Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Oasis service question.

Had my 08 madp for year and half now. Was wondering about servicing my oasis. Is there a way to tell if it needs servicing when you haven't experienced any trouble with it? Can you tell by pulling off the panel and looking at certain signs? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The big question is how much have you used the system? The burner chamber needs to be cleaned out occasionally there is a very small filter for the fuel and then of course there’s the large spin on filter hiding somewhere in your coach. In my opinion if you haven’t done it in a while go to YouTube review how it’s done and do it yourself.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You'll get plenty of recommendations here BUT my recommendation is check your manual and follow the instructions. Service is warranted no matter how little you used the rig. Stuff breaks down just sitting - I know that from experience.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 09-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will find all your answers in this sticky covers everything you just need to read.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #5

Ok, service is due once per year so you are over due, why don’t you get serviced now as a base and do again once per year, you don’t want to wait to have an issue right, it’s filters and igniters to service.

Zzotte
Old 09-18-2019, 05:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I'll order a service kit.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Oasis

Wondering what you found out about service on your oasis
dpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Haven't ordered the service kit yet. Did find them on Amazon. Was watching you tube video on how to service the unit. Said there should be a sticker on the fuel nozzle with the date when it was installed. Hopefully will order next week. Not planning any trips till middle of November.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:47 PM   #9

Timely thread for me.

Is it as simple as the youtube videos show? Looks pretty simple and don't think I really need to pay someone. Anything tricky about self service?

Where's the best place to buy? Independence RV is selling them via Amazon.

Where is the fuel filter in the Ventana? Is it up near Generator? Is it obvious, or labeled, which one is the Oasis vs. generator (or is the generator integral to the generator)?

I was thinking about buying a annual and 5 year kit, with the 5 year kit being so I have all "spare" parts.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Timely thread for me.

Is it as simple as the youtube videos show? Looks pretty simple and don't think I really need to pay someone. Anything tricky about self service?

Where is the fuel filter in the Ventana? Is it up near Generator? Is it obvious, or labeled, which one is the Oasis vs. generator (or is the generator integral to the generator)?

I was thinking about buying a annual and 5 year kit, with the 5 year kit being so I have all "spare" parts.
If you are fairly mechanically inclined this should be a snap. If you are hesitant, pay for the Service and watch them do the work. Then you will know what is involved in this project. My only suggestion on purchasing the parts is to make sure they are OEM not some aftermarket stuff. The Oasis is a great system. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #11

I just did this annual service. I had the annual service kit on hand, from Amazon/Independence RV. Followed the YouTube video exactly. Took my time and was careful to not lose any of the small parts and reinstall them correctly. My fuel filter was located where the video suggested, up by the gen, drivers side. Unfortunately the fuel filter wouldn't come off so I ended up ordering a 11BV-R Gar-Ber Spin-On Fuel Oil Filter Complete Head Bracket
mrome54369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Timely thread for me.

The basic service is really simple. It takes almost more time to remove the cover screws than it does to do the service. The main service part is the ignitor. I carry a spare service kit and replace it when I service the Oasis, always having a kit as a spare. On one occasion, in six years of Oasis use, I had an ignitor go bad on a trip. I pulled the new one from the spare kit and had the unit up and running in about 20 minutes. Sooooo…..if you don't carry a spare kit, save the old ignitor as a spare.

The fuel filter is the same size as the average V8 oil filter. It's a spin on and located in the generator bay on the DS. The generator has it's own built in fuel filter, so there should be no confusion.

When I bought my first DP I was changing every filter in the RV, oil, air, generator, air dryer and fuel filters EVERY year. I thought I was really doing the best thing for the coach and it would last a million miles. As I got older and wiser, I realized many of these intervals are for people putting the max usage on each item (generator, engine, Oasis). I eventually slowed down my servicing. I still change my oil and oil filter every year, but I'm now stretching things like the Oasis service, generator service, fuel filters and air filter to every other year. I just don't travel enough miles each year to justify it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The basic service is really simple. It takes almost more time to remove the cover screws than it does to do the service. The main service part is the ignitor. I carry a spare service kit and replace it when I service the Oasis, always having a kit as a spare. On one occasion, in six years of Oasis use, I had an ignitor go bad on a trip. I pulled the new one from the spare kit and had the unit up and running in about 20 minutes. Sooooo…..if you don't carry a spare kit, save the old ignitor as a spare.

The fuel filter is the same size as the average V8 oil filter. It's a spin on and located in the generator bay on the DS. The generator has it's own built in fuel filter, so there should be no confusion.

When I bought my first DP I was changing every filter in the RV, oil, air, generator, air dryer and fuel filters EVERY year. I thought I was really doing the best thing for the coach and it would last a million miles. As I got older and wiser, I realized many of these intervals are for people putting the max usage on each item (generator, engine, Oasis). I eventually slowed down my servicing. I still change my oil and oil filter every year, but I'm now stretching things like the Oasis service, generator service, fuel filters and air filter to every other year. I just don't travel enough miles each year to justify it.

Good advice on extending service. I think I will do the same. We only put about 5 k miles each year and it seemed like a waste to change everything. Will still do engine oil and filter each year as you suggest. Thanks for your post.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrome54369 View Post
I just did this annual service. I had the annual service kit on hand, from Amazon/Independence RV. Followed the YouTube video exactly. Took my time and was careful to not lose any of the small parts and reinstall them correctly. My fuel filter was located where the video suggested, up by the gen, drivers side. Unfortunately the fuel filter wouldn't come off so I ended up ordering a 11BV-R Gar-Ber Spin-On Fuel Oil Filter Complete Head Bracket
Oh and also had to change out the fuel line on the right side of the oasis. It was brittle and cracked as I pulled the fuel block out of the burn tube. ITR is an incredible resource, they helped problem shoot my flame out issue after the service, it was then I saw the cracks in the fuel line and they said "there's your problem"... So as you go to service your Oasis, you may find additional problems. I'm not that mechanically inclined but agree with others, may be best to DIY this one as an RV repair place may not fix all the issues and leave you fixing it anyway. Just be sure there is a auto parts store nearby and/or you can receive packages where you are at before you start.
mrome54369 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis, service