Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #1

Oasis Warning - This Could Have Been Really Bad

I will try and keep this short as possible and on point. Over the last two months my circuit breaker has tripped twice for the Oasis heater element #2 for no apparent reason. I attributed it to excess usage caused by the heater being on, induction cooktop, lights, TV, etc. On Thursday morning my DW called out from the shower that the hot water just went away. I found the breaker tripped once again and it would not reset. The diesel burner was not running and the red fault light on the Oasis panel was glowing brightly.

I tried to reset the diesel burner with no luck. I called ITR (the Oasis manufacturer) and we spent 90 minutes on the phone as they walked me through a possible solution. We were able to determine the compressor was not properly grounded but could not figure out why. We now agreed this was an electrical issue and I need to get a service tech as soon as possible. (As an aside, ITR was great to work with throughout this whole issue.) They were unable to provide me a qualified service tech in the Las Vegas area and referred me to the Newmar website which listed three.

The first place I called told me there was really only one outfit in Las Vegas that worked on the Oasis system. I contacted them and the first time they could get to me was mid-week next week and we scheduled the appointment. After the phone call I asked around the RV Resort and was told this RV repair shop was really bad for both service and overcharging. They referred me to Just Right RV Repair who was a factory trained and authorized Aqua-Hot mobile repair service. I called and was told he could come by Saturday and would try to get there Friday, if possible. He assured me he would not charge for the service call and diagnosis if he could not do the repair. He indicated that Oasis and Aqua-Hot were quite different from each other but that he has serviced a dozen or so Oasis systems over the last two years. I felt good about our phone conversation and the recommendations from my fellow RV’ers.

He called me Friday about 2:00 and said he would be there shortly. By 3:00 he had completed his diagnosis. The next half hour was on the phone with ITR confirming his diagnosis and ordering parts for overnight Saturday delivery by noon. Total parts were about $200 and shipping was another $100. Once again ITR and their people were great. The next day the parts and Larry arrived as promised and the project was completed by midafternoon. Total labor cost was $660 for 5.5 hours of labor. On Monday I will start the claim process with my extended warranty provider.

NOW THE REASON FOR THIS POSTING…………….My Oasis has used about 1.5 gallons of boiler fluid over the past 2.5 years. There are nearly 800 hours on the hour meter. The fluid usage was never more than a cup at a time, every couple of weeks. This forum has addressed this issue as air in the lines just clearing out, etc. Also, I never found evidence of a leak but guess I never really looked hard enough.

It turns out there was a small leak in the float assembly and it likely was there since day one of my coach ownership. The leak melted the insulation on several wires and this caused the electrical failures resulting in a direct short. The boiler fluid and melted insulation created a crystallization over much of the right front of the burn box. You could not see this until the wire harnesses and exhaust tubes were taken off or moved aside. When we scraped it off there was evidence of fire in or around the fiberglass insulation that surrounds the burn box. Wow, we really dodged a bullet on this.

I encourage everyone who has ever experienced any of the same symptoms take a few minutes and double check your Oasis system. Make sure the power is off, the burner is off and the system has cooled off. Take off the cover (remove the 4 screws), remove the shroud (loosen the 3 screws and lift it off), and undo the exhaust tube (remove 2 screws). Once you have clear access dig through the wires and make sure you have no issues. For us finding this issues when we did could have saved our lives.

On Monday I will update the good folks at ITR and notify Newmar of what I found. I think this was an unusual and isolated incident but you can never be too cautious. I will monitor this post and answer any questions or provide additional information is requested.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Good posting!!!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thank you, glad your safe
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:13 AM   #4

Thanks so much for your posting. Yes, this could be an isolated case, but anything man made, well you never know. Just replaced the rad-cap on my hydro-hot (leaky dang thing). You dodged a bullet for sure. File that one in the memory bank.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:06 AM   #5

As one who has been taken by overcharging and inept "techs", I feel your relief in finding an honest, competent repair person. Very good write up!
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
How about posting the name, address, and number of that Mobil tech?
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #7

Thanks that is Good Info -- and good luck with the extended service contract, I have always alerted them prior to doing repairs, after the fact may be an issue.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #8

Oasis

So glad you are safe.
Thank you for the info. My annual service is due in May. Will look at things a little closer when I have it apart. Also my experience with the good folks at ITR has been nothing but outstanding. They are a standard that others should try to meet.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have an AquaHot 600D, just found that it was low on boiler fluid. Put half a gallon in and let it cool, the reservoir is empty again but the low coolant light never came on. No sign of an external leak so need to pull the access panels and look for leaks like the OP found.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #10

I have received a couple of PM's as well as one of the post responses asking for information on the company I used for my repairs. I was not sure if you are allowed to post this information so I didn't but here it is. It is strictly a mobile service so the address is irrelevant. They service Las Vegas and the name is "Just Right RV Repair Service". The owner and service tech are one and the same. His name is Larry and even his business card and invoice do not list his last name. I mentioned I could not find much about him on the internet and he said "good" since he is as busy as he needs or wants to be and believes word of mouth is the best possible advertising there is. I think he is on the Aqua-Hot website since he is factory trained and an approved Aqua-Hot service provider. He said he is also approved by Newmar for warranty work. His phone number is 702-830-1028 and if you google that there are a few hits and reviews but not much information. Perhaps he is in the Witness Protection Program..........LOL Feel free to PM me if you need or want more information.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #11

I also had a ‘slow’ boiler fluid leak, but the source was totally different. There happened to be a pin hole in the metal of the neck of the radiator cap, and of course it was intermittent. To make matters more of a challenge, the leak was covered by a rubber boot that obscured the leak. ITR was ultimately great in this tough issue, and in the end overnighted a whole new unit.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway4002 View Post
I have received a couple of PM's as well as one of the post responses asking for information on the company I used for my repairs. I was not sure if you are allowed to post this information so I didn't but here it is. It is strictly a mobile service so the address is irrelevant. They service Las Vegas and the name is "Just Right RV Repair Service". The owner and service tech are one and the same. His name is Larry and even his business card and invoice do not list his last name. I mentioned I could not find much about him on the internet and he said "good" since he is as busy as he needs or wants to be and believes word of mouth is the best possible advertising there is. I think he is on the Aqua-Hot website since he is factory trained and an approved Aqua-Hot service provider. He said he is also approved by Newmar for warranty work. His phone number is 702-830-1028 and if you google that there are a few hits and reviews but not much information. Perhaps he is in the Witness Protection Program..........LOL Feel free to PM me if you need or want more information.

We know Larry as he has fixed several issues on either a lot we were on or on our 17 DSDP 4369 coach. Biggest issue was the automatic door locks quit working. Larry was able to find a short in one of the baggage door locks caused by a pinched wire which burnt out the front door lock. If you’re in the Vegas area and need something on your coach worked on, give him a call.