RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #1

Oasis fluid consumption

Just bought a new to me gently used 2011 DutchStar and it has an Oasis system. The fluid appears to be vanishing from the reservoir. There is NO leaks anywhere that I can see outside the coach.

Had it at the "cold fill" line, ran the system for a period of time and the res is very low. Not sure where to even start to hunt with no visible leaks.

It's not been run in forever and very low hours. Could there be air in the system thats caused the fluid level to decrease?

Turbo38sfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It could have been repaired or had the fuel filter replaced and is self bleeding the air out. I think I would refill and see if it finally stabilizes.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It could have been repaired or had the fuel filter replaced and is self bleeding the air out. I think I would refill and see if it finally stabilizes.
Kind of what I was thinking too. Gotta track down some fluid locally now.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have a Hurricane heater which is the predecessor of the Oasis. It's possible that air bubbles are coming out of the system, but my experience has been that if you're losing fluid then you have a slow leak somewhere. Tighten all hose clamps you can find!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same thing happen with my 2012 Ventana. The problem with my system was a leak of fluid in the burner box. When you would look in the sight glass on the box you could see condensation which was caused by the fluid leak. Ended up having to have the system replaced.
millerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
I had the same thing happen with my 2012 Ventana. The problem with my system was a leak of fluid in the burner box. When you would look in the sight glass on the box you could see condensation which was caused by the fluid leak. Ended up having to have the system replaced.
I just took the Oasis cover off and though it's not wet inside the box, I can see evidence of a leak with fluid residue inside. Great!
Old 04-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #7

I would suspect it is leaking somewhere. I had a similar event. The Oasis fluid was down a little every time I checked it. I could find no signs of leaking beneath the coach. Newmar factory service checked it and found a loose hose clamp below and behind the washer. Once tightened, no loss in fluid.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

It might be leaking only when the system is hot and under pressure.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
It might be leaking only when the system is hot and under pressure.
I did find a leak the other day after posting at one of the fittings. I crawled in the basement compartment on the opposite side of the Oasis so I'm looking at the back of it now. Where the lines come off the back of the unit, I saw a drop of fluid leaking. Not fast at all, just a drop, but when under pressure I'm sure it's worse. Anyways, when I touched the crimp clamp of the hose, it squirted. So that hose clamp ain't quite doing the job. Going to get a regular automotive 1/2 clamp and double up there and should fix me up. Looks like that's the only spot I could find.

Where would the lines actually go that carry the glycol fluid, those aren't routed through the heat exchanges IN the coach right? That's just hot water going through those or is the glycol going throughout it all?
Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 AM   #10
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo38sfi View Post

Where would the lines actually go that carry the glycol fluid, those aren't routed through the heat exchanges IN the coach right? That's just hot water going through those or is the glycol going throughout it all?
Glycol is the fluid that is carrying "heat" to all the heat exchangers in the coach. It's a better heat transfer liquid than is water and it's antifreeze so it doesn't freeze easily in cold weather.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Glycol is the fluid that is carrying "heat" to all the heat exchangers in the coach. It's a better heat transfer liquid than is water and it's antifreeze so it doesn't freeze easily in cold weather.
OK, that's what I thought. So is it really just going from the reservoir to the oasis and back? 2 lines, one coming, one going?
Old 04-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #12
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo38sfi View Post
OK, that's what I thought. So is it really just going from the reservoir to the oasis and back? 2 lines, one coming, one going?
I think the Oasis is more complicated than my Hurricane, but that's how my unit works. It is one continuous loop; the fans are controlled by thermostats in different zones, but the fluid circulates throughout the entire loop.

Tags
fluid, oasis