RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The basic service is really simple. It takes almost more time to remove the cover screws than it does to do the service. The main service part is the ignitor. I carry a spare service kit and replace it when I service the Oasis, always having a kit as a spare. On one occasion, in six years of Oasis use, I had an ignitor go bad on a trip. I pulled the new one from the spare kit and had the unit up and running in about 20 minutes. Sooooo…..if you don't carry a spare kit, save the old ignitor as a spare.

The fuel filter is the same size as the average V8 oil filter. It's a spin on and located in the generator bay on the DS. The generator has it's own built in fuel filter, so there should be no confusion.

When I bought my first DP I was changing every filter in the RV, oil, air, generator, air dryer and fuel filters EVERY year. I thought I was really doing the best thing for the coach and it would last a million miles. As I got older and wiser, I realized many of these intervals are for people putting the max usage on each item (generator, engine, Oasis). I eventually slowed down my servicing. I still change my oil and oil filter every year, but I'm now stretching things like the Oasis service, generator service, fuel filters and air filter to every other year. I just don't travel enough miles each year to justify it.

i was wondering about this on my Oasis. I'm a part time RVer. So, since I bought my Ventana 13 months ago (took delivery the week before last labor day). I spent 5 days doing PDI/labor day weekend. A week in October. 10 days around Christmas. A long weekend over valentines. 10 days around the 4th. Then, I think four four-day weekends. So, something like 50 days, give or take a few over the last 13 months.

Now, during the summer, the electric burners are all I need and actually work better, since with the diesel burner in the summer, I find I have to turn the water so far towards cold that it really reduces water flow. So, for most of the year in Arkansas/Branson, the electric burner is all I need.

I've been trying to remember to switch the diesel burner on for maybe one day each trip, just so it didn't for six months without being fired up.

I've wondered if based on that minimal usage I really need to service it annually or if I could stretch it out.

Either way, I plan to also have a spare of all. Initially, I'll buy the annual and five year service, so I have a spare nozzle and flame sensor as well.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
My service kit will be in Thursday. I plan on keeping the used ignitor and the rest of the used parts I take off as a emergency backup except the filter, since I'm not having any issues with them at this time. I hope I don't have a issue with taking off the filter some can be really tight. I do have a filter tool I bought that has made removal of filters easier. Had trouble with fuel filter from the motor once and went in search of a tool that would work and not crush the filter or have to punch holes in it to get it off. I got it at O'Reillys. It's a web strap that goes around the filter and a metal tube attached for your standard ratchet. Works on all sizes of filters.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
My service kit will be in Thursday. I plan on keeping the used ignitor and the rest of the used parts I take off as a emergency backup except the filter, since I'm not having any issues with them at this time. I hope I don't have a issue with taking off the filter some can be really tight. I do have a filter tool I bought that has made removal of filters easier. Had trouble with fuel filter from the motor once and went in search of a tool that would work and not crush the filter or have to punch holes in it to get it off. I got it at O'Reillys. It's a web strap that goes around the filter and a metal tube attached for your standard ratchet. Works on all sizes of filters.
Any chance you can post a picture of the filter tool. I need to get one.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #18

Also, in the video it says to lubricate the o-ring with diesel fuel. I don't have a can of diesel fuel laying around for things like this. What do people do for this? Do you take it from the fuel filter (if you swap that first) or do you lube with something else or not lube at all?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Also, in the video it says to lubricate the o-ring with diesel fuel. I don't have a can of diesel fuel laying around for things like this. What do people do for this? Do you take it from the fuel filter (if you swap that first) or do you lube with something else or not lube at all?
At a gas station, I filled an old water bottle with diesel and discarded it afterwards. YouTube video says to fill new filter with diesel and the typical large water bottle fills the filter only about two thirds but that worked for me. The large amount of diesel in the old filter, I think, could be used to fill the new filter, and a dab to lube the o-ring.
mrome54369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't use the old filter to fill the new filter. Any debris captured in the old filter could end up in the new filter and shorten the filter life. Spin on filters typically collect the fuel (or oil) in the outer holes and flow it into the engine via the center hole. Consequently, when you prefill a new filter, especially fuel, you need to cover the center hole while refilling.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #21

Quote:
I wouldn't use the old filter to fill the new filter. Any debris captured in the old filter could end up in the new filter and shorten the filter life. Spin on filters typically collect the fuel (or oil) in the outer holes and flow it into the engine via the center hole. Consequently, when you prefill a new filter, especially fuel, you need to cover the center hole while refilling.
To be clear, I was only asking about using the old diesel for the drop of fuel needed to lubricate the new O-ring in the nozzle. I figured I would just put on the fuel filter dry and risk the flame out as it purges. would never consider dumping fuel (or oil) from an old filter to a new.

I guess I could just get a small container of just enough diesel for the filter refil and o-ring lube, as mentioned in the post above yours.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"tnedator".....I was referring to the post by "mrome5469" who said he thought it would be okay to fill the new filter with the old filter. I knew what YOU meant and I do that all the time.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #23

Quote:
"tnedator".....I was referring to the post by "mrome5469" who said he thought it would be okay to fill the new filter with the old filter. I knew what YOU meant and I do that all the time.
Ahhh, I missed that part of his post. Long day.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #24

Quote:

This discussion is more obvious in the "threaded view" than in the chronological view. It's why I usually quote all or part of the message being replied to, so the context is preserved - since readers can view the topic either way.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Any chance you can post a picture of the filter tool. I need to get one.
Here is the one I use.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190925-084708.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	261434
Old 10-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #26

Just an FYI, I went with an online dealer of marine parts. I hadn't bought from them before, but they were both claiming genuine ITR kits and based on what they carried, seemed like a legit operation.

They were $125 for the annual kit vs. $159 on Amazon (Independence RV is the seller).

Downside was that I ordered it on the 21st, and it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow, so that's very slow in my book.

Upside is that it's clearly genuine parts, as my delivery tomorrow is coming from ITR, so they had it drop shipped.

https://www.mcssl.com/store/j-wayent...ceservice-kits

Tags
oasis, service