RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #43

And why should both the inside red light and also the one on the panel out in the compartment next to the Oasis unit stay lit after the fuse is pulled?

Oh, it has blown, will see what happens when it's replaced.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #44

Well, crap. As soon as I touched the new fuse to the contacts it sparked and blew the fuse again.
Guess that means the Summer Loop pump is bad again.

These Oasis systems are sure a pain in the rear.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #45
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Just got off the phone with ITR, man what a grouch. Starting telling him about the Zone Fault light coming on and he interrupted me saying to check the fuse.
When I started telling him that the light went off when I started the Furnace fans he interrupted me again saying " I know how the system works, change the fuse".
You should look back at the thread and see how many times you were told to check or change the fuse.

I can understand his frustration, I seriously consider deleting the IRV2 link from my computer somedays.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Well, crap. As soon as I touched the new fuse to the contacts it sparked and blew the fuse again.
Guess that means the Summer Loop pump is bad again.

These Oasis systems are sure a pain in the rear.
Sorry to hear about the grumpy old man, but maybe you have solved your issue. good luck
Old 12-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
You should look back at the thread and see how many times you were told to check or change the fuse.

I can understand his frustration, I seriously consider deleting the IRV2 link from my computer somedays.
As far as he knew this was my first question so he had no reason to be grumpy. Maybe he was just having a bad day. I can understand how the Forum members might have been getting a little frustrated with me.

Sorry, it was just a little hard for this 82 year old mind to grasp how a fuse could cause the red light to be on at one time then be out another time then again be on. What little mechanical knowledge I do have always indicated when a fuse blows it doesn't start working later.
Until I hear back from ITR I won't know if the pump is the only culprit here as one of the above Posters indicated he had a different item that failed.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #48
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry, as I too can sometimes be a grumpy old man.

In an effort to help you understand I did a little experiment. Here are 4 pictures from my system.

*Note: Edited to change order of pictures

Picture #1 - shows everything normal and up to temperature.

Picture #2 - Fuse removed for the summer loop pump (lower left fuse). Note there is no red light.

Picture #3 - Went inside to turn the hot water faucet on. Noted there was no red light inside on the burner switch panel. As I was running the water the module fault light came on inside by the burner switch. I went outside and this is the picture with the summer loop fault light on.

Picture #4 - Summer loop pump fuse removed with cover on and hot water running inside.

My conclusion is that the red lights are blown fuse indicators and they are only on when the Oasis control has called for the pump to run. So if you let the main tank cool down the summer loop pump power would be off and you will not see a red light on the panel inside and the module outside.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1846.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	269269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1850.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	269274  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	269275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	269276  

Old 12-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #49

Paul you were definitely right, I should have been re-reading all the Posts sooner. Just did that this morning for the 3rd time now and it all is beginning to make a little more sense. Kind of like way back when i can remember college days, you don't just read your text you have to re-read and study it.
And you certainly went to a lot of trouble to make those 4 pictures.
Those pictures look like mine except my fuse was blown. And both red lights, in the coach and at the Summer Loop panel were still on, with or without the blown fuse in.
Removed the blown fuse and lights remained on.
Tried to install new fuse, sparks flew as soon as new fuse touched the connection, and fuse was blown again. Both red lights still on.

Later on in the evening after the Oasis had cooled down all the red lights went out.

Received e-mail this morning from ITR and they still say Summer Loop pump is bad. Said they have better pumps now. Sure hope they are right because I'm going to have my dealer order and install the pump to get it on my extended warranty. And it's a 4 1/2 hr drive to get to the dealer. Like Dutch Star Don once said, to do it myself I would need a rope tied around my ankles so someone could pull me out when I needed to get out.

Kind of wonder if my pump has been running by itself since I haven't run a hot water faucet for 5-6 weeks before starting the winterization process. Blew out the pipes and run all water faucets just a few seconds to get pink color. That shouldn't have burned up the pump all at once.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #50

Paul, on your conclusion that the lights are only for burned out fuses do pictures 3 & 4 show red lights on with no fuse installed and hot water running? Is this an indication of trouble with your Summer Loop pump? Still studying your conclusion.

