Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Then back to the original question. Why are people being told to put AC I on while driving and what is that doing for them?
According to ITR, whom I just got off the phone with, AC 1 is doing nothing for them! And, if they haven’t activated the burner switch they will not get heat or hot water. As I said previously, the only thing AC power does is drive the two immersion heating elements when connected to shore power and the switch is on. My best assumption is someone doing a PDI doesn’t know what they are talking about (I’m sure you will be surprised to hear that)!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2014 dutchstar it does not have the engine preheat via the oasis. If I need to preheat engine I need to plug in coach and turn on preheat switch on in coach. I think some coaches have the preheat via the oasis and that will allow heat and hot water from engine once up to Temperature. Maybe if that option is installed it will activate circulation pumps if thermostat is calling for heat.
Carl 2014 dutchstar 4364
Greenbarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbarn1 View Post
On my 2014 dutchstar it does not have the engine preheat via the oasis. If I need to preheat engine I need to plug in coach and turn on preheat switch on in coach. I think some coaches have the preheat via the oasis and that will allow heat and hot water from engine once up to Temperature. Maybe if that option is installed it will activate circulation pumps if thermostat is calling for heat.
Carl 2014 dutchstar 4364
We’re not addressing the preheat option, which occurs BEFORE starting the engine (Oasis heats engine). We’re discussing just the opposite, the engine heating the Oasis boiler fluid post engine start. All Oasis equipped coaches have this capability.
Stealth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I understand it this way, but could be wrong. If you decide to use the Oasis heating while driving, the diesel BURNER must be on. So let's say you start out in the morning, you turn on the diesel burner and drive away. Initially, the engine coolant isn't hot enough to heat the coach, so the burner runs. As you continue to drive, the engine coolant gets up to temp and now is hot enough to keep the Oasis heating the coach, without the burner coming on.

To me, the above is similar to what happens when the AC ELEMENTS are on. If you turn on the two AC ELEMENTS and the BURNER, initially the burner will run until the system gets up to temp. Once it does, the AC ELEMENTS are enough to keep it there (up to temp) unless there is a large demand for heat. So...the same thing happens with the engine coolant and diesel burner. The diesel burner gets the system up to temp and the engine coolant eventually gets hot enough and takes over, eliminating the burner coming on, or at least limiting how much it comes on.

As Neal said, I don't see the AC ELEMENTS doing anything while driving, UNLESS they allow sensors to come on (via 12 volts) and allow the pumps to run and circulate heat produced by the engine coolant.
At the International Rally a couple of weeks ago I talked to the Oasis tech (I believe Brent was his name) who did the one year maintenance on our New Aire for a very reasonable price. A bonus while I watched and learned was the bypass option to purge the air out of the fuel line after replacing the fuel filter with a new, empty fuel filter. We also discussed the engine heat lines and their function. He stated to turn on the burner before driving and once the engine heated up the burner not need to come on again. He stated that AC 1 and AC2 were not needed.
BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Stealth01;4998543]We’re not addressing the preheat option, which occurs BEFORE starting the engine (Oasis heats engine). We’re discussing just the opposite, the engine heating the Oasis boiler fluid post engine start. All Oasis equipped coaches have this capability.[/QUOTE
Greenbarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Just had to travel in some chilly weather. Ran the Oasis for heat in the front of the cabin. No switches on, just with the thermostat set higher than the cabin temperature. (This system is tied into the panel (KIB?) that has the tank levels etc.) The reason for the diesel running at first is to get the boiler up to temp. The heat exchanger fans will not turn on until a minimum temperature is reached. We had heat just as we have had before and also with an Aquahot unit. If the weather is really cold there may not be enough excess engine heat to run the system but I hope you don't have to be in those conditions. As stated above, the Oasis is a 12 volt appliance with the exception of the two electric elements.

