Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #57

Pull the screw or bolt and if it holds air be drive on driver,, check frequently to get started the every gas stop....If it gives out plug it yourself...Use mushroom plug if poss....Good luck..Not in hurry have it patched on the inside or better still replace...
Stick405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #58

I agree with your thinking
Starchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #59

Toto tires

I switched to Toyo tires and never looked back Excellent brand
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:03 PM   #60

Toyo is a good tire ! I’ve been running them for 7 years on my DP class A and they are guiet and track good and no wear problems ! I replaced Michelin’s ! Buy the one you can get for the best price !
Leith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
What if he picks up another lag bolt in the next 100 miles, it can happen! At the price he was quoted ($900 for 1 tire) he needs time to shop around for a better price before buying 8 new tires.
this $800-to $900 per tire discussion is dizzying......I pay that kind of money for a full set of michelins on my sierra
Old 09-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #62

I got a set of Sumitomo tires many tens of thousands of miles and years ago. Much cheaper than Micheline’s and I can’t tell the difference from my Michelin’s. Very happy with them. Still no crazing or cracking at all. When I do replace, I will get the same.
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhilbe View Post
So...here is what happened. I took the RV over to the tire shop this morning. The guy "unscrewed" the lagbolt from the tire - no air leakage (he did a soap test). The lagbolt was about one inch long. He felt I could drive on the tire. So we took off - did about 250 miles. I watched the TPMS very closely - the tire appeared to hold air - it increased pressure/temp as I drove - matching the other tires as their pressure/temp changed. Obviously I will watch it very closely and most likely accelerate the purchase of my new tires.

Does anyone carry a spare? This experience spooked me a little and I'm thinking it might be good to have a spare. Only problem - where to put it - I haven't done any measuring yet - will a spare fit in the basement? That's a lot of space to use for a spare.....but this experience really made me nervous.

Again, thank you for all the advice.

Dave

PS - here is a photo of the lagbolt in the tire - https://davehilbepictures.shutterfly...ilyphotos/4940
We carry a spare tire in the back of our ram 1500 (toad). The reason you ask? Our tire size 295/80r 22.5 which is not kept in stock in many areas. This way we are not stranded or forced to pay overinflated price. An rv with same tires was recently stranded for 3 days while a replacement tire was rushed to them here in Albuquerque.
craighouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #64

Hit_the_Rhod
I have the same set up as you.. and for the same reasons. My tires are 19.5/245s and they are not commonly available. At 72, I'm sure I could change the tire myself, but it would not be my first choice. However, two past experiences showed me that you need a fall back plan when the magic cell phone doesn't get the job done. I had spares both times and back on the road in an hour. I cannot bring myself to travel without a spare. It goes against all my instincts from growing up in the Montana mountains.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #65

I used to install tires at a tire store and i carry a mounted 22.5” spare in my front thru compartment. I also carry a motorcycle jack to move the tires and 4 ft 3/4” torque wrench. My HWH jacks will lift the coach wheels off the ground. Im sure I could change a flat tire in less than an hour. I just like to be self sufficient if possible. I mounted all the tires on rims and installed on my driveway and during initial air up i was 25 ft away. Also centronic automatic balancers work great. Ride is super smooth.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #66

I carry one mounted on a steel wheel.
Bill &Gail & 2 fury kids
Bill Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #67

Wow, I guess a lot of people skip much of the thread! "banging head"
I am sure the OP has given up by now. Since the bolt was short, caused no leak when removed (by the tire shop) and he will keep an eye on it, I am sure he is continuing to enjoy his trip!
However, the one thing that has me befuddled is "$900" for 1 Michelin? Me thinks he avoided "highway robbery"! Never mind the fact that they are no longer what they have been "cracked" up to be! They aren't even worth the $500 I was quoted!
I so love my $350 Hankook AH37's! Plus they ride better!
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:52 AM   #68

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with post #2.
With no leak remove and recheck for a leak.
22.5s are quite tuff with their layers of steel belts.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:27 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDr View Post
If you patch, don't drive too far on the patched tire. I wouldn't patch it my self, I would replace with the same brand as the other 5 tires. MHs don't have spares any more?

Most motor homes have not come standard with spare tires since at least 2000.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #70

I don’t really understand why you are recommending anything other than replacing the tire before you go any further. The tire is ruined and an is an immediate life threatening danger to him and everyone else on the road!
Jimwelch1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, problem