Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Oil change warranty ?

Hi , does the Cummings 12 month oil change interval start at delivery for a new coach or start at manufacture date. ? Example : manufacture date of new 2018 Newmar RV nov 2017 . Delivery date to purchaser dec 2018 . . Only 1400 miles on coach . Oil change due dec 2019 or past due at delivery? Warranty concern ?? Thanks Dean
Dean757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #2

My new Chevy truck came with 2 oil changes from the dealership. At 10 months old from build date and 4 months owned with 4k miles and 50% on the oil monitor, I took it to a local dealer and requested an oil change. They said no problem and changed the oil. I still prefer 6 months or 5k miles for my oil change, old habits are hard to change, but I've had worse habits.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean757 View Post
Hi , does the Cummings 12 month oil change interval start at delivery for a new coach or start at manufacture date. ? Example : manufacture date of new 2018 Newmar RV nov 2017 . Delivery date to purchaser dec 2018 . . Only 1400 miles on coach . Oil change due dec 2019 or past due at delivery? Warranty concern ?? Thanks Dean
According to the instructor at Camp Freightliner the 1-year maintenance requirements for the chassis is due one year from the date of the chassis manufacturer not the date of motorhome delivery. There is also a requirement (depending on the type of antifreeze) to check SCA level of the antifreeze every 6 months.

The entire maintenance on your chassis is overdue when you bought the coach unless the dealer performed the maintenance.

Yes, I would have concern on the warranty and would talk with the dealer and Freightliner before taking delivery.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #4

Service and warranty from delivery date

Hi , my previous coach had cat engine , the caterpillar dealer and service facility said many times they deliver cat equipment that has been on lots for extended time periods and they start the warranty and service interval at time of delivery . it was suggested to replace fuel filters now and first oil change at 5000 miles .
Old 12-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
My new Chevy truck came with 2 oil changes from the dealership. At 10 months old from build date and 4 months owned with 4k miles and 50% on the oil monitor, I took it to a local dealer and requested an oil change. They said no problem and changed the oil. I still prefer 6 months or 5k miles for my oil change, old habits are hard to change, but I've had worse habits.
My chevy truck also came with 2 free Oil changes which (like you) I follow with a 6 month ritual, but I have to say the cost of the oil change is about $39 which is a huge difference to the cost of my MH service, so on my MH I go annually which in my opinion when you consider the duty factor of these rigs is somewhat excessive.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dean.....If you look at the service intervals, Freightliner calls for a complete service at 6 months. They want things changed hub oil, differential oil, fan drive oil, fuel filters and engine oil. I did some of these on my last DS. I didn't do the hubs, differential or power steering change. Actually, my local Freightliner shop laughed at me when I started talking about buying those fluids.

I'm guessing they want all that changed to clean out metal shavings from the new parts.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Dean.....If you look at the service intervals, Freightliner calls for a complete service at 6 months. They want things changed hub oil, differential oil, fan drive oil, fuel filters and engine oil. I did some of these on my last DS. I didn't do the hubs, differential or power steering change. Actually, my local Freightliner shop laughed at me when I started talking about buying those fluids.

I'm guessing they want all that changed to clean out metal shavings from the new parts.
For all of the owners that bought Freightliner’s that were over 6 months old at delivery , did any have problems with warranty . Do most dealers do the service on units that were 6 months old on their lots ? Warranty cards are mailed in at delivery time .
Old 12-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Should be date put in service.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Engine oil is not in the 6 month service. I can understand about Freightliner local people laughing.

Took my coach in at 6 months from delivery date and had the 6 month and 1 year service done which included the oil change. They also found tag alignment was out and gave me a complete alignment at no charge. After that every year and have the appropriate service completed. Very happy dealing with Gaffney and the prices are reasonable.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Date in service is correct. In addition to oil and filter change here are a few additional items that you should be aware of:
  • Change fuel filters (both pressure and suction side).
    Change oil-filled hubs oil.
    Change axle lubricant (If you replace with synthetic oil you can then go to every 36 months).
    Onan generator needs initial oil and filter change at 20 to 50 hours. Then 150 hours or 12 months which ever comes first.
    Onan spark arrestor needs to be cleaned.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For warranty work...they simply put your VIN number in the computer. It will show the "build date" and "in service date". They don't care a thing about your oil change history, unless the failure they are repairing could have been attributed to poor preventive maintenance. Not a common scenario, I think.

I have had a water in fuel, and fuel injector problem addressed. Nobody asked to see my oil change records.

They were VERY quick to point to their extremly high labor rate...and tell me that if the problem was due to a road hazard...such as road debris kicking up and causing damage, the warranty would not cover it. Everything would be out of my pocket. Welcome to Freightliner Oasis Service
Old 12-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"ptw"....You might want to look again....it is in the 6month/6000 mile maintenance.

Look under the 6000 mile maintenance in the link below.....per Freightliner.

https://dtnacontent-dtna.prd.freight...R=#v00.mmgrp00
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Freightliner doesn't require an oil change at six months, or any other interval for that matter, since that is a Cummins issue (Freightliner doesn't even have a MOP number listed for it). The form says "Change _____ Engine Oil and Filter (see the engine manufacturer's manual)". Cummins first requirement based on time is twelve months.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to change at six months, I did it, but it is not required.

There are a couple other discrepancies between the 6 Month Initial Maintenance: 00-03 form and the Vehicle Maintenance Schedule Table: 00-02 that Dutch Star Don posted a link to.

For example MOP 33-06 Oil-Filled Hubs Oil Changing is not required until 12 months/15,000 miles. MOP 35-02 Axle Lubricant Changing is not initially due until 12 months/100,000 miles.

Again I had both of them done at six months just to be on the safe side.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
My chevy truck also came with 2 free Oil changes which (like you) I follow with a 6 month ritual, but I have to say the cost of the oil change is about $39 which is a huge difference to the cost of my MH service, so on my MH I go annually which in my opinion when you consider the duty factor of these rigs is somewhat excessive.

I purposely left out the word FREE, cause I'm sure the oil change cost was buried in the new truck purchase price from the manufacture.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, warranty