Wish I could run some hot water but since I have already emptyed the fresh water tank I'm unable to do that. Other than that my lights were coming on when the Oasis was hot and going off when Oasis cooled down, but the blown fuse is still a problem. Guess it must blow when Oasis heats up and Summer Loop calls for hot water to be ready for a faucet to be turned on?
Old 12-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #51

Oasis system

Let me throw a little light on this Oasis system. I have an 09 Dutch Star and at that time they were using Precision Heat which is LP, but doesn't matter for this discussion. Your Oasis, or Aqua Hot are all working on the same principal. There are basically. 2 sections in your unit. There is a burner unit with a coil running around it to heat the the liquid which is a special antifreeze. That is the fluid to carry heat to your coach. You have circulating pumps to circulate that heated liquid through out your coach. For simplification, the pumps are operated by a zone stat. That pump is responsible pushing the heating liquid through the burner coil and through a reservoir tank and through the heat system for your coach. That is a closed system and does not mix with any other system. Now in the reservoir tank, there is another coil immersed in the heat side that when fresh water, be it from a hose or fresh water tank and pump, heats the water going to your shower, kitchen, bath, etc. This is a tankless hot water heater. The 2 systems are connected, but never mix.
Now on winterizing. If you are going to turn your heat off and winterize, you do need to winterize the hot water, shower, sink etc, otherwise there is the possibility of freezing and damaging that coil, not the heat side, but the water heater side. Someone previous to me did that to my system, did not winterize and damaged the water heater coil, and the hot water tank had to be replaced before I took delivery. So, yes winterize, I pump RV antifreeze in and through and out a hot water faucet, which indicated I have filled it with antifreeze. FYI, if you have hot water heat in your home, you might have the potential for the same thing giving you basically free hot water in an unlimited supply. Another FYI, I have overm25 yrs in the heating and ac business.
1 Auctioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Auctioneer View Post
Let me throw a little light on this Oasis system. I have an 09 Dutch Star and at that time they were using Precision Heat which is LP, but doesn't matter for this discussion. Your Oasis, or Aqua Hot are all working on the same principal. There are basically. 2 sections in your unit. There is a burner unit with a coil running around it to heat the the liquid which is a special antifreeze. That is the fluid to carry heat to your coach. You have circulating pumps to circulate that heated liquid through out your coach. For simplification, the pumps are operated by a zone stat. That pump is responsible pushing the heating liquid through the burner coil and through a reservoir tank and through the heat system for your coach. That is a closed system and does not mix with any other system. Now in the reservoir tank, there is another coil immersed in the heat side that when fresh water, be it from a hose or fresh water tank and pump, heats the water going to your shower, kitchen, bath, etc. This is a tankless hot water heater. The 2 systems are connected, but never mix.
Now on winterizing. If you are going to turn your heat off and winterize, you do need to winterize the hot water, shower, sink etc, otherwise there is the possibility of freezing and damaging that coil, not the heat side, but the water heater side. Someone previous to me did that to my system, did not winterize and damaged the water heater coil, and the hot water tank had to be replaced before I took delivery. So, yes winterize, I pump RV antifreeze in and through and out a hot water faucet, which indicated I have filled it with antifreeze. FYI, if you have hot water heat in your home, you might have the potential for the same thing giving you basically free hot water in an unlimited supply. Another FYI, I have overm25 yrs in the heating and ac business.
Your “concept of operation” is INCORRECT! You are correct that the “boiler fluid” and water systems are separate and never physically mix. But you are absolutely INCORRECT that one of the immersion heaters is located in the water loop! Both immersion heaters are located inside the “heating unit” (diesel and electrical). All heat transfer occurs within the “heat exchanger” located in the distribution module. And yes, IF you are going to winterize the coach, the entire water loop, to include the hot water need to be protected. If you’ve drained/blown the water loop you CAN SAFELY OPERATE the Oasis System for coach heat because they are indeed separate systems.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #53

Really appreciate all the great information. Learning more and more about the Oasis system, which seems to be lot more complicated than most of us realize.

