RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Oasis Service Interval/Very Rarely Used

I have the Oasis unit in my 2016 VTDP 3725. I use it very little. In fact I have only used it once since I have owned the coach. The double electric elements is sufficient to supply all the hot water I need either for a shower or just daily use. Just for general use I only use one of the elements. The diesel burner I only used once for inside heating when we were camping early spring. I could have used the HPs but wanted to see how the Oasis unit worked. It worked great. My question is since I use the Oasis very rarely is it necessary to do the service interval on a yearly basis or could I extend that out longer. This unit may have other functions that I don't know about so I want to make sure that I do the service in a timely manner. Thanks for any input.

JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725

JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - That appliance, much like your generator and drive train, needs to be used. The fuel will age and cause issues for you. The boiler fluid needs to be circulated. Use the Oasis on a regular basis and follow the maintenance requirements. They can get expensive to repair and lack of use and lack of preventive maintenance will lead you to that position.
Annual attention is simple to do and not expensive and running it to full temperature and circulating the fluid will only take a bit of your time.

I'm not trying to be picky with you but please use the Oasis, it will serve you better if you do.

Tom

Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Like you, I don't use the burner portion too often. The boiler fluid is used even with the electric elements. The only thing to really go bad is the diesel nozzle and the igniter. I'm only servicing mine every two years and turn the diesel burner on for a few minutes every couple of trips.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have a hydro hot in our 07 Essex. Appears to generally be the same as the Aqua hot only smaller. The 110 elements have provided all the hot water we can use until recently. The switch in the overhead is on and the lights are green on the hydro hot box? When I turn on the diesel burner, we get hot water almost instantly. Do the electrical elements go bad without a corresponding red light in the Bay Area? Can these elements be removed and cleaned? Out of my element here .
Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
JMcJ,

Newbees Oasis was serviced by the factory (folks that build the unit ITR) at the Gillette rally. Should be good for @ 3 years with your usage. My recommendation is to attend a rally where ITR is attending every 2-3 years and have them service. My logic is; these guys have seen it all and can tell if something is amiss.

BTW, I had a couple of minor issues with your units oasis and the unit was inspected with a fine tooth comb. Am confident that your oasis is in as perfect shape as one could be.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee (2), VTDP 4369
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #6

Thanks all for the input. It is a great accessory to have in your coach, especially if you travel into the cooler climates. And you don't have to bother with propane.

JMH, appreciate the information about the unit especially since you were the previous owners of the unit. Love the coach.

JMcG
2016 VTDP 2725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
ITR has YouTube videos you can follow along on an iPad and do the service yourself easily. I watched ITR do my first one at a FMCA rally and I did the next. You can get the annual or 3/5 year kits on Amazon which are sold by Independence RV I believe. Newmar sells them too I think.

Use the OASIS and enjoy it. Keep things from gumming up as others suggested. You have a filter for it in the GEN bay.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #8

I'm like Don, I am going to stretch mine to every 2 years. I probably only log 2 to 4 hours of total run time on the diesel burner every year. Since we are full time and always traveling I am always putting fresh diesel through the coach so I'm thinking this helps.

FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis, service, valve