Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

Onan gas Generator 5500 ????

Hi all: I am just getting thru all the 2013 Bay Star RV before we start really using it almost weekly. The generator starts a bit slow and wondered if it was just lack of use or the way I am starting it? I usually hold the "stop" button down for a few seconds (5-10) before pressing the "start" button, is this wrong or should I hold the "stop" button a bit longer ( maybe a 30 seconds or a full minute)?? I went to start it today (66 degrees) and after holding stop for 5 seconds I pressed start and after 20 seconds I released the button. I retried the same procedure; pressing stop first and then start, and after about 20 seconds it stared up and ran fine. I ran it for an hour with 2 air conditioners on and the refrig. turned on with no problem. I have had a propane generator before and that just seems different.
I also want to mention that this generator only has 17.5 hours on it and it was just serviced last May (it was traded in a month after the service was performed which leads me to the next question; should I change the oil anyway and if yes should I also change the oil filter?? I wondered about the plugs but this seems like very few hours given the RV's age (3 years now)?? Thanks to all for your continued support and advice. Thank You, Daryl.
Daryl molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Daryl molly,

You can find the starting procedure in the Onan Operator's Manual, or if you don't have it do the following:
1. The Generator will start easier if Large Electrical Drawing appliances are off like the Air Conditioner, Microwave, Electric Skillets, Electric Hot Water Heaters, Curling Irons and Hair Blowers.
2. If you're starting the Generator for the first time of a day, at the Start Button, push the Prime Button down for the count of about 10, and then push START for about the count of 10.
3. If it doesn't start, hold the Prime down for about 30 seconds, then the Start for the count of 10.
4. You may have to prime again, but the Generator will usually start after two or three priming cycles. The indicator light will blink while trying to start and once running the indicator light will glow constant.

You should be fine with the current oil and filter. They should always be changed at the same time. Get the coach on an annual maintenance schedule. Do the generator servicing at that time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:54 AM   #3

Hi Gary: I am old about maintaince on RV and Gen., that is why I ask about the oil/filter. Yearly! I have the coach already done for summer use. Thanks for the Start advice and I will try that. Sounds like I just need to adjust my procedure a little to accommodate for the gas generator. Thanks again, Daryl.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your starting procedure is correct. Sounds like your gen hardly gets used! When it has sat for a bit, I usually hold the stop button a little longer. As far as maintenance , just change the oil and make sure you exercise it once a month. The more you use it the better it will run.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my start button for the Onan 5500 I press the bottom of the switch until the light in the switch comes on. That tells me it is primed.

Then I press the top of the switch to start it. If I don't follow that procedure it takes a while to start.

As far as turning off all the appliances...that has no effect on how long it takes to start. You'll notice the generator will start and run about 30 seconds before it applies the load to it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:55 AM   #6

Yes, the switch to put load on Generator takes a bit. I am going to try your suggestions, Thanks!
Old 03-30-2016, 04:57 AM   #7

Mojoracing: We do not use the generator much, just not much need. Even when we dry camp, only run it once a day for an hour. I am running it once a month and will try your suggestions, Thanks!
Old 04-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

Hi GaryKD: I followed your start instruction and it worked perfectly fine. It always started but I was really not priming enough. I only run it once a month during spring, fall, & winter. thanks again! Daryl

Tags
gas, generator, onan