Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

One leg of power only

I have a 2006 Newmar Essex. The ems reads no power on one leg and 120 on the other. Plus the market lights blink when I enter the Rv. The power steps won't work ??
bppreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.
I take it your plugged into 50 amp service in an RV park???
Have you tried re-setting the power post circuit breakers, and contacting park management?
Does your coach have some kind of alarm system ? Could explain the flashing lights.
Is the coach battery disconnect turned on , power steps could be effected if switch is off. There are also multiple fuses in the step system that have to be checked .
KwiKee steps?
Old 07-09-2015, 05:58 AM   #3

50 amp service is good. There is 120 coming into the bus on both legs at the relay switch. Wasn't sure if it had something to do with the transformer taking it from 120 to 12 volt. Which could be causing all these other issues( steps, flashing marker lights, alarm is armed , some outlets blowing a fuse) could it be a ground short.
bppreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The Essex has no transformer, the 12 volt system is powered by the house batteries. Probably having an issue with the transfer switch and the charger for the house batteries is on the leg not getting power. If you are comfortable doing do unplug the coach and turn off the generator and pull the cover off the transfer switch and see if you can see any problems and make sure all the screws that secure the wires are tight.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
YC1

I believe Ironman is right on target. Start your generator to see if things come alive. The flashing lights are probably from the security feature of a keyless entry system. Low voltage can cause all kinds of goofy symptoms. So fixing the obvious usually fixes those things. The obvious being the missing leg of the 110 volts.

You might want to put a voltmeter across your batteries before doing anything else just to satisfy your curiosity. I bet they are low. Hopefully your generator will start.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
If the transfer switch is difficult to reach, you could also check to see if you have 240VAC coming to the main breaker panel. Either of these actions requires caution as 240V packs a good punch. But the wire connections on the coach side of the tranfer switch could be the issue. If one leg is out at the breaker panel, then you will need to backtrack to the transfer switch. My steps get power from the chassis batteries. Have you checked the battery voltage? Could be the 120VAC leg that powers the charger (transformer) is out. That could lead to all the 12VDC issues you mentioned. But you may wish to look at the owners manual to better understand the alarms. Regardless, checking the 120VAC legs will eventually lead you to the culprit.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bppreston View Post
I have a 2006 Newmar Essex. The ems reads no power on one leg and 120 on the other. Plus the market lights blink when I enter the Rv. The power steps won't work ??

I've seen a couple of posts on various IRV2 forums lately about problems with power cord reels. If you have a reel, turn off the breaker at the pedestal and then move the cord in or out on the reel a few inches. Then turn the breaker back on. The slip ring on one of the legs can get a burned spot.

Easy and worth trying.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #8

I had a similar issue a few years back on my 06 Essex. Sometimes I had two legs and sometimes just one getting power. The weird thing was sometimes only leg 2 had power and not leg one.

It turned out to be a loose wire in the transfer switch. In fact it melted some of the plastic and could have easily caught fire if I did not check it.

I put in a new transfer switch (with a metal box this time) and all was well.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suspect list in linier order
Park power... Problem
Park breaker (1/2 trippd other not.. Cycle hard off).
Screw loose (park breaker box)
Bad plug (Very very dirty pin)
Bad plug (Screw or weld loose)
Marinco outlet (other end of cord) Screw loose or bad contact
Marinco inlet (RV) screw loose or bad contact
(NOTE: Screw loose is way higher on the chart,, marinco hardware does not usually fail).
Transfer switch Screw loose, bad contactor
Main breaker box inside motor home.. Screw looe, 1/2 ganged breaker tripped (Same as post) Cycle off HARD.

Branch breaker,, Tripped or screw loose.. I knwo sometimes they will tap one of the circuits for sense voltage for the EMS.. Water heater is such a circuit in at least one RV.

Good luck

(you might have noticed every possibly screw is suspect.. Yup, Many RVers have a few screws loose)

I have seen with my own screwdriver

Marinco outlet screws (2 different ones)
Marince INLET (mine)
Breakers (MINE and others).

As for screw on plug ends...I put those on.. they do NOT come loose.

Tags
power