Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Oasis again...big temperature fluctuations

I have a Schizophrenic Oasis in our Essex!

At our first visit to Newmar our service tech noticed water in the basement near the Oasis. He opened up the back, found a leak and fixed it. I mentioned that the hot water temp seemed low, so he "fully" opened up the Mixing Valve. Now I got hot water, BUT...

My hot water gets warm pretty quickly, then it goes cold for about a minute, then it gets hot enough to wash dishes or shower.

Now here's what's weird. If after two minutes, say in the shower, you turn off the water for a couple of minutes, the hot water will become scalding I mean MUCH hotter than before. I'm assuming that is due to the Mixing Valve being fully open.

I've also noticed the above hot water temperature cycle even after I hear the Oasis cycle on and off??? For some reason our Oasis doesn't seem to keep our water really hot. But upon use with a pause for a couple of minutes it REALLY gets hot.

What's your experience???

Question #2. Has anyone had their Oasis serviced at Newmar?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The mixing valve sets the maximum water temperature. The distribution box contains an aquastat which controls the water temperature. it could have moved away from the tubing or could be defective. the Oasis burner cycles indirectly with the aqua stat, because the water is heated by the antifreeze, which is heated by the burners.the burners will come on when the antifreeze temperature goes bellow a set limit.
Newmar can service and repair the Oasis system.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would not go back to Newmar to have your Oasis serviced after hearing what the first serviceman did with your mixing valve.

The function of the mixing valve is to mix cold water with the scalding water such that the temperature of the hot water serving the faucets will be about 125F degrees.

I would find yourself a certified Aqua-Hot/Oasis service technician to go over your entire unit and fix what Newmar has screwed up.

If you are in Texas I would recommend Iron Horse RV near San Antonio TX.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I would not go back to Newmar to have your Oasis serviced after hearing what the first serviceman did with your mixing valve.

The function of the mixing valve is to mix cold water with the scalding water such that the temperature of the hot water serving the faucets will be about 125F degrees.

I would find yourself a certified Aqua-Hot/Oasis service technician to go over your entire unit and fix what Newmar has screwed up.

If you are in Texas I would recommend Iron Horse RV near San Antonio TX.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
We are currently in New York but are heading to Newmar for our final warranty service appointment. The tech that adjusted out Mixing Valve was not their Oasis Certified Tech but was nice enough to spot the water leak and fix it.

My experiences at Newmar have always been good (I've been going there since 2005). However they have just started servicing the Oasis. I'm looking for some feedback from someone who's used their Oasis Service???
Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Dan,
Newmar have been using and servicing Oasis for a long time. My 2008 Dutch Star and my friends 2011 Mountain Air has been serviced (annual service) many times. Other than that I had a recall fix on the hot water aquastat performed by them and my friend had repairs done by them.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Andy. I had the idea that this was a "new" service option.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dan.....Our DS was the first coach with hydronic heating. At first I didn't care for it and still on the fence a little, especially living in California with usually warm weather.

I found that my shower never got hot enough for me. I'm guessing it doesn't get hotter than 105 degrees. I was also unhappy with how hot my coach would stay when the system was on, then learned about the summer loop that only heats the water.

I kept calling Oasis with my issues (very friendly and helpful) and they told me how to adjust the water temp with the flow valve. A couple of points that were made is that if the ground water is really cold, the unit will not perform as well. In this case they recommend using your tank water and then refill your tank.

After adjusting the valve I finally got my water hot enough that I have to turn it down some. I also found that once I turn the shower on and the water gets hot, I turn the shower off for a moment and then back on and the water seems to get hotter. I can't explain why this is happening.

I was told there is an adjustment at the rear of the shower valve to control temp, but have yet to check it out.

Lastly, the heat produced by the Oasis system, even when idling, makes my storage bays very warm. I noticed this a month a go while camping in San Diego. I leaned into the bay at about 11:00pm to put some chairs away and was amazed how hot it was. This brings up two concerns I have. One, they located the Magnum inverter in between the frame rails at the top of the center bay (a lot of constant heat for the inverter). Second, I believe the hot storage bays radiate up into the coach and keep it warmer during the day and evenings. I've never had a coach that won't cool down and equalize with the outside air after the windows are open all night.

I just bought a four pack of 5" computer fans and intend to make a fan system to draw the hot air out of the bays. I thought about just leaving a bay door partially open and mounting the fans in the opening. I'm now thinking that I will use the fans, connected to a tube that will draw air from the top of the bays between the frame rails and discharge it out an opening that will not require me to leave the bay doors unlocked.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I just bought a four pack of 5" computer fans and intend to make a fan system to draw the hot air out of the bays. I thought about just leaving a bay door partially open and mounting the fans in the opening. I'm now thinking that I will use the fans, connected to a tube that will draw air from the top of the bays between the frame rails and discharge it out an opening that will not require me to leave the bay doors unlocked.
Don, I've been thinking about the same idea using the Dryer Vent as the exhaust and Marine Engine-room Vent for the intake. Using a flexible dryer vent hose would be easy to route. And placing the Dryer exhaust on the upper part of the Bay Door just ahead of the Drive Axle but near the hinge should be easy to setup. Plus if you get these parts in chrome there's no painting involved!!!

If you do this please post pictures!

I'm going to do a conference call this afternoon with Newmar and Oasis to discuss the problem. In the end I believe it will be adjusted/repaired at Newmar, as I have a late September repair appt.

Thanks for the great description.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Dan, I have had a lot of the same issues. All faucets will come on, reach medium hot, then revert to cold for around 10-15 seconds, then rise to their warmest temp. In the TX heat the water gets scortching hot, but up here in the Pacific NW I've noticed it never really gets hot enough to shower. I posted this months ago but was told that's the way it operates....don't believe that! Not sure ewhat to do either, but will be interested in hearing what they do with your system at the factory.

I seem to have similar issues with the HVAC thermostat. It'll continue to run when inside temps are 4-5 degrees below set point, while the setting of a lower temp than ambient will not always turn them on.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Dan, I have had a lot of the same issues. All faucets will come on, reach medium hot, then revert to cold for around 10-15 seconds, then rise to their warmest temp. In the TX heat the water gets scortching hot, but up here in the Pacific NW I've noticed it never really gets hot enough to shower. I posted this months ago but was told that's the way it operates....don't believe that! Not sure ewhat to do either, but will be interested in hearing what they do with your system at the factory.

I seem to have similar issues with the HVAC thermostat. It'll continue to run when inside temps are 4-5 degrees below set point, while the setting of a lower temp than ambient will not always turn them on.
Slab,

Because we run a Whole-house RO system we are always running off the Fresh Water Tank. As a result our "Inlet" water temps to the Oasis are warmer and more stable. The colder the water in to the Oasis, the colder the water out to your shower. Try increasing the mixing valve as previously suggested.

We have found the problem with our thermostat. The bedroom Thermistor is defective. It always shows 70° in the bedroom. This was easy to demonstrate. Simply remove the small round cover then place your finger on the tip of the Thermistor. You should be able to watch the temps rise for that location on your RV-C panel.