Tom
Old 10-15-2019, 11:21 PM   #21

I Have been Traveling cross country for the last 6 weeks. Using the Oasis for hot water only. If I do not turn on the AC1 or AC2 switch when traveling I do not have much hot water. As long as I don't forget to flip the switch to AC1 in the AM when departing, I will have enough hot water for at least 2 showers in the PM. If we plan on hot showers , doing loads of laundry plus using the dishwasher I better have remembered to flip the switch to AC2 (if on 50 amps) when I connect to shore power or be prepared to run the diesel burner.
So the AC1 switch does do something in allowing the circulation of the engine heat in the Oasis. Having the burner switch on will also allow the engine to heat and circulate the fluid but the burner will fire initially and intermittently if using the furnace to heat the coach going down the road. To test this, in the AM I will leave the switch on AC2 when I depart and see how loud my DW screams when she tells me there is no hot water 2min in to her evening shower.
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:01 AM   #22
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I travel in cold weather often using the furnace without the oil burner switch on. The trick is to start out with hot water so the circulating pumps are working. If you start out with cold water it will not work.

I turn on the oil burner and let it come to temperature with the engine running then turn it off. In the past I would leave the AC1 switch on but as Neal said it probably doesn't make any difference.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:14 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
OK Neal, I give up... Don explained how the system operates, I have explained how the system operates... IF you have doubts, call ITR. For those of you who insist on turning on AC1, AC2 or AC1 & 2 for heat and hot water while driving... I Highly recommend you turn on your Microwave for 10 minutes before departure! The Microwave will have just as much affect on the system as turning on AC 1, AC 2 or AC 1 & 2!!! Stealth01 Out!!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
OK Neal, I give up... Don explained how the system operates, I have explained how the system operates... IF you have doubts, call ITR. For those of you who insist on turning on AC1, AC2 or AC1 & 2 for heat and hot water while driving... I Highly recommend you turn on your Microwave for 10 minutes before departure! The Microwave will have just as much affect on the system as turning on AC 1, AC 2 or AC 1 & 2!!! Stealth01 Out!!

Haha, nothing to give up on. I posted this thread as I agree with your finding. I was once told to use AC I while driving but later clued in on how the electrical works aka the wiring and also the two AC lines are only on shore power as viewed in the circuit breaker box. This thread was posted to help clear up this myth. There is too much bad info out there much of which comes from the factory where too many people believe the techs know these systems and also camping.

AC I or II does nothing when not on shore power or GEN. Those two options are for 120V lines only. AC I is for line 1 which is fine for 30 AMP as that’s a single line and AC II means two lines from shore power aka 50 AMP.

Want hot water or furnace heat then turn burner on. The burner is an on demand system. It only runs when needed.

It’s your coach. Believe what you want.

This thread is answered.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Ken, I think you are correct and have explained how the system works as designed.

My salesman (2 years ago) told me to simply leave mine in AC I/II all the time and if I found it wasn't keeping up with hot water demand or furnace then turn the diesel burner on also.

So basically this is good advise? If AC I/II has to have shore power or generator on to function then it doesn't hurt to just leave it on. Obviously with that on and plugged in when you take off your fluid should be hot enough and the engine will take over while traveling. When you set up camp and plug in you don't have to worry about not having hot water later because you always leave AC I/II on.

So would you agree that someone as simple as me has this close to correct?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It’s the same as your induction cooktop. It’s always on but until shore power or gen comes on it won’t get power.

I don’t want a big load to spike when shore power comes on so I turn off the AC I and II switch. I also personally turn off the breakers for the induction cooktop and washer/dryer. That’s just my preference.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - Just had to travel in some chilly weather. Ran the Oasis for heat in the front of the cabin. No switches on, just with the thermostat set higher than the cabin temperature. (This system is tied into the panel (KIB?) that has the tank levels etc.) The reason for the diesel running at first is to get the boiler up to temp. The heat exchanger fans will not turn on until a minimum temperature is reached. We had heat just as we have had before and also with an Aquahot unit. If the weather is really cold there may not be enough excess engine heat to run the system but I hope you don't have to be in those conditions. As stated above, the Oasis is a 12 volt appliance with the exception of the two electric elements.

Tom
Well stated. I rarely need to have diesel burner on while underway. Maybe 2-3 times temps were cold enough I wasn't waiting for the Cummins to warm the boiler fluid & used burner. As a fact, while traveling, with neither electric elements nor diesel burner on I always have hot water for hand washing due to engine heat warming the Oasis.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Fljoe -That's a 30 amp jolt to the transfer switch every time you plug into a campground. That's likely to shorten the life of the contacts from arcing. Probably better to turn off the electric elements before pulling out/ coming into of camp.

Tom

Tags
oasis