Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quick question If there is no fresh water in the system can the Oasis system still be used for heat?
barnegatepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnegatepic View Post
Quick question If there is no fresh water in the system can the Oasis system still be used for heat?
Yes! The elements and the burner only heat glycol. The glycol is what runs through the air movers. The water is heated by transfer of heat from the glycol to the water, so no damage if no water is present
Old 11-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #17

One way to get more hot water for shower is to use the water from your fresh water tank and your water pump. The water will warm up in the bay and you will not have to heat the cold water as it comes from the city water
Steve Mosher
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Bill-- thanks... we had low 30's last night in St. Augustine and I had it on auto, but didn't have the burner on..... I'll change that for tonight.
The Oasis is new to us (love it!)all I have ever had is LP heat & hot water. No electric options or heat pumps. With the DS we can absolutely get by with no burner & AC only maybe 75% of the time. Problem is we experienced exactly what you described one cold morning last fall. Add to that we have run thin on hot water a couple times with back to back showers. Now I just leave the burner on and the AC1 on also. I assume leaving the AC1 on with the burner "aids" so the burner really only kicks in with peak demand. If we full timed I might go back to trying to remember to hit the burner only when needed.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:56 AM   #19

Just curious how noisy the burner is (in comparison to say a generator)? I have beard some heating units in a park be as loud as a jet engine, but I'm guessing, while not silent, this is not one of those, correct?
Old 11-22-2016, 04:34 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ours is not much louder than a propane furnace firing up. Certainly not comparable to a jet engine.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:22 AM   #21

Quote twojayhawks ( Now I just leave the burner on and the AC1 on also. I assume leaving the AC1 on with the burner "aids" so the burner really only kicks in with peak demand.)

On ours the electric and the burner turn on at the same time. I would rather the burner only kick on when the electric is not enough. Maybe the newer units are different.

Also when on the road we can not get heat without turning on the burner even though the engine is heating also. It heats enough that when arriving at a campground and turning on the electric elements they don't come on due to already being hot from the engine.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Couple of tips and statements here.
1. Hot water heat is way more efficient than air blown heat. It is good to cycle your heat pumps from time to time but the HW system heats better. Also the Oasis is more like radiant heat which heats up the surrounding objects (floor, cupboards etc) and provides a way better comfort zone.
2. Your Oasis system will have 2 or 3 zones. The zone that has the thermostat should be set lower set point temperature than the others in order to "even" the heat out through the coach. Lets say Zone 3 (bedroom area) is near the thermostat and you want 70*F in the coach. Set Zone 3 to 68, then set the middle Zone 2 to say 70 then set the front of the coach to 72. What this does is "work the Zones even as one Zone will have an effect on the next. And, believe it, the Oasis system will cycle less.
If you notice the coach will have slightly different temperatures as you walk from one end to the other with all Zones set to the same temp. It basically is trial and error to get the happy medium. By rights there should be a separate t'stat for each zone located within the zone they control. I am a hot water heat nut and my houses are heated this way. It only took me about 2 hours to figure out this for our coach on the drive back from Vancouver to Calgary.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Just what I was searching for, but have another question on the hot water

I am still a newb to this also and was wondering on the heating control for the Oasis heating, but is there a way to control the temperature of the hot water to the shower/sinks etc..? I have a tank less system in my S/B and I can set the max temp it will heat up to.
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Just curious how noisy the burner is (in comparison to say a generator)? I have beard some heating units in a park be as loud as a jet engine, but I'm guessing, while not silent, this is not one of those, correct?
Ours isn't noisy at all, even staying here in the mountains where it's very quiet all day, the burner is just a muffled whoosh. After a couple chilly nights, it's warmed up a bit and I'm just using the AC heat now, burner off, and it's been just perfect. Now that I'm getting used to the controls, I love it.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssignor View Post
I am still a newb to this also and was wondering on the heating control for the Oasis heating, but is there a way to control the temperature of the hot water to the shower/sinks etc..? I have a tank less system in my S/B and I can set the max temp it will heat up to.

http://itrheat.com/wp-content/upload...st-31-2016.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1480016633.678563.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	145197
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks!!!
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
30 degrees outside as I woke up this morning, and we stayed at a comfortable 68 all night with the diesel burner running. I bumped it to 70 in zone 1, just because I was sitting here enjoying the sunrise. Even with the burner on, it's nice and quiet and works great. I do wish the fans weren't so loud, but I can't complain with the result. I like the Oasis system.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Along the same lines... can we run the oasis/furnace if we have winterized the water lines with antifreeze? Family coming for the holidays and we will be sleeping in the motorhome
katiejo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating