Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmwalden View Post
.... Just wondering about how they handled it. Did the towing folks seen to know what they were doing once on location? How about unhooking the drive axle ... was that a big deal?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadweary View Post
Since we're asking questions, I'd like you hear how your experience with Coach Net goes. I'm looking for a roadside policy and can't decide...Gary
I've had CoachNet since I bought our coach, and I'm unequivocally pleased with them. I would recommend them without hesitation. I purchased the Premier level, so there are no limitations, either per event or cumulative, and so far it has paid for itself about 8 times over. All the roadside assistance coverages I checked through insurance policies had limitations-- two flat tires p/a, two tows p/a.... that sort of thing, which is essentially the same as saying 'we'll cover you until your luck runs out or we start to lose a lot of money on you'.

I've had to call twice (both on Sunday afternoons, of course), once including a 40 mile tow, and their service was absolutely outstanding. The folks on the phone had all our info right in front of them right away, knew what they were talking about, and got the ball rolling promptly- in exactly the way I was prepared to argue for but didn't have to. Their follow up was thoroughly professional and timely. When she said she'd call me back in 20 minutes, she did. When she said the tow driver would call me in 30 minutes to advise of his ETA, he did, and 15 minutes later she called again to be sure that he had called.

The tow driver was professional, polite, and competent. He went right about his business, including drive-train disconnect, and nothing seemed to pose a problem. It took about 30 minutes in all to be ready to tow, and then we followed him in the toad. Then, shortly after we were set up at the repair facility to wait the night, The young woman from CoachNet called us again, to verify that all had been handled to our satisfaction, and to see if we needed any further assistance.

Aside from tipping, neither of these service calls cost me a nickel. On my first call a small repair was performed onsite, which took about 45 minutes in toto and for which I was charged $80. Its important to remember that your Roadside Assistance pays for the service call, not for the repairs.

As stated above, I'm very pleased with them, and I would recommend them in half a heartbeat.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmwalden View Post
jillie,

Sorry to hear of your troubles but glad it is fixed now. I did have a question on the towing.

I dread the day I ever have to make that call to Coach-Net but know it will most likely happen sooner or later. Just wondering about how they handled it. Did the towing folks seen to know what they were doing once on location? How about unhooking the drive axle ... was that a big deal?

Just some of the many question that come to mind.

Steven
The woman I talked to seemed to be reading a script that she couldn't deviate from. It was frustrating. We ended by calling a tow company that was known by the local Freightliner shop but which did not accept CoachNet. Our RV insurance will cover the cost of the tow. We WILL try CoachNet again if we ever have another roadside emergency.

The tow truck driver had no trouble disconnecting the drive train. He had two issues to overcome. One, to find the best place to lift the coach in the front. Two, to move the passenger-side mirror closer to the coach; the bolt holding the mirror on came all the way out and gave him some trouble getting it back together.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
We contacted Freightliner directly and were told that the thermostat repair will be covered by Cummins under warranty. The repair shop is asking us to pay a $100 deductible on the repair. Freightliner also asked the repair shop to check the clutch fan assembly for problems. They didn't find any problem but replaced the temperature sensor that they said was acting up. We are hoping that everything is now fixed and will give us no more problems. :-)
Old 08-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Wondering about the diagnosis of thermostat causing overheating? I thought thermostats were designed to fail open, not closed? Or are you speaking of another thermostat, like maybe for the engine cooling fan?

Inquiring minds want to know.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One of those days?

Man...go figure.

This morning as I was driving to work I saw a MH going the other way on a flat bed. Then, on the way home from work was another one on the side of the road with traffic cones out.

They say these things run in 3s.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ronspradley,
All I remember is when a thermostat fails it can fail in any position. It depends on the failure. The thermostat is normally closed. If it fails in that position, an over heating condition will result.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #21

make sure the air is going the right way if its not blowing air out the back its wrong

sad part is then blowing air out the back to get more MPG it sucks trash from under the RV at red light

this trash gets in to the system and slows the air flow this can happen only in 1 year giving where you live

if some one worked on it befor and install the fan on wrong it would get hot in the low miles you are talking
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie
We contacted Freightliner directly and were told that the thermostat repair will be covered by Cummins under warranty. The repair shop is asking us to pay a $100 deductible on the repair. Freightliner also asked the repair shop to check the clutch fan assembly for problems. They didn't find any problem but replaced the temperature sensor that they said was acting up. We are hoping that everything is now fixed and will give us no more problems. :-)
Hi Jillie,

Was the work performed at Hagerstown Freightliner?

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
make sure the air is going the right way if its not blowing air out the back its wrong

sad part is then blowing air out the back to get more MPG it sucks trash from under the RV at red light

this trash gets in to the system and slows the air flow this can happen only in 1 year giving where you live

if some one worked on it befor and install the fan on wrong it would get hot in the low miles you are talking
If you turn a fan around, it still blows the same direction, albeit less efficiently. You have to reverse the rotation to blow the opposite direction.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

If you turn a fan around, it still blows the same direction, albeit less efficiently. You have to reverse the rotation to blow the opposite direction.
Deep thoughts....
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post

Deep thoughts....
Engineer curse...LOL
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote