RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #1

Oasis Burner Problem

Out of nowhere the diesel burner side of the Oasis unit in our 2018 DSDP quit working yesterday. After performing the troubleshooting protocol in ITR’s manual, I arrived at “Call ITR”. Thay asked me to redo many of the same troubleshooting steps before saying “I don’t know what going on.” I’m frustrated because we’re in a situation requiring the use of the burner.
The problem: At first, the burner attempted to light, burned for a half second, repeated this, then shut down. Seemed to be a classic flameout. ITR and I determined that the fuel supply is good to the nozzle, and we have tested two different igniters. Both igniters would work properly in a test, but then a few minutes later would not. They are supposed to stay hot for about 10 seconds. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don’t. All other functions work well (fans, etc, and the electric element option). At the moment, neither igniter will glow at any time.
Thoughts? Is there a control board? Is there another test that could be run? I’m going to call ITR first thing Monday, and would appreciate having some “ammunition”!

Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #2

My unit is a 2015 so this fix may not apply - but - I had the same symptoms as you describe. ITR advised me to add a ground wire from the metal cover of the control panel to the cover on the burn chamber. That resolved the issue and
no problems since. It is the green wire with yellow connectors in the picture. I threaded the new ground wire in the existing wiring harness to hold it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B2F92256-6514-410F-A04E-8ED5D6C2ABC1_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	265687  

TheBigBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have at least a quarter tank of fuel?

You don't say wether you are using the owner's manual or the service manual. Just in case you don't have the service manual, I have attached it here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oasis_Service_Manual.pdf (1.08 MB, 5 views)
Old 11-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #4

We had a similar issue and Newmar replaced the fuel nozzle. Problem solved. Has that part replacement been discussed?
Old 11-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #5

Thanks for prompt responses!
Ground wire: The green front cover has a dedicated ground wire, but not the burner cover. I will install that.
Manual: Yes, using service manual with problem flowcharts, but I will review your link to see if its an updated version.
Nozzle: Interesting you mention this. Since new delivery the Oasis system has apparently run rich on the diesel setting, with strong odor, black soot on the ground at the exhaust, and oily residue around the nozzle. Newmar was unable to correct this complaint this past summer when we stopped for service. I recently contacted ITR for input on this, and was advised to reduce the nozzle orifice from .052 to .050. They supplied the new nozzle and I installed it. I have verified correct installation of the nozzle O-ring. That was two weeks ago. The system has been operating well (no significant odor or soot) until this issue.
BTW: ITR directed me to verify proper fuel delivery (with the new .050 nozzle) by removing the fuel block, pointing it to the outside of the coach, and verifying that the atomized spray reached a distance of 24 when the system was energized. Not a comfortable or necessarily safe test, but it was successful!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #6

make sure your air intake is not clogged....or the internal black hose is not oriented in such a way that it is up against the front cover when the cover is in place....

it could be starved for air....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had similar problems in the past, and it was the flame sensor. Did they have you check that?
Old 11-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #8

Fuel: 3/4 tank
Combustion air hoses/connections: will check all connections. I’ve checked fuel lines, but not air hoses.
Sensor: No, it has not been checked. Cleaned, but not checked. I will check the troubleshooting manual for procedures, but I suspect that the “check” is simply to replace with a new one.

I will also check coolant level. It has been mentioned that a low level could cause problems. It seems that the level drops over time.

Continued thanks to all!
Old 11-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
OK, just a silly question or two... 1.). What is the level of your Oasis overflow tank in the engine bay? 2.). If the tank service level is adequate, CONFIRM the tank siphon is intact and not compromised allowing air into the system and 3.). What is the level of boiler fluid in the heat module? NOTE: ALLOW THE SYSTEM TO COOL BEFORE OPENING!!!
Old 11-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #10

Also had same problem. Replaced flame sensor at 24 months and solved the problem.
nctrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #11

Spent the day checking and rechecking everything I can think of.
Replaced the flame sensor with a known good but used one.
Checked overflow tank level in engine bay, it was at max when cold.
Checked for restricted combustion air flow. It was ok.
Verified that fuel atomized and sprayed roughly 24 inches.
I have saved various pieces and parts from previous maintenance procedures and installed and checked four old igniters. Chose the one that exhibited the largest area of “glow” and installed it. There is noticeable difference in the amount and duration of the “glow” between the igniters.
Checked all hoses and elec connections.
I will verify fluid level at the heating unit tomorrow, and check the siphon tube.
Reassembled, and: No glow, no flame, and a flame out red light! All other lights were green during the lighting attempt.
Since the igniter operation is erratic, I suspect the control board, but there may be another control device that I’m not aware of. The service manual even refers to a bad hour meter as causing flame out!
What think you?
Old 11-04-2019, 05:14 AM   #12

such frustration...my guess would also be an electrical (i.e. control) issue...
seems like most things mechanical have already been checked...and there is not much to the mechanical side of things....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Calpop45,
HEADS UP!! If your Oasis overflow tank is full while cold and your reservoir tank on the burner box is serviced, you’re going to dump lots of boiler fluid on the ground when the system heats... How did the tank get full when cold???
Old 11-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the reservoir is full when cold and you didn't fill it that high, the reservoir siphon tube has come out. Air is getting sucked into the unit and coolant is getting pushed out. I had this happen to me. I was able to fish the tube out of the bottom of the tank and managed to carefully get it back in place.

Tags
oasis, problem