Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #1

Oasis Zone Fault?

Just noticed this evening on the Oasis control panel in the cabinet over the passenger's seat that there is a red light beside the Zone Fault.
The AC II has been on yesterday and today parked here in the back yard but it hasn't been below 40 degrees where I have the thermostat set.

What does all this indicate and what should I be looking for?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Just noticed this evening on the Oasis control panel in the cabinet over the passenger's seat that there is a red light beside the Zone Fault.
The AC II has been on yesterday and today parked here in the back yard but it hasn't been below 40 degrees where I have the thermostat set.

What does all this indicate and what should I be looking for?

I had a zone 1 fault light on my Oasis panel and it turned out to be a bad zone 1 pump. Ordered a new pump from ITR and installed it which fixed the problem. I would recommend you call them as they will walk you through a trouble shooting process that will help you identify the cause of the fault. They are great to work with.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would shut it all down, including the main unit in the bay and then restart it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #4

I blew out the fresh water lines 3 days ago but have kept using the AC I & II to heat the coach during some below freezing temps so only the Zone 1 and Zone 2 pumps should be working, not the Summer loop pump, if I understand the system right.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not an expert on the Oasis and I've never had to winterize, but I don't think you can drain the water and run the Oasis. When you turn it on, it has no way of knowing that you don't want the summer loop pump to run. You can prevent the other pumps from running by not turning on the furnace, but the summer pump is going to run when the system is turned on and AC1 or AC2 is selected.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:02 AM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First thing to look at is distribution module zone board for a fault. It is in the compartment with the Oasis unit. Mine is on the the right side wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8297.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	268885  
Old 12-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #7

There are fuses inside the zone board just pop the cover off and check all the fuses this will help lead you to the problem if one is blown.

Ted
Old 12-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm not an expert on the Oasis and I've never had to winterize, but I don't think you can drain the water and run the Oasis. When you turn it on, it has no way of knowing that you don't want the summer loop pump to run. You can prevent the other pumps from running by not turning on the furnace, but the summer pump is going to run when the system is turned on and AC1 or AC2 is selected.
Yes, you can run the Oasis with the water drained. The Summer Loop pump may run... But what is it going to do? It will circulate the boiler fluid to keep it at temp. If the Heat Loops are running they will do the same thing, keep the boiler fluid within the preset operating range.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The more I read about the Oasis the more confused I get. This morning no Zone Fault light on, everything looks normal. Checked the panel outside by the Oasis and only green lights showing. What could have caused that Zone Fault lite to be on? Lost some sleep last night for nothing, maybe.

After I fill all the lines with pink antifreeze I guess when the Summer Loop pump needs to pump it would just be pink instead of water. Would just running the Furnace only move Oasis fluid instead of water since no hot water faucets would be on?

And this brings up another question I have about winterizing the Oasis: After blowing out the fresh water lines I'm ready to pump pink stuff thru all the lines. When I turn a hot water faucet on (water pump is pumping pink stuff now) does this clear the fresh water out of the Oasis and run pink into those lines by the time pink is coming out of the hot water faucet? And that would assume the Summer Loop pump is working - but suppose that pump has quit will pink stuff still get thru the Oasis water lines?

I have winterized the last 4 years but never thought about what is happening in the Oasis since the water pump is moving pink stuff just like it would normally be doing with fresh water.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #10

It;s hard to visualize what all is happening in this Oasis to heat water for faucets and also circulate hot fluid for heating. I always thought the Summer Loop pump sent water through hot fluid since it takes a few seconds to get hot water after the faucet is turned on. But still didn't understand how water keeps flowing when the Summer pump goes defective. Oh, how simple the propane water heaters were.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
It;s hard to visualize what all is happening in this Oasis to heat water for faucets and also circulate hot fluid for heating. I always thought the Summer Loop pump sent water through hot fluid since it takes a few seconds to get hot water after the faucet is turned on. But still didn't understand how water keeps flowing when the Summer pump goes defective. Oh, how simple the propane water heaters were.
The summer loop pump sends the heated fluid to the heat exchanger. The domestic water flows through the heat exchanger when you turn the faucet on. You can continue to get hot water when the summer loop pump is bad because the heat loop pumps also pump water through the domestic hot water heat exchanger. The bypass switch will also turn on the heat loop pumps.

If you blow out your system there is no domestic water in the heat exchanger but the summer loop pump and the heat loop pumps still pumps the fluid through the heat exchanger for domestic hot water.

Since you blew the lines out the water side of the heat exchanger is dry. I wouldn't think that the heat exchanger being dry and hot would cause a problem, but I would probably call Oasis before I did that for extended times.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Not sure this helps, the hot water loop is only only heated when the aqua flow valve senses water flow and only then will it heat.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The more I read about the Oasis the more confused I get. This morning no Zone Fault light on, everything looks normal. Checked the panel outside by the Oasis and only green lights showing. What could have caused that Zone Fault lite to be on? Lost some sleep last night for nothing, maybe.

After I fill all the lines with pink antifreeze I guess when the Summer Loop pump needs to pump it would just be pink instead of water. Would just running the Furnace only move Oasis fluid instead of water since no hot water faucets would be on?

And this brings up another question I have about winterizing the Oasis: After blowing out the fresh water lines I'm ready to pump pink stuff thru all the lines. When I turn a hot water faucet on (water pump is pumping pink stuff now) does this clear the fresh water out of the Oasis and run pink into those lines by the time pink is coming out of the hot water faucet? And that would assume the Summer Loop pump is working - but suppose that pump has quit will pink stuff still get thru the Oasis water lines?

I have winterized the last 4 years but never thought about what is happening in the Oasis since the water pump is moving pink stuff just like it would normally be doing with fresh water.
From the manual:

Zone Fault LED (Red) (Functional with Distribution Module Equipped Models Only )
• When ON, indicates the space heating zone(s) has faulted. The specific fault can be identified by examining the Distribution Module Zone Control Panel (optional) located beside the OasisTM Heating Module. There are indicator LED’s on the panel that indicate the problem. Refer to the description of the Distribution Module Zone Control Panel for further details.

Next time you see the light, look at the Distribution Module Zone Board that I sent a picture of above.

The pink antifreeze replaces your domestic water and has no contact with the fluid in your Oasis.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Like I said, I'm not an expert on the Oasis system, but if the hot water is heated by the heat exchanger as it passes by, what's happening when there is no water on the other side of the heat exchanger, to absorb that heat?

I'm probably missing something, but I would think water is needed to keep the heat exchanger from heating air. You won't hurt my feelings to explain what I'm missing.

Tags
oasis