Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Okay to put FWS partially out on DSDP?

We are considering the DSDP 4018 and concerned about how tight things are when the slide are in. We have 4 dogs and it is a bit of an event when we stop to walk them. Our current coach has more walkable space with the slides in.

When we stop to walk the dogs could we put the FWS out partially (say half way) to give us more space to deal with the dogs? We would not want to put the jacks down. I am thinking giving ourselves a bit extra room would make things much easier. However, I don't know if doing this would cause issues with the slide, or if there are other things about this approach I may not be considering.

Thoughts?
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #2

How I understand this is that the slides should not be put out partially. Don't know how big your dogs are may be a little tight with 4 big dogs. Hope that helps
Kevin
2016 Dutch Star 4018
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It is ok to extend the FWS all the way even if you don't use your levels at least for the extend of time you're taking about.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
where are you parking?

If you're at a regular interstate highway rest stop, you'll be in the spaces made for semis and there won't be room to put slides out even a little. Since the full wall slide is supposed to be put out when you're still aired up and not on the levelers, it shouldn't be a problem to do it if you've got enough room. I think even large dogs could squeeze through the space you'll have without opening the slides, though, so I doubt you'll end up feeling its really necessary.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Extend over a island not parking space so someone doesn't plow into you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
How I understand this is that the slides should not be put out partially. Don't know how big your dogs are may be a little tight with 4 big dogs. Hope that helps
Kevin
2016 Dutch Star 4018
Why shouldn't slides be put out partially for a short period?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
You should have a HWH slide system on your coach FWS. I would first check the literature but I don't see any reason why you can not open the slide partway.

Your slides align based on hydraulic controlls so your slides operate different from the mechanical systems the rest of us have. If in doubt, call HWH.

BTW just to confuse you more, if you look at the HWH recommended slide deployment for their systems they recommend you extend and retract on jacks . OK that should shack the hornets nest

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
You should have a HWH slide system on your coach FWS. I would first check the literature but I don't see any reason why you can not open the slide partway.

Your slides align based on hydraulic controlls so your slides operate different from the mechanical systems the rest of us have. If in doubt, call HWH.

BTW just to confuse you more, if you look at the HWH recommended slide deployment for their systems they recommend you extend and retract on jacks . OK that should shack the hornets nest

Mark and Louene Hetrick
What about Newmars mechanical slides?
Old 10-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I partially opened our FWS to allow my wife to load the refrigerator and do other chores more easily. The coach was on our concrete pad at home so I decides to leave the FWS extended for a week or so. BAD idea. A small bird decided to determine if the coach was suitable for a new nest!! Had bird dropping all over the interior of the coach and I couldn't catch the damn thing. Eventually the critter left, I think!!? Haven't found its remains and no lingering odor so it must have flown out. Only time will tell.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With slide partially open can get birds as we now see and if thunder rolls going to get wet also ,seals are not sealed unless fully opened or closed, this can be for any coach with slide.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Why not put out the kitchen slide? its shorter in length and width. Or a I missing something?
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Why not put out the kitchen slide? its shorter in length and width. Or a I missing something?
I thought to use the FWS for this because I have read it has a more robust hydraulic leveling system. My thinking was if the slide is only going to be out part way for a short period of time it would be better to stick with the stronger slide mechanism.

Of course my DW from time-to-time reminds me "my thinking" is not always that good.
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

Times two on the kitchen slide, I wouldn't worry too much about the reliability, it's still a much lighter slide.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #14
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Kend51, on the mechanical slides, I have opened my partial wall slides before and based on the mechanism I don't think it does any harm. This is assuming that the coach is relatively square, plumb and level. The mechanical FWS has a system to keep itself in sync that I haven't fully studied yet. What I have been "told" is that the slide sync's at full extension/retraction. Since I don't have anything that disputes this I make sure I fully extend/retract the FWS.

The Hydraulic system has sensors at each end on travel so a partial retraction SHOULD be OK. HWH data should be followed to make sure.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote