RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

Oasis domestic water

I know this has probably been discussed many times, and I have read all that I can find on this site, so here goes another question about hot water failure in our Oasis system.

I have done the air purge process by ordering a small 12VDC pump, purging the air bubbles out and getting hot water to flow. WONDERFUL! For about a day. Now we are back to the beginning. The boiler is HOT! The water faucet gives hot water for a few seconds but quickly goes to warm, lukewarm and cold. Running the setup pump (switch on top of the silver control box) no longer helps.

Many posts have mentioned that the check valves need to be tapped sometimes to free them up and allow proper operation. I have tapped, vibrated, whacked and cussed the valves, but still have cold water.

Have allowed plenty of time for things to adjust, but still get hot water only for about five seconds.

Are there any other magic tricks to try? We are still about a month from getting back home, and would really like to have this mess working.

Any help?

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #2

Well, I guess it comes down to two ways to make hot water. Electric element or firing up the diesel. So, which one is it?

Our Aquahot gives us hot water both ways. If your on electric or diesel you may have issues with the temperature sensors, hi and/or low limit, cutting out on you. That would be the first thing to look at IF your hot water cuts out on both. If itís electric and the sensors are good, then maybe your electric element has an issue. If diesel, does it stop firing on you? Last time you had the maintenance done on it?

Your going to have to be more specific. And your going to have to do some trouble shooting to narrow it down to a specific component....

Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Try replacing the summer loop pump.

Jerry & Judy
Fremont, California
2017 Dutch Star 4018, Freightliner
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
It does sound like a failing pump; probably the summer loop pump.

TJ
Old 10-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Still no joy. The boiler IS hot as I said; it works fine on diesel or electric. The summer pump is working. I have tried to jar the infamous check valves loose, to no avail.

Still stumped. I will call the Oasis office tomorrow and let them walk me through it.

The good news that thanks to suggestions from this forum, I am able to get hot water by turning on the furnace loop one and trick the system into allowing hot water to flow. Why that works, I have no idea, but it does. I couldn't do that last week because we needed the air conditioning; this week it's much cooler so we can turn on the "furnace" to get showers and dish washing handled. "Small favors" as they say.

So, if I get answers I will post here.

Thanks for trying.

Tom
Old 10-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Oasis domestic water

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM GUY View Post
Thanks for the replies. Still no joy. The boiler IS hot as I said; it works fine on diesel or electric. The summer pump is working. I have tried to jar the infamous check valves loose, to no avail.

Still stumped. I will call the Oasis office tomorrow and let them walk me through iit

The good news that thanks to suggestions from this forum, I am able to get hot water by turning on the furnace loop one and trick the system into allowing hot water to flow. Why that works, I have no idea, but it does. I couldn't do that last week because we needed the air conditioning; this week it's much cooler so we can turn on the "furnace" to get showers and dish washing handled. "Small favors" as they say..........

You donít need to turn the furnace on to get hot water, just turn on the bypass switch on top of the control panel in the Oasis Bay. This does circulate hot fluid through the heating system but the fans donít turn on. For the short time you need hot water this wonít hinder your a/c much. Just remember to turn the switch off as soon as you no longer need hot water.

Youíre not really tricking the system with the bypass switch. What you are doing is using the two pumps that are used for coach heating to circulate hot fluid to the distribution module instead of using the summer loop pump.

Jerry & Judy
Fremont, California
2017 Dutch Star 4018, Freightliner
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #7

Did you get your problem resolved? What was wrong? We need help too.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #8

Well, I'm not sure. We got through the last part of the trip by using the bypass switch. That runs both circulation pumps to keep boiler fluid going to the heaters and also to the summer loop. The domestic water is nice and hot, but the heater cores are also hot. The circulation fans don't run, but the cabinets get quite warm. That was no problem in NC and Georgia, but back in Florida it became a nuisance.

The best diagnostic I can come up with is that the little proportional valve that controls how hot the water taps get is stuck or crudded up. That valve is in the distribution box. It hangs upside down behind a motor and a bunch of pipes/tubes, etc.

The owners manual says that every six months or so the owner is supposed turn that valve a turn or so, then reset it back where it was. REALLY?That That valve is inside a metal enclosure hidden in a bay with six screws holding a cover on. The user is supposed to take out the screws, remove the cover, FIND the valve, rotate the knob, put it all back together and believe that things will be all right for a few months.

I'm quite sure that mine has never been moved. At this time it CANNOT be moved. Iv'e tried everything I can, but it will not rotate.

Next I will try to remove the entire valve and either clean it out or replace it.

I know my rant isn't helping you any, and whatever your problem is may very well not be similar to mine, but the system can be good if you can find which problem (or problems!) it is experiencing. The company, ITR, has good people who are willing to help, but it can take a while to work through it all.

Probably didn't help, but feel to ask again.

Tom
Old 12-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the proportional valve was the problem the bypass switch would not work to get hot water.

It sounds to me your summer loop pump or check valve is bad. Are you sure the summer loop pump is turning? I thought I read here somewhere that it is possible for the motor to turn when the pump is not.

Here is a drawing of the distribution box.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #10

Well, Paul, you may very well be right. Thanks for the thoughts; I have been studying the schematic you sent, and finally see the possibilities. I have molested that summer loop check valve until I fear for its life, but I can see that if it is stuck closed, that would prevent the thermal block from getting any heat. It would be hot for a short time but then get cool. Also, if it's jammed but leaking a little, the water could come out warm; what we get now is hot for a short time then barely warm. That was why I decided it was the mix valve.

My mix valve is definitely stuck in one position, so it needs help for sure, but when I get into it I will make sure that everything is correct. If that fails I could consider using high explosives. OK, maybe not...............

Tom
Old 12-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #11

Check your fuses in the silver oasis box. Mine had blown when the pump locked up.

Brutusiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis, water