Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #1

On the road - tire problem - need advice

Need some advice. We're on the road - about 40 miles east of Columbus OH - staying at a KOA. Got ready to leave this morning and I see what appears to be a lagbolt stuck in driver-side outside drive tire. It is right on the edge of the tread side - not in the sidewall...but very close. The tire is holding air pressure - checked my TPMS monitor and did a soapy water test - no air leakage. There is a TA Travel location nearby - took some pictures over to them - they will not repair a puncture within a 1/2" of the sidewall. They also said they cannot get 305/70 r22.5 sized tires. I called around - but being Labor Day - almost all tire shops are closed. The folks at the KOA gave me contact info for a local truck tire center - he opens tomorrow and I will discuss with him. Maybe he can patch or plug it. Or maybe he might have access to a 305/70 r22.5 tire - this is a very difficult sized tire to find in stock. I was going to replace all 8 tires early next year using the FMCA Michelin discount tire program - so I hate the idea of purchasing one tire now - especially if it isn't a Michelin. I did get a hold of motorhometires.com and they can ship the Micheline tire in 2 - 4 days at $900/ea - ouch. Here is what I'm thinking:

1. Hope the guy I see tomorrow can patch/plug the tire.
2. Maybe he can get the Michelin XRV tires at a better price (rather than $900/each) - I would purchase two - replace the two steer tires - move one of the steer tires to replace the damaged tire.
3. Buy one Toyo 305/70 r22.5 from motorhome.com (didn't get the price - but he said much lower that the XRV tires) - replace the damaged tire and keep the Toyo as a spare when I eventually replace all tires with XRV's.

I think I'm stuck here in Buckeye KOA for a few days trying to figure this out and potentially waiting for a tire to be shipped.

Thanks for any advice in advance. Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #2

I wonder since it passed the soapy water test if the bolt has went all the way thru? It might not be long enough to do any structural damage to tire. I have pulled screws out of car tires and ran tire thru its lifespan with out any problems. If you feel lucky try removing it. No leak your ok, lots of air escaping big trouble. Good luck with what ever you decide.
rte154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #3

How far do you have to drive to your destination? I had a similar situation of a nail in the side wall on my fifth wheel with a slow leak and I was able to drive 300 miles to my destination where I had time to get the tire replaced. I did stop and add air twice. As long as you have TPMS, you can monitor the air loss.
Is the lag bolt head worn down like it has been in there for alot of miles, or still fresh looking?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
On the road - tire problem - need advice

Had a similar problem on my DSDP when it was only three months old. Took a spike on the inside of a tag tire. It was sorta holding air - losing 15 lbs per day, so I drove to nearest TRUCK Michelin Dealer in San Antonio and bought one XRV tire which they had in stock. Without me even asking, they asked if I was FMCA. I said yes and they handled all the paperwork. I was in and out in less than an hour. $817. This was about 18 months ago.

Columbus should have a large Michelin dealer who can handle this for you. I would not use TA. Good luck.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #5

Don't remove the screw unless you have a plug kit ready to use and a air compressor handy. Even a plug in a side wall will get you 50 miles down the road before it starts leaking and needs to be replaced. BTDT also.
When you do get all your tires replaced, keep the best old tire as a unmounted spare to carry with you.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #6

No bubbles, pull the bolt out. Drive to a tire shop for them to check it out.

May be fine for your trip home.

If you drive with it in there, it may push further in and cause a leak.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #7

If you are close to replacing the tires go ahead and replace it now or at least replace both front tires at the same time, better safe then sorry just my two cents

Zzotte
Old 09-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
That lag bolt could have been in there for hundreds of miles already. You kinda make it sound like the Toyo is a less quality throw away quality tire some. Personally if you have to buy one Toyo just buy all Toyo’s and skip the Michelins many are doing that and have no regrets. Good luck in the rest of your travels.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #9

Thanks for the thoughts/ideas. I'm halfway through a 3000 mile trip - so I feel I need to get this addressed. I think I drove at least one day with the lagbolt - as I heard a "tick tick tick" sound when I drove a few miles with the driver window open. I do want to take the bolt out and see if it even fully punctured all the way through - but want to do that at the tire center so they can put a plug in should air leak out. I may also call all the Michelin truck tire locations in the Columbus area - see if they have the XRV tires in stock. My drama continues
Old 09-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #10

Just check first as some tire shops will refuse to put a plug in a tire sidewall anyway. Once you pull the bolt out, you are committed and it's a 50/50 chance to leak. I would have a replacement tire located (not bought) before you actually remove the lag bolt.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Since you are in the middle of an extended trip, and since you are considering replacing all the tires in the relatively near future, it would seem to me a perfect time to do the full tire replacement. Even if you have to delay in place long enough for the new tires to be shipped to a nearby dealer, the peace-of-mind you'll have with new tires would be worth it for me.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Since you are in the middle of an extended trip, and since you are considering replacing all the tires in the relatively near future, it would seem to me a perfect time to do the full tire replacement. Even if you have to delay in place long enough for the new tires to be shipped to a nearby dealer, the peace-of-mind you'll have with new tires would be worth it for me.

TJ

What if he picks up another lag bolt in the next 100 miles, it can happen! At the price he was quoted ($900 for 1 tire) he needs time to shop around for a better price before buying 8 new tires.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:15 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Well, Grindstone, since he's in the middle of a 3000-mile trip, he doesn't have the luxury of an extended price search. So what are his other options? Having the damaged tire plugged and hope for the best? Bad option in my way of thinking. Or, buying a single tire...probably a mismatched brand...and using it for a year, then buying new tires...after an extended price search? Heck the price of tires may well go up in a year.

The chance of picking up another lag bolt in the next 100 miles is really slim to none. Sure, it could happen...and, in the brand-new replacement tire as well. The odds on that happening, however, are probably considerably less than having his new tire struck by lightning.

YMMV.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #14

Most tire shops won't plug a tire with a hole that close to the sidewall. I'm with the go to the tire shop that has any tire that will fit and take the bolt out. At least then if you have an issue you have a tire to replace the one that has the hole in it. I don't think running an unmatched set of tires 1500 miles is going to hurt anything, especially since you plan on replacing the tires anyway. Your coach, your money, your choice.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, problem