Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #29

Select 55, I made a VERY GOOD living off people like you for over 30 years. Thank you for your patronage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You just have to love a good oil thread!! Nothing seems to bring out the opinions like an oil thread. Especially if you can find an agitator.

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Select 55, I made a VERY GOOD living off people like you for over 30 years. Thank you for your patronage.
like I have asked you several times now put up or shut up.;;you simply can not supply any scientific written proof and you know it;;
I have been in the engine rebuild and vehicle repair business for over 45 years and have yet to see a single engine problem or failure just because the oil never got changed in this yearly bracket you so dearly love to imagine so yes your full of bs as you never made a nickel off people like me
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
like I have asked you several times now put up or shut up.;;you simply can not supply any scientific written proof and you know it;;
I have been in the engine rebuild and vehicle repair business for over 45 years and have yet to see a single engine problem or failure just because the oil never got changed in this yearly bracket you so dearly love to imagine so yes your full of bs as you never made a nickel off people like me
Thanks again, keep up the good work. I'm going to sign off now.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Quote:

Would you be willing to send in a sample of your 4 year old oil and share the oil analysis with the group? This would be hard evidence of what is found.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #34

How much does it cost to get your oil tested?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Would you be willing to send in a sample of your 4 year old oil and share the oil analysis with the group? This would be hard evidence of what is found.
sure you pay for it and I would send it except I have one more year to go
currently so have wait till next year
but I will ask you what would you expect to find in 4 year old engine oil
that's got 4 years and 12K miles verses one year old and 12 K miles
exactly what would be your fear? based on science not your personal non scientific beliefs like most people have opined here so far
Old 12-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #36

I think we should all just go back to changing our oil whenever we think we should, whether by years, miles, or hours.

Everything being said, when I was growing up in WV one of my best friends dad NEVER changed his oil. He would buy a car, drive it for 70 or 80k miles then trade it in for another. My dad was the opposite, so I wondered about why my friends dad did what he did. One day I asked him and he said, think of how much money I save. He did have a point.

I followed my dad, but I'm not telling how often I change my oil and filters. I did put 286k on our Dodge 5.9 Cummins camper hauler before selling it to get a MH. It was running just as well then as it did when I first got it.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
...My coach is three years old.
....I do a complete service of the generator once a year too! That includes all filters.
Don, just curious, how many hours do you have on your genny? I have a little over 2000 so I'm trying to see what a 3 year old active use coach would have. I realize that if you stay in parks a lot you may not use it a lot.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I think we should all just go back to changing our oil whenever we think we should, whether by years, miles, or hours.

Everything being said, when I was growing up in WV one of my best friends dad NEVER changed his oil. He would buy a car, drive it for 70 or 80k miles then trade it in for another. My dad was the opposite, so I wondered about why my friends dad did what he did. One day I asked him and he said, think of how much money I save. He did have a point.

I followed my dad, but I'm not telling how often I change my oil and filters. I did put 286k on our Dodge 5.9 Cummins camper hauler before selling it to get a MH. It was running just as well then as it did when I first got it.

Just my 2c.

Steve
I sure as heck was not advocating that ideal one little bit.I would never go longer than the manufacturers recommended MILEAGE suggestions and I currently use about 65-70% so well inside the mileage just don't subscribe to time factor but that being said I will not go over 4 years on my ISL. Now the mustang I will go around 6 years depends if I actually drive it much or not.so far 2K in 4 years or so
Old 12-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #39
Community Moderator

Quote:
sure you pay for it and I would send it except I have one more year to go
currently so have wait till next year
but I will ask you what would you expect to find in 4 year old engine oil
that's got 4 years and 12K miles verses one year old and 12 K miles
exactly what would be your fear? based on science not your personal non scientific beliefs like most people have opined here so far

Moisture contamination is very destructive.

Read this article.

http://www.azic.com/moisture-in-oils...e-headedbeast/

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1482886543.912706.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	147605
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
How much does it cost to get your oil tested?
I ordered a 10-pack of their "Advanced Engine PLUS" test kits from Polaris Labs. Here is a link: Polaris Testing Kits

The following was copied from my invoice...

--------------------------------
Order Details
Item : Advanced Engine PLUS-10PACK
SKU : OLAMP_PLUS
Quantity : 1
Item Price : $237.40
Item Total : $237.40

Sub-Total : $237.40
Shipping Method : UPS Ground
Shipping Amount : $23.05
Estimated Tax : $0.00

Total : $260.45

This following is what they check for:

Advanced Engine PLUS

Includes the testing required for our analysts to detect equipment wear (including ferrous density), lubricant contamination and lubricant life.

Best For: Diesel, Gasoline or CNG Engines

(10) 3oz (90ml) Sample Jars and Information Labels
(10) Return Mailers (postage not included)
(10) Prepaid test packages, including the following testing:
Elemental Metals Analysis (24 by ICP)
Oxidation
Water by Crackle (estimate)
Nitration
Viscosity @ 40° or 100°C
Base Number or Acid Number
Fuel Dilution % (Diesel/ Gasoline Only)
Particle Quantifier (Ferrous Density)
Fuel Soot % (Diesel / Gasoline Only)

I have not yet tested my 1st ISX oil change but will within the next couple of weeks when I change it for the first time. The CHASSIS completion date was in Sept of 2015 and now has just under 6,000 miles on it. I purchased it this past August.

I went with Polaris Labs as when I called Cummins Filtration to find out about their test program, after pushing the different telephone digits (1 for English, 2 for blah blah blah, etc) I was transferred to Polaris Labs. I did test my old 1997 Cummins c8.3 and decided I will test this ISX every six months as figure it is worthwhile hoping IF a problem develops, it can be detected before a failure and before the five year warranty expires. I also purchased the new Fleetguard NanoNet filters and will use them. Doing all I can think of to protect my engine.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #41

Select55 In one of your earlier posts you state something as fact backing up your opinion that very extended oil change cycles never have harmed an engine. Where is the back up for your "fact".

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
Select55 In one of your earlier posts you state something as fact backing up your opinion that very extended oil change cycles never have harmed an engine. Where is the back up for your "fact".

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
without reading all my posts verbatim I believe what I suggested was there are no facts that it does cause engine failure/damage(or could cause) and also to note the extended oil change I use is TIME based only not mileage .I follow recommended mileage just don't subscribe to the one year no matter what theory
so I ask where is the irrefutable evidence showing iam wrong in my ideals
one fellow here claims he has books full but I see nothing presented yet

Tags
engine