Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Odometer reset to zero

06 Ventana 3330,
In January the odo,reset,to,zero. Talked,to,Freightliner said this year can not be reset to proper mileage. Alto they have heard of this happening it just can't be reset. Cummings reset the mmdsc to original engine mileage.
They could not,reset,the odo .
Now,the problem ,, I have it for,sale, because of my age. New title that the buyer gets states correct mileage but the odo does not.lender won't lend money cause of this discrepancy. The info center reads correct mileage. It's just not on the odo.
Has anyone dealt with this situatation and how did you resolve it?
Thanks for,your help.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
06 Ventana 3330,
In January the odo,reset,to,zero. Talked,to,Freightliner said this year can not be reset to proper mileage. Alto they have heard of this happening it just can't be reset. Cummings reset the mmdsc to original engine mileage.
They could not,reset,the odo .
Now,the problem ,, I have it for,sale, because of my age. New title that the buyer gets states correct mileage but the odo does not.lender won't lend money cause of this discrepancy. The info center reads correct mileage. It's just not on the odo.
Has anyone dealt with this situatation and how did you resolve it?
Thanks for,your help.
Had the same issue on my last coach. Have Freightliner dump and print the coach data from the on-board memory. Every available aspect of your coach's mechanical data is available to the buyer this way.

Long story short: The lawyers for Delmar state that the odometer can not be set to the original computer stored mileage because it is against the law to tamper with the odometer. Lying, according to them, is legal. Only a German lawyer can come to this conclusion. da. I know a guy who sets the odometers of cars to the correct reading after a odometer system repair. Many dealers use his services. His lawyer is located in the good old US of A!

Rick Y
Old 05-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
DJJ

Just had my ECM replaced on my Cat motor by a Cat dealer. When I picked the RV up the odometer was at 0 miles. Asked the service manager and within 10 minutes a tech was in the parking lot with his lap top and hooked up. Asked how many miles I wanted on the odometer, 5 minutes later was on the road. And yes, I gave the correct mileage.

I can't imagine a Cumm motor can't be reset by a dealer also.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

Buy a new speedometer...when you get it from the manufacturer they will program in the correct hours and engine time...had my speedo fail this past year. Put the new one in after they programmed it and it read just like the old one.
neilnbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #5

Sir:
Can you tell me where you purchased the speedo,enter and had it reset?
Mine is a 06 Newmar Freightliner chassis and have had no luck in talking to,Cummings, Freightliner or Newmar in replacing and Resetting the odometer.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

Checked with medallion the manufacturer and they said no. However the correct mileage is now in the info center after a visit to,a Cummings dealer.

No joy in getting the odometer corrected.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Sir:
Can you tell me where you purchased the speedo,enter and had it reset?
Mine is a 06 Newmar Freightliner chassis and have had no luck in talking to,Cummings, Freightliner or Newmar in replacing and Resetting the odometer.
Any help is appreciated.
None available for Freightliner. I corresponded with Freightliner for several weeks arguing that the speedometer is not being tampered with but corrected to the actual mileage on the coach. They refused to budge. I contacted the manufacturer of the modual and they indicated that it was possible but they could not because of warranty issues with Freightliner. I even went so far as to contact several car instrument repair shops and they could not find the correct information to do the correction. I was penalized $5k because of this issue by North Trail RV when I traded the '05 Winnebago Vectra for this Itaska Meridian.

I hope you have better success that I did. I spent about a month trying to get done what you are now seeking without success.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 06-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #8

Okaaaaaay.
Freightliner is telling me it can't be done , not that they don't want too.
07 made so it can be reset. Talked,to,the manufacturer of,the odometer,and they said no also. Wonder if you could bill freight liner for,the 5K. It is,their goof that caused you to loose it. Yea right.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Okaaaaaay.
Freightliner is telling me it can't be done , not that they don't want too.
07 made so it can be reset. Talked,to,the manufacturer of,the odometer,and they said no also. Wonder if you could bill freight liner for,the 5K. It is,their goof that caused you to loose it. Yea right.
So, the law pre '07 was 'go to jail if you correct the reading' post '07 'go to jail if you don't correct the reading'.

Everything with a data readout can be rest. I doubt the manufacturer "can't" do it because of what I was told by them a few years back. They were under contract by Delmar not to. So much for customer service.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #10

Check with your state DMV. They usually have a procedure for restating an odometer replacement, loss, etc. Might include a notarized document. That could be shared with any buyer and should satisfy their lender. Backup documentation always helps as suggested.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote