Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Neal, et al...

Upon your suggestion, I did call ITR..and he acted surprised. (Surprise! [emoji2357]) After a little coaching, along with agreeing that you can’t read forums without getting worried [emoji849], he bagged in Newmar saying they used some “weak-handed employee, and have since then changed their crimping methods.

This was before my ‘19 DS delivery. So, I asked Mike (at TLRV) to please check mine. Mike knows there wasn’t a problem and he was right; the connections are all end-cap crimps and solid.

Thanks for the warnings!

These connections are twist type connectors are your connectors different than these connectors?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure how I missed this thread....makes me nervous to miss any days on the forum!

Need to check THIS new issue now... I have the Oasis NE-S as the 4310 comes with two showers and theoretically a higher hot water demand...will need to see if the wiring is any different. I use the electrical heaters quite often, so it will be interesting to see if there are issues.
richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Checked the wires today and they looked ok. I even “sniffed” around looking for that tell-tale electrical burning smell and didn’t sense any. I will put on my list to take a look at expanding the area for these wires as they are really crammed in there. I will probably also look at alternatives to wire nuts.

And I installed the smoke alarms in that area as I had been meaning to do!

Thanks to for Neal bringing this one to everyone’s attention.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:21 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
All-On my present MH, the factory (lots of electrical issues) failed to use the correct wire nuts when connecting the Genset to the house. So I opened up the junction box, and one of the wire nuts fell out. Thankfully for me, this was addressed on the appropriate forum and so being electrically trained, I first got the correct sized wire nuts, then using lineman's pliers tightened up those nuts as tight as possible. The I wrapped Scotch 23 splicing tape all over the WN (its like vulcanizing wrap-you pull on it to get it to stick) then after wrapping them with that I used Scotch 88 electrical tape over that connection a second time, again, you pull on it a little to gain the tightest wrap. This was 12 years ago, and never had another issue over it.

So using a similar procedure on the oasis issues this will fix them.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:01 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Checked the wires today and they looked ok. I even “sniffed” around looking for that tell-tale electrical burning smell and didn’t sense any. I will put on my list to take a look at expanding the area for these wires as they are really crammed in there. I will probably also look at alternatives to wire nuts.

And I installed the smoke alarms in that area as I had been meaning to do!

Thanks to for Neal bringing this one to everyone’s attention.
See Post # 60
I mentioned in a earlier post everyone should switch to posi connectors (positaps) oppose to wire nuts.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
See Post # 60
I mentioned in a earlier post everyone should switch to posi connectors (positaps) oppose to wire nuts.
Yup. Saw that and have already looked into those and may order them the next chance I get to, to see how I like them.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
As my wet bay saga is over (until I run water through it) I'm ready to replace the house detectors with 2 x NEST battery detectors and put two in the basement. Any concerns with mounting these? In the basement did you have sufficient mounting platform to mount into? I know some of the ceiling paneling is flexible material. Let me know if you have any tips for detector replacement beyond turning off the motion sensor setting as I'm ready to attack this next task soon.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #78

Reused the two existing screw holes and it is up there solid. In the basement I screwed to the side panel forward of the oasis
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I got my four Nest smoke/CO detectors installed today. Was very smooth and very easy. I was able to reuse one screw hole and the opposing one added into the ceiling. I used 2 of the 4 screws, it should be suffice. I used VHB tape for the basement mounts as I couldn't find a good place to screw into a ceiling. I VHB'd one detector just above and off to the side of the Inverter as there is a nice board to attach to. The other detector I put over the cord reel as that should give an early warning to electrical or oasis issues. The basement really only needs one but I "saved money" buying two (yeah right) so I needed a home for the second one. Now to replace the 8 wired detectors in my house with wired Nest detectors.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #80

Buly,

I am in the process of checking the wiring on the Oasis system. I would like to do the mod you did of placing an electric box on top of the Oasis system to hold the wires.

My question is did you use a 4 inch box with an open bottom and top and then place a open cover on top and then attach the Oasis cover to the plate? Also how did you attach the box to the top of the Oasis?

I have studied you photo and can get the parts at HD or Lowe's but can not, from the photo, figure out how you got everything attached together and mounted on the Oasis system.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Dave C.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:37 PM   #81
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
See Post # 60
Actually, unless you want to tap into an existing wire without cutting it, Posi-Lock connectors are what you want. They join two wire ends together. The Posi-Taps use a needle-like point to pierce the insulation on an existing wire.

Both can be very handy. I just ordered some Posi-Locks in various sizes via Amazon.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The main problem is the compartment for the wires is too small which can easily scrape and compromise the wire insulation. No matter the wire connector, getting it all stuffed in the small area is a problem.

Reminder again - EVERYONE should inspect your OASIS electrical connection at least once after the coach is built. After verifying the wires are not compromised and connectors are secure it should be good for the future without concern.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDS4018 View Post
Buly,

I am in the process of checking the wiring on the Oasis system. I would like to do the mod you did of placing an electric box on top of the Oasis system to hold the wires.

My question is did you use a 4 inch box with an open bottom and top and then place a open cover on top and then attach the Oasis cover to the plate? Also how did you attach the box to the top of the Oasis?

I have studied you photo and can get the parts at HD or Lowe's but can not, from the photo, figure out how you got everything attached together and mounted on the Oasis system.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Dave C.
Hi Dave,
I used a 4" box and flat cover for the box with a punch out hole in the center.
Remove the existing box by drilling out the rivets.
Buy two wire clamps like this one below. One for the bottom of the box to bring the wires from below inside the box, and one for the lid to bring in the wires from above in to the box. The box has punch out tab at the bottom for the clamp. Same for the cover. Make sure you protect the wires at the clamp by wrapping them with electrical tape, or piece of rubber hose split lengthwise.
I screwed the box on top of the green housing over the existing opening by using two sheet metal screws going into one of the old rivet holes, and I think I had to drill just one new hole for the screw.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	240632  
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #84

Buly,

Thanks for the quick response.

I had first thought about a hollow 4 inch box, open at top and bottom, and just brining the wires up out of the small compartment on the Oasis system into the box. Would wrap the wires with tape after making sure the connections were good and solid. Them placing a cutout cover on top of the box and then placing the green Oasis cover on top of that.

Will take a better look at things after I get the cover off and can see the wires.

Your idea might work out better that mine.

Thanks for your help.

Dave C,

Tags
oasis