. That requires the circulation pumps powered by 120V I believe.

My guess is that having AC I or II "ON" signals the 12V system to keep the coolant distributing.
Neal,
Reread Don's post regarding system operation while driving... Don is spot on! The entire Oasis system will happily operate WITHOUT AC power!! The burner, pumps, thermostats and blowers ALL operate off of 12 VDC! AC power operates the AC I, AC II electrical heaters when connected to shore power.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Neal,
Reread Don's post regarding system operation while driving... Don is spot on! The entire Oasis system will happily operate WITHOUT AC power!! The burner, pumps, thermostats and blowers ALL operate off of 12 VDC! AC power operates the AC I, AC II electrical heaters when connected to shore power.
Yes, I get that, I don't think people understand how it works while driving without burner.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #10

This summer I have shut my AC I/II off on some travel days and obviously not turned on the diesel burner.

If I forget to turn it back to AC I/II after setting up camp and one of us decides to take a shower in a couples hours then.....you guessed it....no hot water.

I feel pretty stupid for not knowing but I would be curious if AC I/II and the diesel burner is shut down then would you have not only hot water while running down the road but would you have furnace heat?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Neal:

You may be correct about not needing the burner in order to have the Oasis system functional during travel. What I do believe is that either the burner or AC1/AC2 must be on in order for the Oasis pumps to run and utilize engine heat. I think one or the other switch (or, maybe both) activate the Oasis pumps. As I said previously, what I do know is that at the end of a long day of travel, even when the generator is not used, we have hot water in the coach.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
To use the Oasis System for heat and hot water while driving you MUST HAVE THE BURNER SWITCH ON!

From the Oasis Users Manual:

Engine Heat Used for Domestic Water or Space Heating
• Start the vehicle engine and let it come up to the normal operating temperature. Turn the burner switch on the Remote Operating Panel to the ON position. The OASIS Heating Module will come up to the set operating temperature range and will cycle OFF. The heat from the vehicle engine will be transferred from the engine to the domestic water and space heating loop.

Again, the pumps and fans are DC voltage operation, not AC voltage! Here is the Oasis wiring diagram, note the AC power routing!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oasis-Wiring-Diagram-internal-ED019-43.pdf (108.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Then back to the original question. Why are people being told to put AC I on while driving and what is that doing for them?
Old 10-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
To use the Oasis System for heat and hot water while driving you MUST HAVE THE BURNER SWITCH ON!

From the Oasis Users Manual:

Engine Heat Used for Domestic Water or Space Heating
• Start the vehicle engine and let it come up to the normal operating temperature. Turn the burner switch on the Remote Operating Panel to the ON position. The OASIS Heating Module will come up to the set operating temperature range and will cycle OFF. The heat from the vehicle engine will be transferred from the engine to the domestic water and space heating loop.

Again, the pumps and fans are DC voltage operation, not AC voltage! Here is the Oasis wiring diagram, note the AC power routing!
That's interesting as I pretty much never have the burner on except top exercise it a few times of the year since we stay in warm weather areas. But after a day of driving, I get plenty of hot water out of the taps. I do generally keep the Oasis on AC I

Tags
oasis