Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Older Monaco slide rot, how about Newmar?

After looking at a 2004 Windsor recently, I found several soft spots in and around the slides. I was shocked to see visible exposed wood (luan?) on the slide itself, even if it was only about 2" x 6", it seems like a bad idea for an area that would see rain exposure. I figured Monaco would at least cover any wood with fiberglass, but apparently not (see photo). I read that many Monaco's have slide rot due to a trim piece at the bottom.

Thinking maybe I should switch my search to Mountain Aire and London Aire's from about 2000-2005, if they are less prone to rot? The likelyhood of finding a 15 year old DP, that checks all my boxes, and that has been kept out of the weather and re-caulked correctly and often, seems rare to me, especially close to home in MN. I am sure this particular DP had seen a few winters exposed with snow melt on the roof. Granted it would be much easier to find a 'dry one' if I were in a better location. I think I will ask sellers for corner pictures like the one posted, for all slides to weed out a few. I wonder how many at a place like PPL would have rot from this era, 3 out of 4 perhaps?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2186.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	203989  

MarkMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Older Monaco slide rot, how about Newmar?

Canít tell you how far back this goes in model years, the reason I love Newmar s design is the fiberglass skin is glued directly to the aluminum studs, no wood inbetween

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar slides recess into a wall cavity with rubber seals all around the slide and recess, when slide closes the seals are crushed and if you use the locks on slides provide they pull slide in tight in wall cavity so no air or water when driving can enter the coach.
Other MFG's only close slide to outside wall with overlap to coach side wall if its not locked and tight air and water will works its way under the overlap and enter coach and drip down to floor wetting floor under rug.
Floors can root with the slides out also if there is not a bead of sealant not blocking the water in rain from traveling alone the bottom of slide into the coach, you lift bottom of rubber seal for slide and you will see the sealant if it looks dried out you add some more so water deflects off bottom of slide to ground.
If your going to look for Newmar use this link and TSB link which instruction will tell you how to find info you need.
Many old Newmars are on the road and SPK64 in QT'S #3 will give you good information on repairs and mod's he has done to his 2002 MADP.
All the links below in my signature will have info for what ever coach you may get. ---Many Newmar's for sale in our classifieds.
Good luck in your quest..
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #4

On my 97LADB I was under the slide looking at the lower part and there is a portion of the slideout that is below the "wall" that was fabricated above the flooring - I'd say maybe 8". That 8" was backed with plywood and it is exposed and not sealed. And unfortunately it is rotten. It is on my list of things to look at and see if I can rectify this somehow. But yes, Newmar was no different, at least in '97. Hopefully they figured a way around that little bit of wood in the newer models. Yes, this portion is sealed inside the coach when the slide is retracted but what about when the slide is extended for months at a time?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
RKins if your talking about the portion under slide in that picture maybe a good rubber sealant paint or even thin fiberglass glued on the inside of that drop might help in reducing the exposure to weather.
I think I had that drop on my 98-99 coach's which were fine at the time I had them fairly new.
If its getting wet with slide out from slide wall run off as I said in my previous post the bead of sealant needs build up so water can not get inside and drop off slide to ground instead.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

Thanks, its good to hear detail on how Newmar constructs their slides and seals. I want to look at a 2005 Mountain Aire nearby and see for myself. It seems that Newmar does use wood in all their walls/floors/roofs from this era, at least according to the attached shot from the 2005 MA brochure. I know with ski boats many manufactures quit using wood for stringers and floors in the mid 90's. The RV industry has still not followed that good example sadly. I suspect Country Coach and Foretravel are the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newmar1.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	204158  
MarkMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is how side walls are built now all fiber board glued to aluminum studding 16" on center.
Floor still built as your picture shows. You can get more construction info on the Newmar Corp links I have provided.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
RKins if your talking about the portion under slide in that picture maybe a good rubber sealant paint or even thin fiberglass glued on the inside of that drop might help in reducing the exposure to weather.
I think I had that drop on my 98-99 coach's which were fine at the time I had them fairly new.
If its getting wet with slide out from slide wall run off as I said in my previous post the bead of sealant needs build up so water can not get inside and drop off slide to ground instead.
I think I need to figure out how this wood is applied to the lower portion and see if I can replace it and then seal it up.
I would like to see pics of the same area in new Newmars to see how they are manuf now.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4208298]This is how side walls [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newmar-hung-wall-75885-4.html#post1531985
are built now[/URL][/B] all fiber board glued to aluminum studding 16" on center.
Floor still built as your picture shows. You can get more construction info on the Newmar Corp links I have provided.
Unless someone can show me a picture of a cutout in the wall that doesn't show any wood, I believe the walls are 1/8" plywood covered with a layer of fiberglass on each side. I've seen the cutouts in my wall and that is how my 2017 BSS is built.

Name:	20180323_113956.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	204245

mgtibb is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, slide, newmar