Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #1

Coastal Campers
Oasis exhaust

Is it a good or bad idea for the oasis exhaust to exit on the passenger side? I have seen some models with exhaust on either side, so which is better for the owner of the coach? If I am outside, in the cold, watching TV or sitting, and the exhaust is on the pass side, do I get a lot of fumes?
Can it, or are there owners, who move it to the driver side? So you make your neighbor unhappy? So any benefits, pro's or con's?
Thanks..
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #2

As an owner, I am glad mine exits on the drivers side. That way if I'm outside near the entry door I don't get the fumes.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
X2 "ByeTheWay"
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
DS Don's MOD Section at the bottom of QT's # 3 has some work done on his OASIS to redirect exhaust pipe location this link is in the middle of one of his MOD threads..
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #5

Coastal Campers
Thanks "007".
So it looks like they exit on the pass side because of the slide concern?
If there is a FWS on the driver side, I guess it goes to pass....
Any safety issues for it going to the driver side under the FWS?
I mean, just because someone does it doesn't necessarily mean it is safe.
It would be nice not to have to smell this while enjoying the outdoors.
Thanks again..
Old 02-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
Thanks "007".
So it looks like they exit on the pass side because of the slide concern?
If there is a FWS on the driver side, I guess it goes to pass....
Any safety issues for it going to the driver side under the FWS?
I mean, just because someone does it doesn't necessarily mean it is safe.
It would be nice not to have to smell this while enjoying the outdoors.
Thanks again..
I'm not sure the FWS is the critical factor. The Oasis exhaust for the MADP 4047 exits on the driver side even though there's a FWS on that side. Not sure what the rationale is for passenger-side exhaust, but I think it is a lousy idea due to the proximity of the entry door.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Having the Oasis exhaust on either passenger or driver's side is a bad implementation. You either inhale the fumes while sitting on your porch or your poor neighbor gets blasted on his porch. Ours is on the driver's side and I feel guilty every time I turn on the burner while my neighbor sits outside.
The better solution would be to route the exhaust to the back of the motorhome IMHO.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Having the Oasis exhaust on either passenger or driver's side is a bad implementation. You either inhale the fumes while sitting on your porch or your poor neighbor gets blasted on his porch. Ours is on the driver's side and I feel guilty every time I turn on the burner while my neighbor sits outside.
The better solution would be to route the exhaust to the back of the motorhome IMHO.
It is actually better than the older propane furnace exhaust; it pointed directly at a neighbor...and, it was far noisier. Running the Oasis exhaust to the back of the coach really isn't a practical solution due to length of the run and routing issues.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #9

another aspect to be aware of is that there are at least two different versions of the exhaust fan motor......the standard version, and the high capacity version....the one installed in your oasis is dependent on the length and makeup of the exhaust run.....

after talking with ITR, on my DS, i have confirmed that i have the standard exhaust. i also have determined that based on the length of my exhaust run, and the 90 and 45 degree sweeps in the run, that i am about at the max distance for that motor. i am considering upgrading the motor to the high capacity version. i do get some diesel exhaust fumes from time to time; less that i think a buddy gets on his ventana. ITR told me that using the standard capacity motor in an exhaust run that is about at the limit of the ability of the motor can cause higher levels of fumes.

i post this, so that if anyone is considering re-routing their oasis exhaust, they should talk to ITR about it first...

for me, i have no problem with the location of the exhaust on my rig. i just want to ensure that i get the least chance of fumes. so i will upgrade the motor. IIRC ITR told me it was around $225 for the motor, and it appears to be a very simple swap.
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #10

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post

i post this, so that if anyone is considering re-routing their oasis exhaust, they should talk to ITR about it first...

That's good advice. If my future coach is pass side I will do my homework...
Thanks again for the above replies.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #11

I've been debating about this after our trip to Maine and having the oasis running while sitting out watching the stars. Dumps right into where we end up on many occasions. I was thinking putting a dryer vent tube on the end and directing past us or towards the back might work. Have to measure how hot it gets one day and see what the flexible alum vents can handle??
lefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My coach came with the exhaust exiting on the passenger side between the two slides. One of my issues, it hung too low and rubbed when backing the coach uphill into it's parking spot. I shortened the pipe coming out of the bottom of the motor home, thus tucking the exhaust tighter to the frame. I also flipped it, so it exited the driver's side, taking several feet out of the piping run.

As for the exhaust exiting under the FWS, it has not been an issue after four years. It just doesn't get that hot or create enough fumes to smell it. A correctly working Oasis should be very hard to smell.

As to which side, I prefer the driver's side. The way we camp, we rarely use the Oasis burner as the two electric elements are enough. Even if you use the burner more often, it means that the weather is cold and most won't be sitting out where it will be offensive. Typically, it only runs for a few minutes every so often.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #13

With our 4037 Ventana, it exited on Passenger side. We found when parked with Bedroom slide extended, we would get fumes coming in the little slider windows on either side of the bedroom - annoying !
After a rough stretch of I 70 knocked the tailpipe portion off the muffler, I rerouted it to exit on Drivers side. Much better option in my opinion.
If we end up parked tight to neighbors on that side, we try to limit our usage to when they are not sitting outside.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote