Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #1

Onan 8000 smells too much...Help

I noticed the other day that our Onan 8000 generator on our 2009 All Star smells more than what I think is normal and I noticed some black soot on side of coach....Also the exhaust pipe has a lot of black soot in it.
To note all filters where just changed including air filter and oil etc.

Currently I do not see any visible smoke and I am not sure if I smelled anything before but it seams too much smell and soot.
I would think that it is not getting enough air to be doing this and if the correct filter was sold to me or for some reason I installed it wrong but that seams pretty straight foreword.

Think I will try running it without the filter this morning setting in the drive and see if the smell is reduced for starters..

Any thoughts that may help me..
Thanks Jay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a John Deere tractor that would smoke more when I put Flying J fuel in it compared to the diesel from the local Marathon station. You wouldn't notice a difference with the coach because of the pollution control equipment. Have you changed where you buy fuel?

Running the generator unloaded for long periods can also cause problems.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #3

If you buy the filters from a Cummins dealer (anyone that services Cummins anything), you should be fine.
As you mentioned, you weren't paying attention to the smell before, so maybe PTW is on to something.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #4

Reading a thread and the post from this question I have it is normal to have soot and I would think the smell with this 09 Onan 8000 generator.

Tags
onan, smell