RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #1

Oh the treasures we find in bed

Well, actually the treasures that I found were under the bed. Today has been a rainy day in Bar Harbor so I decided to attack one of my indoor projects. The DW and I both use CPAP machines and have them on the small nightstands on each side of the bed. The units are plugged into the outlets at the front to the nightstand. I donít like having the unit plugged in there because of the unsightly cables and the fact that Iím always worried that its going to get caught when closing the slide. I would like to add an outlet (AC or DC) on each side of the bed all the way up near the headboard so that the power brick and cable would be out of the way.

So I decided to remove the false bottom of the bed frame in search of what power source may be available to tap into. The first thing I found was a bundle of wires. Apparently this is a junction point for much of the wiring in the rear of the coach. In the bundle were two exposed red wires. I later found a wire nut a few feet away. After checking to see if the wires were hot, I decided to connect the wires together. Lo and behold the accent lights in the window on each side of the bed now work. I can now strike that off my upcoming 1 year factory appointment.

Well in additional to the loose wires, I also found a lot of trash (pieces of stripped wire and screws), but the best find was a pair of pliers. Yep, apparently the Newmar coaches come with tools. You just have to find the hidden treasures.

Back to my search for a power source for the CPAP machines. I did find a 120V, 20A junction box that I could tap into, but even better than that, I found another electrical outlet. If you look at where the mattress air tubes come up from under the bed at the headboard, right in the center, you will see a ~2Ē hole and right below that hole is a duplex outlet. The air mattress pump is plugged into it. The plug isnít easily accessible. It looks like you have to remove the plywood that the air mattress sits on. There are 6 screws at the head of the bed and you probably need to remove the two struts that hold the bottom of the bed storage area open. Since its not easy to access the plug, I need to purchase extra power cables so that I can leave them plugged in so I donít have to remove them when we return from home each time.

Happy hunting for your tools!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	222271

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	222272

Name:	IMG_0669.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	222273

flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Well, not in (or under) the bed, but I found a continuity test probe with clip lead in my driver's side fuse bay. Maybe Newmar has a single tool kit that they use to salt each coach with a tool.

TJ

Old 10-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Member since 2005

Winnebago Owners Club
Found a nice screwdriver stuck under a zip tie in the flywheel area of the elliptical at home last year.
WinnieView is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #4

Given all the vibrations that these coaches are subjected to on the road, I'm a bit surprised that wire nuts are being used. I'm curious if others have had issues with the use of wire nuts and whether you are replacing them with a different type of connector which can better withstand the vibrations.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #5

Back to your original problem. My coach has an outlet on the side of the bed base, so I am surprised yours does not. Unfortunately I did not find any tools, but a few screws have been added to my toolbox.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you do find wire nuts and don't want to replace them, take a moment and wrap them with electrical tape. This will keep them from vibrating off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you do find wire nuts and don't want to replace them, take a moment and wrap them with electrical tape. This will keep them from vibrating off.
Yep...after you snug them up. I have found a couple that were a bit loose.

TJ
Old 10-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #8

Is it the red wire (and white) that are coming over the wood that you found disconnected? If so, those wires should be routed under the wood, like the bundle shown. Don't want to have something happen and the wires get pinched and shorted.

I see another red wire that is disconnected at the bottom of the pic. Looks like the red wire with the yellow wire nut is connected to a brown and to the left is a red wire.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #9

Heck, the treasure I found in my bed was my DW, over 55 years ago. (and her value has gone up thru the sky!!)
NITEHAWK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Is it the red wire (and white) that are coming over the wood that you found disconnected? If so, those wires should be routed under the wood, like the bundle shown. Don't want to have something happen and the wires get pinched and shorted.

No not those wires. I was also concerned by the potential of pinching when I first say those wires, but then realized that the plywood that sits on top doesnít sit on that board but instead the blocks that are on each end of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I see another red wire that is disconnected at the bottom of the pic. Looks like the red wire with the yellow wire nut is connected to a brown and to the left is a red wire.

This was the before picture before I reattached the wire but.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just a little effort by the original installer could have resulted in a nice wiring job! Isn't it sad how they throw these coaches together?

BTW, I would still re-route the red and white wires under the crosspiece...just for the sake of neatness and professionalism.

TJ
Old 10-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #12

I guess the only add would be to ensure the plug is activated by the invertor.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #13

"Happy hunting for your tools!"

I can do better than a pair of pliers and screw driver...

After our service at the factory last March, I drove 625 miles home. Two weeks later I was up on the roof and found a Dewalt cordless drill with the name Brad on it. 625 miles, a snow storm and rain, the drill still had a good charge and worked OK. I sent a picture to the lead, Jonas and said I bet you have a guy named Brad that can't find his drill.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds as if Newmar should go to electronic tool control boxes.

NWIP is online now   Reply With Quote