RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #1

Oasis operation question

The more I learn about the Oasis the less I think I know about it.

Last summer when the Summer Loop pump quit I had lots of water out of the hot faucets but it was cold. When the pump was replaced then I had hot water out of all the hot faucets. Where does the pump send the cold water to heat it up?

Now when I pump the pink stuff through the Hot faucets is the Summer Loop pump running and if I had the Burner on or the AC I&II elements on would that pink stuff be hot? I know the pumps pump Oasis anti-freeze and not water so how does the water get heated?

Also, during winterization how do I know that pumping pink out of all the Hot faucets that there is no water left in the Oasis system anyplace?

Do any of my questions make any sense? During the winter with nothing to do I have lots of time to sit and think about things i didn't take time to do while traveling.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
The more I learn about the Oasis the less I think I know about it.

Last summer when the Summer Loop pump quit I had lots of water out of the hot faucets but it was cold. When the pump was replaced then I had hot water out of all the hot faucets. Where does the pump send the cold water to heat it up?

Now when I pump the pink stuff through the Hot faucets is the Summer Loop pump running and if I had the Burner on or the AC I&II elements on would that pink stuff be hot? I know the pumps pump Oasis anti-freeze and not water so how does the water get heated?

Also, during winterization how do I know that pumping pink out of all the Hot faucets that there is no water left in the Oasis system anyplace?

Do any of my questions make any sense? During the winter with nothing to do I have lots of time to sit and think about things i didn't take time to do while traveling.
You are correct in saying that the summer loop pump is pumping a heat transfer fluid (antifreeze). When you run the Oasis burner or the two Oasis electrical elements, they are heating the Oasis fluid, this heated Oasis fluid transfers the heat from it to the domestic water though radiator located in the distribution module. Just like your radiators mounted throughout the coach that provides heat. These heat radiators transfer the heat from the Oasis fluid to the coach via a fan pushing air across the radiator.

Yes, if you have the Oasis burner or the two electrical elements on, the pink stuff would be heated just like your domestic water.

During winterization the pink stuff would remain within the domestic water radiator unless you drain it out, but why would you. If you really wanted to drain the pink stuff out of the domestic radiator, there is a drain lever on the Oasis distribution unit (where the summer loop and the two other loop pumps)

All questions make sense. The only thing that doesn't make sense is not asking a question when we have them. This attachment may help you understand more and will fill up those winter days.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oasis Manual.pdf (2.09 MB, 43 views)

Old 01-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #3

Thank you Wayne. I wasn't thinking (or realized) there would be some kind of radiator within the Oasis system. Guess that's what one member ran into when he was getting an overflow in the fluid holding tank back in the engine compartment. Water was getting mixed in the Oasis anti-freeze fluid.

These little Oasis systems just get more complicated every day. They are nice but I think I still like a separate water heater from the furnace. At least that way you might not run out of hot water and inside heat all at the same time.

I had always had two roof air conditioners till I purchased my previous coach, an Itasca Meridian, which had just one AC, a basement home style AC. If it quit, not AC. Now again with two roof AC at least if one quits, which one of mine did on the 2015 DS a year ago, I still have a small amount of cooling.

Thanks again for answering my question, I'm sure it won't be the last by the time winter is over.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"ewlee"....Great answer.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Since we are ordering a new coach that will have the Oasis system, can you help me understand the water heating system? Is there a water heater tank where the Oasis heat transfer fluid passes through a heat exchanger and heats the contents? Or, is this an "instant" water heating system where the mere passage of the water through the heat exchanger is sufficient to heat a constant flow?

TJ
Old 01-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Since we are ordering a new coach that will have the Oasis system, can you help me understand the water heating system? Is there a water heater tank where the Oasis heat transfer fluid passes through a heat exchanger and heats the contents? Or, is this an "instant" water heating system where the mere passage of the water through the heat exchanger is sufficient to heat a constant flow?

TJ
Instant! If you look at the photo, behind the Summer Loop Pump is the heat exchanger that has fresh water and antifreeze inputs. The heated Boiler (antifreeze) fluid heats the water in the heat exchanger. The "super heated" water is then pumped through the "Hot Water Mixing Valve" where it's mixed with unheated fresh water and sent to your hot water outlets. The Mixing valve is located behind and above the Zone 2 Pump. Dutchstar Don has a great Oasis Operation writeup...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zone-Pumps.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	188464  
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Thanks! We old guys sometimes have a hard time figuring out this new technology.

TJ
Old 01-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Thanks! We old guys sometimes have a hard time figuring out this new technology.

TJ
Truer words were never spoken. How I never realized what I was getting myself into when I went from a 2004 DP to a 2015 Dutch Star. Like going from a Model T to a new Corvette.

Too bad the engineers who design all this new technology couldn't have done a little better in the manufacturing design for quality control.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Too bad the engineers who design all this new technology couldn't have done a little better in the manufacturing design for quality control.
Beyond the "Reliability" issues are the "Maintainability" issues associated with our Coaches... The Design Engineers design the subsystems while the "Manufacturing" Engineers decide where to "stuff" the subsystem components WITHOUT ANY REGARD to the future maintenance of the system components... Example one: Oasis put a large opening in the back of the Oasis Distribution Module to access (adjust) and replace the Hot Water Mixing valve... Newmar hard mounts the Distribution Module on a fixed wall so the access point is buried! Residential refrigerators, want to replace it... Pull the windshield!! And the list goes on...