One thing I'm not clear on yet is why the Zone Fault red light in the overhead cabinet and the Summer Loop red light on the panel outside doesn't light up when the Oasis is cold, but as soon as it begins to heat up with the AC I & II both lights come on. And this is with the Summer Loop fuse pulled out (it was blown anyway).

What is calling for heat that causes the lights to come on when the fuse is already pulled? ITR says the wires are shorted in the Summer Loop pump and needs replacing but the fuse has already blown. They don't take the time to explain this.

Why should there be any call for heat when no hot water faucets are opened? Is the Summer Loop pump running all this time?
Is this somehow what's causing all the Summer Loop pumps to be going bad so soon? This will be my second one in 4 year.

Oh, the lights do go out as soon as the Furnace activates and the coach heater fans come on to heat the coach. More confusion on my part.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #54
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When the fluid in the tank gets cold there is a thermostat that disables the summer loop pump. There is another thermostat on the heat exchanger that turns on the summer loop pump but the summer loop pump will not run if the Oasis tank is cold.

I have not found any mention of a flow sensor switch in any of the manuals. The best I can determine the summer loop pump works off of temperature only. When you turn the faucet on the heat exchanger cools and the summer loop is turned on by the heat exchanger thermostat.

I explained in my previous post that the heat loop pumps run fluid through the domestic hot water heat exchanger also. When the heat loop pumps are running the summer loop pump does not need to run for hot water.

Attached is a drawing showing the DM-12 distribution box flow paths. Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #55

Wow Paul, that's some schematic. Going to take a little time to follow all that through the operations.
Thanks for all your time, effort, and explanations.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Really appreciate all the great information. Learning more and more about the Oasis system, which seems to be lot more complicated than most of us realize.

One thing I'm not clear on yet is why the Zone Fault red light in the overhead cabinet and the Summer Loop red light on the panel outside doesn't light up when the Oasis is cold (The light doesn’t illuminate because the pumps are locked out until the system reaches 140F Plus, with the pumps locked out, there is no call for the pumps to turn on, thus there is no electrical potential on the Summer Loop pump., but as soon as it begins to heat up with the AC I & II both lights come on As PTW stated, there is heat sensor on the heat exchanger, once the system is enabled >140F, the Summer Loop Pump will turn on to “mix” the boiler fluid as it heats. NOW there IS an electrical potential applied to the Summer Loop Pump BUT, the fuse is blown hence the red lights illuminate telling you there is an issue!. And this is with the Summer Loop fuse pulled out (it was blown anyway). Let’s talk about the RED light! The Red light is an “indicator” telling you the fuse is BLOWN! The Red light sits “before” the fuse and is seeking ground through a high impedance resistor. If the Pump Fuse blows, the path of least resistance is through the Red light and high impedance resistor, hence the Red light illuminates indicating a blown fuse!

What is calling for heat that causes the lights to come on when the fuse is already pulled? When you turned on the immersion heaters, the system is trying to heat the boiler fluid. Part of that process is to turn on the Summer Loop Pump to mix the fluid. ITR says the wires are shorted in the Summer Loop pump and needs replacing but the fuse has already blown. Which is why you are seeing a red light.) They don't take the time to explain this.

Why should there be any call for heat when no hot water faucets are opened? Is the Summer Loop pump running all this time? “All this time”, no but it will turn on to aid in the mixing of the boiler fluid.
Is this somehow what's causing all the Summer Loop pumps to be going bad so soon? This will be my second one in 4 year. The Summer Loop pump is used quite a bit!

Oh, the lights do go out as soon as the Furnace activates and the coach heater fans come on to heat the coach. Yes it will, if a “Heat Loop Pump activates, the Summer Loop Pump is deactivated, when the Summer Loop Pump deactivates, the electrical potential to the pump is removed and the Red Light turns off. More confusion on my part.
E = I/R. Any questions?? The attached wiring diagram goes with PTW’s Flow diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oasis-Wiring-Diagram-internal-ED019-43.pdf (108.3 KB, 4 views)

Tags
oasis