RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

Oasis Pump Bypass Switch ?

What is the purpose of the pump bypass switch. When it is on, does it just circulate the fluid in a short circuit for exercising the pump? I pretty well understand the rest of the system, just need an explanation for this switch. Thanks in advance for input.
JMcG, 2016 VTDP 3725
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3279584F-2914-42E3-ACF5-DE558A2EC306.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	260212  

JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When they fill the system with heat transfer fluid, they use this switch...

Old 09-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #3

C. Martin

Thanks for that info.

JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
Old 09-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - Also the bypass switch will give you domestic hot water if you have a pump failure.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The bypass switch turns on both pumps.

Since there have been a few failures of the summer loop pump (which only sends fluid to the water heater) a workaround has been to use it to activate the main pump which sends fluid to all systems (including the heat exchangers). It shouldn't be left on any longer than necessary.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:57 AM   #6

Thanks to all for your input.
JMcG
2017 VTDP 3725
Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

Oasis units prior to this year would burn up pumps because of a specific design flaw. When the user selects electric only as a heating source and unplugs to travel and does not have the generator running the domestic loop starts to cool and will activated the pump trying to bring hot fluid that will satisfy the temp sensor. The unit pump will run until the low temp threshold is met many hours later. To avoid this travel with the diesel burner selected so it can heat the boiler when no electricity is available. Known issue and oasis fixed that in the latest just out units. There should be a free pump replacement program for this design oversight.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Newaire1"....That's some great insight as to why people were going through pumps. I bought a spare, but never needed it (hopefully). I always turn the Oasis off as part of my departure procedure, maybe that has saved me from issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doesn't the waste heat from the engine satisfy the heat requirements, thus eliminating the need for the pump to cycle? We get heater and hot water without the diesel or electric heat while driving.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaire1 View Post
Oasis units prior to this year would burn up pumps because of a specific design flaw. When the user selects electric only as a heating source and unplugs to travel and does not have the generator running the domestic loop starts to cool and will activated the pump trying to bring hot fluid that will satisfy the temp sensor. The unit pump will run until the low temp threshold is met many hours later. To avoid this travel with the diesel burner selected so it can heat the boiler when no electricity is available. Known issue and oasis fixed that in the latest just out units. There should be a free pump replacement program for this design oversight.
I donít know where you got that but it doesnít agree with what I have been told. The pump wonít try to run until the fluid is up to temperature. If the fluid is cold and canít be heated, the pump simply wonít turn on. I had a pump failure and went through a series of tests with ITR and that is my understanding based on what i did to finally determine that the pump itself was the problem.

Where did you get your information?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I thought the same thing, but driving doesn't always bring mine to full temp, as my lights will illuminate when I turn the electric elements on when we are setting up at a campsite, right after engine shutdown. If you're boondocking without power, and switches are on, the pumps would run, especially if you do like I do and only turn the burner on just before it's needed. Lastly, many may stop for dinner, sightseeing or shopping and the engine cools down.

I've never had a pump issue, but my electric elements are only on when I'm plugged in, it's part of my departure and arrival procedure. I'd be curious to see if those who've had multiple issues with pumps, have been leaving their electric elements on.

I plan on calling ITR on Monday to get this from the horses mouth. There may be a LOT of pissed off people if this is true.

This is very interesting and I'm curious to verify.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Trying to reason this out.....If you think about it, when the wall thermostat is off, the other pumps aren't in use. If the electric elements or burner are on, with the heat thermostat off, only the summer pump would be asked to run, which is the pump that is always burning out??????
Old 09-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #13

On our recent trip (5200 miles) our Zone 1 furnace started blowing cool air when turned on. The Zone 2 when on furnace blows warm or hot depending on temp. I think it is a sensor? Seems it's something in the distribution Module? Haven't had time to check it out as it's been 100+ degrees. I was hoping to get someone from IRT out to check it as we were in Minot just before the start of FMCA rally in August. Didn't happen and we had to move on. Any thoughts. The rest of system works fine.
2017 Newmar Ventana 3709
pjgolpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #14

This is straight from Nappannee. I was with the guy who figured it out and the techs ran the test on other units in the facility. Summer loop will run and run without the diesel burner on until the unit cools below the min temp and deactivates. It will run for half the day in the summer.
Test your unit. Unplug with unit on and up to temp and diesel burner off, simulating leaving a park and unplug shore power and run hot water for a few minutes. Now go see how long your pump runs. Yea, all day is the answer!
Oasis now has flow sensors on newer units to detect hot water demand and not just use temp sensors.

Tags
oasis, switch