RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2006, 05:53 AM   #1

I like to do my own service and TRIED to drain the oil on my virgin 7500 gen...some gorilla at Onan probably put the drain plug in with an air wrench PLUS used thread sealer!! I could NOT remove the plug, which seems like its made of pot metal..actually broke a tool attempting to do so..rolled it over to my local shop where a seasoned mechanic got it off...He replaced that plug with a radiator drain pitcock valve...same size threads as the oil plug...now I won't have to worry about wrestling with that original plug...only downside I can see is slower draining, but 3 qts is no biggie..dont think I would want to tie up a day to drain the coach engine!

footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2006, 05:53 AM   #2

I like to do my own service and TRIED to drain the oil on my virgin 7500 gen...some gorilla at Onan probably put the drain plug in with an air wrench PLUS used thread sealer!! I could NOT remove the plug, which seems like its made of pot metal..actually broke a tool attempting to do so..rolled it over to my local shop where a seasoned mechanic got it off...He replaced that plug with a radiator drain pitcock valve...same size threads as the oil plug...now I won't have to worry about wrestling with that original plug...only downside I can see is slower draining, but 3 qts is no biggie..dont think I would want to tie up a day to drain the coach engine!

footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #3

Next oil change on the 7500 QD you night want to clean out the spark arrestor. You need a long extention on your rachet to remove the plug. When putting the plug back in put something in the bottom of the socket to hold the plug threads well out of it so you can start the threads as you can not get your hand up between the engine and generator.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
Next oil change on the 7500 QD you night want to clean out the spark arrestor. You need a long extention on your rachet to remove the plug. When putting the plug back in put something in the bottom of the socket to hold the plug threads well out of it so you can start the threads as you can not get your hand up between the engine and generator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is the spark arrestor? Is it in-line with the exhaust pipe? Your post got me thinking...my generator (300 hours) overheated and shut down. My brother commented on the exhaust sound prior to this occurring and stated that it sounded plugged. If the spark arrestor was plugged would this cause an overheat condition?

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #5

The exhaust spark arrester is located near the middle accessed directly from beneath. Remove the access cover and refer to the manual. It is a bolt type plug (I forget what size) located about 6" up in the machinery. You will need an extention on your ratchet. Remove the plug (better wear glasses as carbon will fall out when you pull it out. Run the genset under load with the plug out to clean it.
Yes if it were plugged it could cause both smoking and running hot.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
The exhaust spark arrester is located near the middle accessed directly from beneath. Remove the access cover and refer to the manual. It is a bolt type plug (I forget what size) located about 6" up in the machinery. You will need an extention on your ratchet. Remove the plug (better wear glasses as carbon will fall out when you pull it out. Run the genset under load with the plug out to clean it.
Yes if it were plugged it could cause both smoking and running hot.

Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the response LugNut. I went out and looked and discovered that the (one of two) fanbelt has shredded and broken. I can't see an easy way to get another one back on there! (This does not have a slide out tray for the generator).

Ed

2003 KSDP
Old 09-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have any screws on screen vent panel under GEN to access your fan belts? Not sure your bottom plate is removeable but you might check it out.
Is it a Onan or Genset?
Spark arrester is in the end of the tail pipe on Genset.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:58 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Do you have any screws on screen vent panel under GEN to access your fan belts? Not sure your bottom plate is removeable but you might check it out.
Is it a Onan or Genset?
Spark arrester is in the end of the tail pipe on Genset. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is an 8kw Power Tech generator with a Kubota engine. I have one of the covers off the bottom and can see the fan belt pulleys (one upper and one lower) but cannot reach in there or see what gets loosened to put on a new one.

2003 KSDP
Old 09-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is why we need a forum dedicated to just "GENERATORS".

You should check your reading material for Gen, but if nothing, if you can turn the pulley wheel and pull on fan belt you may be able to pop it off pulley wheel. Do in reverse to get it on. If there is a idler pulley loosen that first.
If all else call MFG first.
Hope for you its the bottom belt.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #10

Footdoc, I had the same problem on mine. I was about to head to the FMCA rally in Charlotte and needed to change my oil for the first time. I started the Gen to let it warm up. Went inside and noticed the voltmeter was pegged high. I measured it and it was 142 volts. I shut it down and called Newmar to find a place to get it fixed. I thought I would go ahead and change the oil, but like you, could not get the plug loose. I decided to let whoever fixed by Gen to also change the oil. He had a hard time with it also. The high voltage problem was the voltage regulator and they put on a new one. Off we went to the FMCA Rally to play in the mud.