Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Observations from anyone who has driven both the 33’ and 35’ New Aire?

Or more specifically, compare and contrast the 360hp 206” wheel base and 450hp and the 226” wheel base.

Im interested in reflections on handling and power, and also maneuverability. I can’t imagine 2’ in length makes much difference in maneuverability, however the wheel base would increase turning radius some, but should also improve ride comfort some. Also acceleration from a dead stop and maintaining speed on grades.

Towing performance is obviously going to be better, and living space in the 33’ floor plans would be perfectly sufficient for me, so Im interested in daily driving results. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Rich
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #2

I have owned both and love both. The 33 turns too short, really you CAN easily turn short enough to bend your tow bar! The 35 turns sharper than anything I have driven except the 33 and turns very sharp as both have the 60 degree wheel cut. The power is plenty adequate on the 33 and, of course, better on the 35. The ride and handling are about equal and are both excellent. I came from a 45 ft Entegra Cornerstone and honestly they ride and drive about the same and both handle great when meeting trucks or in crosswinds. Both of mine were the same 43 floor plan and there are several advantages to the 35 over the 33 for us. More storage in the bedroom, a little bigger in the kitchen bathroom and living room with the drivers side and full wall slides both being bigger. The 2020 with the new Mercedes dash, tranny selector and Jake Control’s on the steering column are a huge advantage for me. Also the new light panels and location are better and the new backsplashes in kitchen and bathroom are great. The 35 has more bay storage and of course the king bed. The acceleration on all diesels is not speedy but the 35 has some advantage there and does maintain much better speed on grades, especially very long, steady grades. All in all the 33 is very acceptable and the 35 is even better but at a considerably higher cost and weight. We are on the road about 8-9 months per year and are at capacity on GVW with full fuel and fresh water tanks but have the bays really loaded and everything we want and need on the inside of the coach. I do not carry extensive, heavy tool boxes so you could overload it in extreme cases. Don’t think you could overload the 33 as it weighs over 2500 lbs less with the same tire, axle and GVW ratings. All JMHO
Old 12-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thank you for a very thorough and well reasoned response. I thought about discussing controls but since it wouldn't be a deciding factor omitted the question. But since you bring it up, I would have thought the preference would be towards the traditional transmission controls, and that adding comfort drive among other things to the controls on the steering wheel would just further complicate an already crowded control area. Perhaps it’s just the opposite.

I thought the baggage area was generous enough on the 33 and I too will be traveling light on tools with this sort of coach, but I am looking forward to seeing the three 35’ models in a couple weeks. Cargo carrying capacity isn't a concern with me as I wont be full-timing and nothing I load on the coach will be remarkably heavy. But its always nice to have more volume than you need.

Ive only driven a 400hp cat powered 34’ Country Coach and I was surprised at the slow acceleration after decades of driving fire engines that, while heavy, were both super-charged and turbo charged and accelerated fast enough to be dangerous in untrained hands. But my interest is in maintaining speed on long grades and not beating traffic off the line, so Im sure either will be satisfactory with the 450hp winning easily in the grade category.

Ive been leaning towards the 41 floor plans as I like the split bath and two partitioning doors, but I’ll look closely at all of them. Any more insights, preferences, and observations would be very much appreciated.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #4

Fire trucks are not a good comparison [emoji2], it’s a tilted field as you point out. Motorhomes, even my 600, are not speedy on acceleration. The comfort drive adjustment, while is technically on the steering wheel is a combination of changes and you have to change menus to get to it. Not something I want to do while driving and a change I do not like. But the tranny control is just a twist knob on a stick on the column which allows you to shift without turning in your seat and looking behind you. Admittedly only a factor at very little or no speed but still a very nice and for me welcome change. The Jake control is a much more important and needed change as you can now just pull it down to turn it on and push it up to turn it off without looking and feeling for it beside you, a safety improvement from my point of view. And these features are on both for 2020 so not a difference in the 33 vs the 35. We wanted the fireplace so the 41 was not an option for us and we like the bathroom all being in one room as that room is bigger. The two doors would be very nice however. Either length will work great to fill your needs. My opinion is that either engine is very adequate but you will be somewhat disappointed on very long grades with the 33 but by “driving it” down and ahead of the grades with you experience it will be fine and at a much cheaper cost. Good luck with your choice and you can not make a bad decision as they are both great coaches. Any questions I can help with I am more than glad to respond.

Tags
air