RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Oh where oh where did the nice fridge go?

While discussing possible Ventana purchase I realized the beautiful whirlpool fridge with ICE in the door go. It appears that the residential fridge being put in new Newmar MH no long have ICE in the door. Still have ICE maker, just moved into freezer.
Anyway, does anyone know why?

State College, PA
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 10:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
While discussing possible Ventana purchase I realized the beautiful whirlpool fridge with ICE in the door go. It appears that the residential fridge being put in new Newmar MH no long have ICE in the door. Still have ICE maker, just moved into freezer.
Anyway, does anyone know why?
While looking at the changes, I was dismayed with this at first...until I opened it up and realized how much larger the fridge was for actual storage. Add in the fact that the ice out of the door was so limited, and the first thing that broke on mine, and I am actually looking forward to the lack of it now.

The ice in the freezer will yield much higher production, and be less apt to break, as it is the 50 year old technology (maybe not, but you get the idea) vs the new style in door ice.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #3

Last couple years even high-line Newmar's didn't have ice in door. 18 LA didn't have ice at the door.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is my understanding of the Ice In The Door mystery...
In 2016, Newmar began the HWH tile floor full wall slide. This slide has an interior height that is slightly shorter than the previous style. The Ice In The Door fridge no longer fit inside the slideout so Newmar needed to find an alternative and changed to the current "Ice inside the freezer" model.
Changing the Ventana fridge was not necessary but was likely done for consistency.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
This is my understanding of the Ice In The Door mystery...
In 2016, Newmar began the HWH tile floor full wall slide. This slide has an interior height that is slightly shorter than the previous style. The Ice In The Door fridge no longer fit inside the slideout so Newmar needed to find an alternative and changed to the current "Ice inside the freezer" model.
Changing the Ventana fridge was not necessary but was likely done for consistency.
When I replaced by refridge in the 2013, three was only 3 models that fit the hole exactly. All of them were shorter than the original. I chose the LG with ice in the door, and regretted it immediately. The amount of ice it produces is minimal, but at least it is cold.

What I was amazed by is the manufacturers spec of how much air space is to be around the residential refridge is not even close to what RV manufacturers are doing. Newmar does have a lot of room at the rear, and top, more than most rv's, but it is still not enough for optimum cooling.

I understand the engineering specs are recommendations, but if one is having a cooling problem, a solution would be to place a fan at the top rear of the refridge and have it blow towards the front. This doesn't have to be a high cfm fan, just enough to move the air out. I was able to reduce my temps by 5 degrees doing this simple fix. It is not visible, nor audible.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just replaced our Dometic in our 2008 Endeavor. It is in a slide so height is an issue.

We found a 21.4 cu ft Whirlpool model that produces lots of ice and not having ice in the door was a deal breaker for me.

It is less than a week old but ice started dropping quickly and it is amazing how cold the freezer gets. It is getting to -10 degrees and perhaps colder if I set it lower.

How in the heck we went from 12 cu ft to 21 in the same space is quite amazing.

Whirlpool WRS321SDHB

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge