Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #43

Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you all for the info !
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
Just a quick FYI addition to the tread. My new DSDP 4369 would not go into "summer loop" as discussed by Dutch Star Don and my interior vents kept putting warm air into the coach on hot south Florida days. After pulling my hair out for a few days, I called a very helpful rep at Oasis who promptly diagnosed my issue. There is a rocker switch on the top of the zone board that was left in the incorrect position from the dealer. It's not readily apparent as you look at the board. Once I flipped that, the heat zones shut off and the summer loop started to work.

Oops on edit
Just read an older thread where PDRJohn pointed out the switch and the function. Thanks to you and DS Don for all the pointers.

Ron & Kathy
2015 Dutch Star 4369
What's a "zone board" ?
Mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark71 View Post
What's a "zone board" ?

Look back at post #30 picture.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #46

Got it, thanks
Old 02-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #47

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3904964]There is already a thread on the bay heating in your water bay I will post here.
Also we have a sticky for [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/its-getting-cold-oasis-for-newbees-365450.html
OASIS Newbee's[/URL][/B] top of forum, you need to read the stickies lots of info for your Newmar.

HEAT IN WET BAY

Welcome to the forum and irv2. C Oakly
Here is a link to find your way around irv2.
Another link for all the tsb's,brochure, owners guide, recalls and other important stuff.
All links below in my signature have more info for your Newmar.
OWNERS GUIDE
If you have a question start a NEW THREAD top left of forum you add to someone else thread may not get answered.
Enjoy the forums and safe travels.
I'm a "pre-Newbie" meaning I will pick up my DS 4018 Thursday. So have been doing some reading on systems I'm unfamiliar with (e.g. OASIS) and other systems which will be different than what I've experienced. Just now figured out how important the "stickies" are and wanted to thank 007 for pointing toward them, and all who have contributed.

THANKS!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
This is our first coach with hydronic heating and everything was new to me. I like knowing how something works and have done my own repairs and servicing for the past 35 years. We live in California and rarely see really cold days while camping. For that reason, learning how the Oasis system works has been a process. I thought I would post what I’ve learned or the past year for those using a hydronic system for the first time. This may be too basic for some and I apologize in advance. If you see any obvious mistakes, please feel free to correct me so we can get the best info out there.

The Oasis "Heating Module", on my coach, is located on the driver’s side about mid coach. When you open the bay you’ll see the rubber push button to power the unit "Power On’. The Oasis system has a second unit, called the "Distribution Module" which is located close to the heating module. Mine is located directly behind the heating module and is accessed from the passenger’s side bay.

When the coach is not in use, the Oasis unit is turned off at the power switch on the front of the unit. Before a trip, I typically turn the unit on a day before so I don’t forget. Simply turning the unit on does not activate any heating.

Side note: The Oasis unit on Ventanas and Dutch Stars, when turned on, will allow the engine coolant to heat the unit while driving. This means that when you arrive at your destination, you’ll have hot water and the ability to turn the furnace on and immediately have heat. On models above the Dutch Star, the heating works in reverse and the Oasis system can be turned on to preheat the engine coolant before travel. This option can be added to the Dutch Star and Ventana (see QT’s by PDR John).

Once you arrive at your camping destination, you have a choice of methods for heating the unit. The Oasis unit can be heated electrically by two heating elements or by the diesel burner. The controls for the unit are located in the control panel above the windshield. The two heating elements can be turned on separately or together. Typically, if you’re on 30 amps, you would use one element. 50 amps would allow both to operate at the same time.

Side Note: When the electric elements are turned on, the indicator lights, adjacent to the electric element switch will light. Once the unit reaches temperature, the lights will shut off.

The diesel burner is also turned on at the control panel and can run in parallel with one or both electric elements.

The Oasis system has a "summer loop" and a "winter loop". The word loop refers to circulation of the boiler fluid. In the "summer loop", only water for the faucets and shower are being heated. In the "winter loop", boiler fluid is being circulated to the various heat exchangers (small radiators in the coach).

The "summer loop" is activated by turning on one or both of the heating sources (electric or diesel) while keeping the "Furnace" turned off at the thermostat. In this mode, you’ll have unlimited hot water.

The "winter loop" is activated by turning the "Furnace" on at the thermostat. You can leave the "Furnace" temp at a level below that of the coach and the system will continue to stay in "winter loop" and circulate boiler fluid to the various heat exchangers. When the thermostat temp is increased to something above room temperature, fans located behind each heat exchanger will come on and begin heating the coach.

There is a reason for a "summer loop" and a "winter loop". If you leave the coach in "winter loop" (Furnace on) during hot weather, boiler fluid will continue to be circulated to the heat exchangers. Even though the fans aren’t running, the exchangers will radiate heat, unnecessarily raising the interior coach temp .

The use of the Oasis system has been a learning experience for me. It takes some managing depending on how you like to use it. We recently did our first really cold weather trip and I learned several things, which is primarily why I’m writing this.

Depending on how you use the system, it requires some management. We arrived at a campground with an outside temp of 40 degrees. We had full hookups, so I turned on just the two electric elements. We like to sleep with a cool coach and I set the furnace to 60 degrees. In the morning, I turned up the furnace to 68 degrees and my wife jumped in the shower. The heater was still running and trying to bring the coach to temp. My wife ended up with a lukewarm shower.

