Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Oasis Hot Water

This morning our Oasis zone fault light illuminated on the control panel above the passenger seat. I checked the hot water and we had none. The summer loop lights in the Oasis bay are red. I’m able to turn on the furnace and the fault clears as long as the heat is actively running. When the thermostat turns off the supply of heat, the fault lights return.

I checked the Oasis fuses (inside the indicator panel in the Oasis bay) and the summer loop 5amp fuse was blown. I changed the fuse and it blew immediately. After crawling through the basement I disconnected one of the power leads on the summer loop pump and reinserted a new fuse. The fuse stayed good until I reconnected the pump - then it blew.

Naturally we are in the middle of a trip and the problem happened on Saturday morning when ITR help is unavailable. We can shower as long as we run the heat so it’s manageable.

It seems to me that the pump is bad but can anyone tell me if a bad pump would send a short to the fuse? Is my pump bad? Is there another test or can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks folks.
TNBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #2

Sounds like a bad pump. Google Oasis manual troubleshooting. There is a pdf from ITR which takes you through the steps to diagnosis a bad pump.
Cummins X15
Miked2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

From the troubleshooting manual

Q5: Are any of the RED LED’s for the summer pump, Loop 1 pump, Loop 2 pump, and zone fans ON?
IF YES:
The fuse is blown for the component that has the RED LED ON. Remove the front cover on the distribution module zone board and replace the fuse. Note the following are the fuse values:
Page 30 of 50

Oasis Service & Troubleshooting Manual __
Fuse Name
Amperage
Cabin Fan 1
10 A
Cabin Fan 2
5A
Cabin Fan 3
5A
Cabin Fan 4
5A
Cabin Fan 5
5A
Summer Pump
5A
Heating Loop 1 Pump
5A
Heating Loop 2 Pump
5A
Engine Pre-heat Pump
5A
If the fuse blows again, the component with the RED LED has shorted. If the component that has shorted is a cabin fan, replace the fan. If the component that has shorted is one of the pumps in the Oasis Distribution Module, replace the pump. To replace the pumps, refer to Servicing the Oasis Distribution Module (sections 5.2.1 and 5.2.2).
IF NO:
Turn ON the bypass switch on top of the distribution module zone board. Proceed to Q6.
Cummins X15
Old 09-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

As Miked2145 was saying, sounds like a bad pump. You should have 3 pumps inside your Oasis heater. 2 run the heat and then 1 runs your hot water. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have the time you can call ITR and they can overnight a pump to you. And even walk you through over the phone on how to change them. If you don't have that kind of time but really want hot water without running your heater you can steal one of your other pumps. (trade out the bad one for a good one). you will need 4 small pairs of vice grips to do this so as to not lose all your Century Brand Boiler Fluid (Yellowish/green Fluid) do not mix any other kind or you will have to flush your system. If your not handy take it for service. Fairly minor but kind of a pain unless your really handy. Good luck and God Bless
Markdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #5

Just one last thought. Try turning on the bypass switch on the top of the zone board. It is a small, toggle switch. This will turn on all pumps. This should get heat to all zones and circulate hot water to the taps operating either the furnace or the elements. Power off until you need hot water again.
Cummins X15
Old 09-23-2018, 04:48 AM   #6

Oasis Hot Water

Thanks for the responses. The information in the ITR manual helped me understand the operation and helped me to ultimately find the blown fuse. Military Basic Training gave me the training to low crawl through the basement to find the summer loop pump in the distribution panel. But, I didn’t know if the bad pump could result in blowing fuses. Your input helped a lot. I will call ITR on Monday.
TNBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miked2145 View Post
Just one last thought. Try turning on the bypass switch on the top of the zone board. It is a small, toggle switch. This will turn on all pumps. This should get heat to all zones and circulate hot water to the taps operating either the furnace or the elements. Power off until you need hot water again.
Do you mean power off by rocking the switch on top of the oasis again?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As mentioned earlier, on top of the zone panel that has the status lights near the Oasis unit, there is a small rocker switch that turns on all the pumps. This will get you hot water until you can get the pump changed. When you are not using hot water, turn the toggle off because it circulates hot water through your heaters and will add some heat to the coach (fans on heaters will remain off). This is what we did for a couple weeks until I could get a new pump

When I called ITR, they told me to change the fuse. They told me if the fuse blows again, the pump is bad. Yours is acting the same as mine and we had a bad summer loop pump.

As mentioned earlier, it is not too difficult to change the pump.

Tags
oasis, water