Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Oasis hot water issue

I just purchased this coach and it is the first one I've owned with an Oasis system. I'm parked in southern Mississippi and the temperature is in the 60's. I've shut the diesel burner (since I'm not running the heat), but the hot water is only luke-warm. If I keep the burner on the water gets nice and hot. Am I wrong to think that the Oasis should be able to heat the water with just the 2 electric heating elements on? Or does someone think there might be a problem with it?

NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have a Hurricane system which was the predecessor of the Oasis. We leave our diesel burner in the "ON" position all year because we like having unlimited amounts of hot water. Is your hot water never getting hot or is it lukewarm after you've used it for a while?

I suggest calling Welcome To International Thermal Research | International Thermal Research directly; Kevin Lambert there is a great guy who will help you diagnose your system.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #3

Here's what I see in the Newmar owner's manual that I'm reading while we wait for our unit to be built :

The Oasis system uses two different sources for heat. The first, and most efficient, is the diesel burner. This uses
diesel fuel from the motor homes fuel tank to burn and create heat. The second heat source is an electric heating
element. It is important to note the difference in the two systems.
The output of the diesel burner is 50,000 BTU’s. This is the primary heat source for the Oasis system. The electric
heating element has a 5000 BTU output, and should be used only to help maintain the temperature once the diesel
burner has brought the system up to proper operating heat levels. From a cold start, the 5000 watt electrical
heating element will not operate the system alone.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Leave the diesel burner on for lots of hot water.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, I thought I could get away with just the 2 electric elements. But I think I'll take Sandi and Joel's advice and try calling.
Thanks for the quick replies!
NHSO
Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the OASIS hot water heating system and have no problem to take 2
hot showers with only the 2 electric elements switched on. The electric elements are ON 24/7,so that there is a Reserve of hot water to start with.
Check / Reset your breakers.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We also have the Oasis heat and hot water system and we use the two electric elements when hooked up to 50amp power. When using the two elements it's not an endless supply of hot water as it is when the diesel burner is on.

Jack
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #8

Using both electric elements works for us except in two conditions. 1) real cold incoming water temp or 2) also needing cabin heat at the same time as showering.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #9

We have Oasis system in our 11 Newmar. We have enough hot water from the 2 electric elements to take at least one very long shower---even in Northern Michigan where the input water isn't all that warm. Joel
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
UPDATE

I called yesterday and spoke to Kevin Lambert of ITR and he gave me a couple of things to look into. First found out that they had problem with some 07-08 models with relays burning up. So I'll have to look at them and see if any are burnt. Second he said that I should do a continuity test on the electrical elements to make sure they are both working. So for now the diesel burner will stay on and I'll have plenty of hot water.

NHSO

Tags
water