The heater shut off at 68 degrees and I took my shower. It was hot. I thought the running of both electric elements would be the equivalent of running the diesel burner. Not so. Several factors came into play. The ground water was very cold and was being fed directly into the system when we showered. (Oasis technicians recommend using the onboard coach water in really cold weather and then replenishing it later.)

During our summer trips, we found two electric elements were plenty for a hot shower, especially since the system was not heating boiler fluid for the heat exchangers. Now in cold weather, with the heater running and showering at the same time, we needed the diesel burner and both electric elements. On this same trip, we boon docked for 5 days. The diesel burner is sufficient to heat everything by itself.

So here’s what we found. If we have 30 amp or 50 amp hookups during a summer trip, we’ll turn on one or both electric elements and have hot water. If we have 30 amp or 50 amp hookups during a cold winter stay, we’ll turn on both electric elements and the diesel burner. The electric burners will maintain temp and the diesel burner will supplement during high demand.

It’s apparent the diesel burner will provide all heating needs, but I don’t like to leave it on as the sole source of heat in a campground with hookups. Running the electric elements and the diesel burner will keep it from running unnecessarily.

Some other things.....When we first got the coach, I didn’t feel that the shower was getting as hot as it should. I called Oasis and they recommended that I turn up the flow valve. The valve is located inside the "Distribution Module" and requires removing the cover. This helped, but didn’t solve the issue. Another poster recommended that I remove the handle on the shower faucet and look for a restrictor. Sure enough, there was a red plastic ring used to restrict the travel of the handle. I removed the restrictor and have been very satisfied with the temp.

Oasis offers a service kit for $100.00. It includes tune parts, filters and a large diesel fuel filter. The filter is similar to the engine filter and is located in the generator bay on my coach.

The unit also uses Century Transfer Fluid in the boiler system. The overflow canister for the system is at the rear of the coach in the engine compartment.

I hope this helps some new users with their Oasis unit.

Thanks Don for taking time to outline this for us. Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Question Don, will the front dash heat exchanger only work if the wall Control is set to furnace? Thanks Stuart
Old 02-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #50
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On mine, it will only turn on when the thermostat is set to furnace (Zone 1).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
On mine, it will only turn on when the thermostat is set to furnace (Zone 1).

Thanks Don, so there is also a heater core for the automotive AC/heat?
Old 02-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Thanks Don, so there is also a heater core for the automotive AC/heat?

Yes, that correct.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:14 AM   #53
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well wait a minute......we might be confusing things here. You have your dash A/C and heater core that was part of your chassis, just like your car has. There is a secondary heater core at the base of your dash that is SOLELY connected to the Oasis unit. It has nothing to do with your chassis heat and A/C. The one under the dash is part of your coach (house) furnace system. It only operates when the Oasis system is set to furnace and you turn the rocker switch (on the dash) to ON. My main cabin area has two heater cores powered by the Oasis unit along with the dash unit. These operate under Zone 1 of the furnace. My half bath, bedroom and master bath also have a heater core powered by the Oasis system when Zone 2 is on. My half bath is just like the dash heater core. It only operates when the FAN switch in the half bath is turned ON.

Lastly, there is one more heater core just behind the wet bay wall that keeps your tanks warm in cold weather. It uses a mini thermostat in the at that tells it when to turn on and off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:39 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Well wait a minute......we might be confusing things here. You have your dash A/C and heater core that was part of your chassis, just like your car has. There is a secondary heater core at the base of your dash that is SOLELY connected to the Oasis unit. It has nothing to do with your chassis heat and A/C. The one under the dash is part of your coach (house) furnace system. It only operates when the Oasis system is set to furnace and you turn the rocker switch (on the dash) to ON. My main cabin area has two heater cores powered by the Oasis unit along with the dash unit. These operate under Zone 1 of the furnace. My half bath, bedroom and master bath also have a heater core powered by the Oasis system when Zone 2 is on. My half bath is just like the dash heater core. It only operates when the FAN switch in the half bath is turned ON.

Lastly, there is one more heater core just behind the wet bay wall that keeps your tanks warm in cold weather. It uses a mini thermostat in the at that tells it when to turn on and off.

Ok got it, thanks for the clarification Don
Old 03-04-2018, 05:17 AM   #55

Temp outside is 41degrees. HPs struggling. I turned on Furnace and all appropriate switches. Oops....here comes a red light indicating a Heater Module Fault. So I turned HPs back on and let them struggle. Thought I’d like this system on my Ventana but now I’m rethinking. I already had no hot water during last
cold spell here in FL and had to heave my summer loop valVe/pump replaced. Anyone have any clue as to why the Heater Module Fault light. I like to stay warm.
sassyannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Go outside and look at the Oasis unit itself and look at the series of lights on the unit and you should have one or more lights lit and telling you what the fault is. That is a good starting point. May be as simple as needing to add fluid. Call Oasis (ITR) tomorrow and discuss the issue the are great in working the issues out with you. You will love the system

Tags
newbie, newbies