Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #1

Oasis smell

I grew up on a farm and apparently was around to much diesel smoke one time in particular the wind was just wrong and the fumes were going into the cab most of the day. Now I can’t stand the smell of diesel fumes they make me very nauseous. The DEF takes care of the nausea (I don’t know why) anyway has anyone had concerns with the smell etc from yours or your neighbors unit?
Can a person get an LP unit in a newmar?
Or is there a conversion to run the unit after the DEF? Thanks and safe travels to all.
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargee View Post
I grew up on a farm and apparently was around to much diesel smoke one time in particular the wind was just wrong and the fumes were going into the cab most of the day. Now I can’t stand the smell of diesel fumes they make me very nauseous. The DEF takes care of the nausea (I don’t know why) anyway has anyone had concerns with the smell etc from yours or your neighbors unit?
Can a person get an LP unit in a newmar?
Or is there a conversion to run the unit after the DEF? Thanks and safe travels to all.
Yes some Newmars have LP.

I have no concerns about the smell.

DEF is only used when the engine is running. I never heard of anyone somehow converting the Oasis to use DEF.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #3

The Oasis LP unit is about half the cost of diesel unit. LP unit isn't the same as diesel in relation to problems. Have a Newmar owner with DS who was very unhappy with LP because it used a lot LP and had service issue with it. He was checking on changing unit to diesel. Most coaches today are all electric which would be a problem. We have a 18 LA I we don't get the order of diesel. 90% we just use 2 electric heat elements and no diesel. Had Hydro-Hot on our Essex and it did have diesel order when being used. Oasis is a better unit and would recommend it over LP.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

Oasis smell

If your Oasis is stinking diesel exhaust fumes, it needs to be serviced.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
The Oasis LP unit is about half the cost of diesel unit. LP unit isn't the same as diesel in relation to problems. Have a Newmar owner with DS who was very unhappy with LP because it used a lot LP and had service issue with it. He was checking on changing unit to diesel. Most coaches today are all electric which would be a problem. We have a 18 LA I we don't get the order of diesel. 90% we just use 2 electric heat elements and no diesel. Had Hydro-Hot on our Essex and it did have diesel order when being used. Oasis is a better unit and would recommend it over LP.

Thank you Tom that is exactly what I was wondering.
Sargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Sargee".....Many people associate hydronic heating with Aqua Hot, kind of like calling a tissue, Kleenix. You could smell diesel with most of the Aqua Hot units. The Oasis units run really clean and I would bet that you couldn't detect diesel if you were standing next to one running.

Mine misbehaved for the first time last month and it started to run poorly. I serviced it right away and it was right back to running as clean as can be.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If your Oasis is stinking diesel exhaust fumes, it needs to be serviced.
Our coach is a 16 DSDP 4369 and I can smell the diesel when the oasis runs. It will smell the coach on the inside if the fantastic fans are on, not bad but you can definitely smell diesel. We had the unit serviced at Newmar on our 1 year warranty visit in October and it still smells of diesel when it runs. I would love it if it didn't smell, but that is not happening for us. It is in storage now for a couple of months and I go and run the oasis burner every couple of weeks and I have to open up the building as to not smell it up for the other coaches.
NoDents4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #8

Ours smells of diesel as well. It has since the day we picked it up.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe mine is broken, no diesel smell when mine is running. It really burns clean.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Extend the exhaust pipe about 2" past the edge of the coach....to push the exhaust beyond the coach house proper..the exhaust is drifting back underneath your house me thinks.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Maybe mine is broken, no diesel smell when mine is running. It really burns clean.
Wish that was the case for me. Ours has always smelled of diesel when it runs.
NoDents4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Our Oasis unit has a smell of combustion but nowhere as much of an odor as the diesel generator which exhausts nearby. The sight glass which gives one a view of the combustion should be yellow/white in color with no soot or lack of combustion.. The yearly maintenance agenda is mandatory.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:20 AM   #13

No issue with ours smelling inside the coach. If I’m outside when it fires up I get a faint smell of diesel. We normally run on electric with monthly switch to diesel for a day to keep it exercised.

First DP and we are happy it is a Newmar.

Tags
smell