Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star Don,
Thanks for the post. This will be of great help when we get our new coach in a month or two.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #16

new coach low on glycol , told by Newmar to only use century glycol. only place to get is from Newmar . Newmar dealer that I bought from sent me SIERRA propylene Glycol, to use . They are both green in color. I find it hard to think that the only place to buy is from Newmar. Peak products makes sierra. what would you do?
rickdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdw View Post
new coach low on glycol , told by Newmar to only use century glycol. only place to get is from Newmar . Newmar dealer that I bought from sent me SIERRA propylene Glycol, to use . They are both green in color. I find it hard to think that the only place to buy is from Newmar. Peak products makes sierra. what would you do?

I bought mine from here: Coolant
Old 12-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"rickdw".....Here is what I was told to use by Oasis. Century Transfer Fluid - Outdoors Unlimited, Inc.

I bought a gallon at the FMCA rally in Oregon. It was $25.00 there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
When I bought my motorhome new from the lot the Oasis overflow tank had a pink boiler antifreeze in it. I have added a couple of times using Camco boiler antifreeze which is also pink.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As usual, great post Don. Very helpful information, I feel a bit better prepared going to my delivery. Sounds like I'll be using two electric circuits and the diesel boiler while in Missouri!

Thanks for taking the time to post.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oasis for newbies

Don

Thank you very much for your writeup. I am a newbie and I just got my 4317 back from the shop. The previous owner had an aquastat replaced and evidently during the process the tech broke one wire and forgot to replace a second wire. I was just about to sit down and read the owners manual on how the system works when I first decided to see if there was any information on the forum. I hate reading tech manuals, usually written by someone that doesn't have hands on experience! One thing I was told by the shop that did the repair is that the system needs to be exercised frequently, so I am off to do that and learn more on how it works. Thanks again.
Tobys96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kend51 View Post
Dutch Star Don,
Thanks for the post. This will be of great help when we get our new coach in a month or two.
As usual, beautifully and logically written. My wife asked me to copy it into a pdf so that she could get to it easily. Thank you again. You are a wonderful resource not only for us newbies, but I'm sure for veterans as well.
Rob
Old 12-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
When I bought my motorhome new from the lot the Oasis overflow tank had a pink boiler antifreeze in it. I have added a couple of times using Camco boiler antifreeze which is also pink.

You did the right thing. Don't mix boiler fluid. Always use what ever the factory put in.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great write up DS Don. Even though my Ventana has a Precision Temp unit, this helped me understand mine better. Thank you.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys96 View Post
Don

Thank you very much for your writeup. I am a newbie and I just got my 4317 back from the shop. The previous owner had an aquastat replaced and evidently during the process the tech broke one wire and forgot to replace a second wire. I was just about to sit down and read the owners manual on how the system works when I first decided to see if there was any information on the forum. I hate reading tech manuals, usually written by someone that doesn't have hands on experience! One thing I was told by the shop that did the repair is that the system needs to be exercised frequently, so I am off to do that and learn more on how it works. Thanks again.
As a "just in case" tool you might want to get yourself a 6 inch long brass punch ( harbour freight). It is a great tool to use to tap a sticky valve.
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The rest of Don's write ups on Oasis are in his Mod Section in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Oasis use for newbies

Just a quick FYI addition to the tread. My new DSDP 4369 would not go into "summer loop" as discussed by Dutch Star Don and my interior vents kept putting warm air into the coach on hot south Florida days. After pulling my hair out for a few days, I called a very helpful rep at Oasis who promptly diagnosed my issue. There is a rocker switch on the top of the zone board that was left in the incorrect position from the dealer. It's not readily apparent as you look at the board. Once I flipped that, the heat zones shut off and the summer loop started to work.

Oops on edit
Just read an older thread where PDRJohn pointed out the switch and the function. Thanks to you and DS Don for all the pointers.

Ron & Kathy
2015 Dutch Star 4369
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
RVRon.....That's the test switch a tech uses to make sure the pumps are running. When it's on, it forces the pumps to run. It really needs a label that says keep OFF, for testing only. It's confusing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, newbies