Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
For those looking for the radiator cap, take it to NAPA. They can find one in the catalog that has the same dimensions as your existing. They carry wide variety for machinery and equipment, not just autos.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 03:55 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
The one I ordered is: Stant 10228 Radiator Cap - 7 PSI
“Designed to function on open cooling systems and overflow reservoir type systems.”
Oasis is overflow reservoir system.
I feel lucky [emoji23]
I ordered this exact cap (Stant 10228) and it fit just fine.

Just an fyi ... I also ordered a second cap at the same time and it did not fit as it has the longer plunger for a longer radiator neck ... Stant 10206 Radiator Cap - 7 PSI

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Today, after considering all my options and talking to Oasis people (they want $600 for the tank alone), I decided to pull out the unit tomorrow.
The plan is to plug the two red hoses and minimize coolant loss.
Pull the whole unit out,
Remove the brass tank and take it to a radiator shop for repair.
We are going to Perry in two weeks, and did not want to be stuck with leaky Oasis.
Any advice on something I’m missing is appreciated.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:07 AM   #32

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it turns out, as I'm pretty sure I have the same event in my future, one I get this AC figured out...........oh the joy of Rv'ing..............
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
It is way more complicated that I imagined. The brass cap flange is brazed to the stainless tank. [emoji33]
Got to figure this one. Looks like will pull the whole unit out and get it to service shop?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2961.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	194194
Old 03-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
It is way more complicated that I imagined. The brass cap flange is brazed to the stainless tank. [emoji33]
Got to figure this one. Looks like will pull the whole unit out and get it to service shop?Attachment 194194

BULY

I’m following your problem closely in case I have similar down the road. Yes, it looks like a pretty serious repair indeed BUT I’m guessing it’s doable. I think the biggest issue is the schedule if you’re planning on going to Perry.

Hopefully you can get a replacement neck from ITR which shouldn’t be a problem. It will require a complete disassembly of the unit but if you have a shop with tools and work space I’m sure you can get it done.

My son and I removed an AquaHot from a Wanderlodge in 2004. Then completely disassembled it to repair a broken line internal. Was a heck of a job but got it done. I relate the story only because the AquaHot design is far more complex and difficult to work on as the Oasis which is far more easily worked on. Good luck and keep us posted!

Quinton
wqmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Just got of the phone with the manufacturer. Basically I found out that I'm not the only one with this problem. They had issues with the brass necks.
I asked him to buy one, but he said that they no longer have them, since they switched to stainless ones.
He offered to sell me a new tank for $790 plus shipping, removal, installation etc$$$$
My plan is to remove the unit so I have space to work, and have it repaired in my shop. What a PIA.
BTW, they have picture of my exact coach on their web site
Old 03-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #36

Hmm, so basically they have admitted there is a known issue with the brass neck, (I'm sure I'll find the same when I look at mine), but us owners of a 2015 ,in my case less than 2 year old coach (it was sold off the lot in April 2016) should just be expected to pay $790, plus shipping and install. This is probably in the region of $2k, to fix a known issue. I think ITC should step up, and offer some kind of compensation, I wonder how many other cases are out there ?
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Wish they do, but not likely. First time I called, they acted as they never heard about it. Kept trying to sell me a new tank
Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
Hmm, so basically they have admitted there is a known issue with the brass neck, (I'm sure I'll find the same when I look at mine), but us owners of a 2015 ,in my case less than 2 year old coach (it was sold off the lot in April 2016) should just be expected to pay $790, plus shipping and install. This is probably in the region of $2k, to fix a known issue. I think ITC should step up, and offer some kind of compensation, I wonder how many other cases are out there ?

Sounds like a latent defect in the design and/or manufacturing defect. Most reputable companies step up and offer some help or complete repair. So sad to see such avoidance of ownership of defective products.

Wonder if it should be brought to Newmar’s attention?

Waiting to see if mine is brass....this weekend.

Quinton
wqmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #39

Had the issue a couple months ago. Posted pics of the cracks farther up on the postings. When I spoke to ITR they never mentioned a change in material from the brass. I spoke to Randy and he was helpful and seemed to be a pretty straightforward. Could be the part that the cap goes on is an outsourced component. Could be the entire tank is outsourced and the vendor cut corners. Either way the brass flange is pretty flimsy and I can see this as a widespread problem. Had extended warranty not covered mine I would have tried brazing the crack and filing excess material away. Could be a radiator shop could cut the neck off and replace it. I'll have to check and see if I got a stainless tank
Old 03-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Removing the Oasis unit out turned out to be a uuuge job. Lucky I had my neighbor volunteered to help.
Two partitions had to be removed, two 110V lines disconnected, two 3/4” heater hoses cut and pinched, two fuel lines, more wires etc. etc.
Than the whole exhaust line all the way to the end loosened and disconnected from the Oasis. Elevate and slide the 120 lb unit out and Cary it to the shop.
I made a brass reinforcement piece to solder on the inside of the filler neck over the crack. The original material of the neck is as thin as copy paper.
That’s all I can do today.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1875.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	791.3 KB
ID:	194254Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	792.0 KB
ID:	194255
Old 03-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Oasis Radiator Cap

Finally today I finished installing back into the coach the repaired Oasis. Before that, we did three different pressure tests on the repairs with the new cap and it passed.
It was a job. Specially the 20+ feet long exhaust pipe under the coach on grass turf.
Than The Test phase [emoji33][emoji22] started.
The diesel burner fired right away and run fine.
The AC power side was dead? The little rocker switch AC I and AC II is dark ( no green light).
My tester at the Oasis shows no AC.
Cycled the breaker, no difference.
Maybe one of you knows something I’m missing? I’m suspecting the 12V side that must be activating a solenoid or two somewhere?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	194500Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1883.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	194501Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1884.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	831.7 KB
ID:	194502
Old 03-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #42

Oasis

You won't get a green light on the AC side unless there is a demand for heating the water or heat for the coach. Turn on the AC and turn off the burner. Then turn on your hot water for a minute or two. The green light should come on.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator