RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #1

Not really a mileage thread, but more of a break in thread. I know that every engine has a break in period that once it reaches that point the engine starts running better and getting better mileage. Gas engines do it faster than diesels, I've had three Duramax's and they seem to take about 14 to 15 thousand miles to loosen up and run right.
Being as these big diesels are designed for big rigs, how long do they seem to take to start running better and getting better economy?
I am really wondering because so far my mileage has been horrible... it did improve after the software upgrade but it's still pretty bad.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #2

Not really a mileage thread, but more of a break in thread. I know that every engine has a break in period that once it reaches that point the engine starts running better and getting better mileage. Gas engines do it faster than diesels, I've had three Duramax's and they seem to take about 14 to 15 thousand miles to loosen up and run right.
Being as these big diesels are designed for big rigs, how long do they seem to take to start running better and getting better economy?
I am really wondering because so far my mileage has been horrible... it did improve after the software upgrade but it's still pretty bad.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CSX4350:
I am really wondering because so far my mileage has been horrible... it did improve after the software upgrade but it's still pretty bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It takes both engine and tires about 40,000 to 50,000 before reaching peak.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:39 AM   #4

Well, just to make you feel better, maybe, I got 6.2 MPG average on my trek from the north. About a 1,500 mile journey. I have about 20k on my rig and was towing 6,000+ lbs.
And that, is not great milage.

Peter
Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #5

We have a 2006 DSDP and without a toad get 15-16 mpg...7.5 to 8.0 going and same coming back.
PairoDocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #6

After 20,000miles on an ISM it is getting noticeably smoother and smoother. Cummins will say up to 50,000 to get them really worked in. I believe it!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PairoDocs:
We have a 2006 DSDP and without a toad get 15-16 mpg... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow I think that's a misprint. If not that's better than my C4500 Chevrolet diesel pickup, unloaded.

I kind of figured that it would take lots more miles than a diesel pickup for break-in.

I guess my mileage isn't that out of line either, I was doing 6.5 going West and 7.5 back East after the upgrade. The way I drive I thought I would do better.

Thanks again

Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #8

Hi! We are averaging 6.5 MPH wih over 25,000 miles on our coach. I drive between 70 and 79 MPH on the interstate. Paul