Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

One rear HWH jack retracts within 30 minutes

After Auto leveling one of the rear jacks that depolyed for stability will start retracting by itself and be completely up after about 30 minutes.
Tried leveling manually and this same jack still retracts by itself.

Just for stability this would be no problem but if that side were raised very much for leveling, and that one rear jack retracted it could twist the frame considerable.

A dealship just replaced the module about 3 weeks ago because the system wouldn't auto lever so hope that didn't cause this.

I know there are valves controlling each jack but no idea where to look.
Any help here?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #2

.....either a hose leak or the solenoid at the manifold is leaking back--but the fact that you don't know where to look for the HWH pump components doesn't bode well for a DIY solution--time to find an RV tech familiar with HWH issues.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

The HWH , fluid control solenoids are mounted to a manifold that also houses the pump and motor .
If you don't know the pump location , try tracking it down by the noise it makes while operating .
There are manual bleed screws on each solenoid and hopefully it just needs tightening , as described in the users manual .
If you don't have the manual they are available as free downloads from the HWH web site.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The HWH , fluid control solenoids are mounted to a manifold that also houses the pump and motor .
If you don't know the pump location , try tracking it down by the noise it makes while operating .
There are manual bleed screws on each solenoid and hopefully it just needs tightening , as described in the users manual .
If you don't have the manual they are available as free downloads from the HWH web site.
As Skip mentioned, check the Manual Bleed Screws. Bet one was left loose. They are the T Handle on the end of each pump.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
As Skip mentioned, check the Manual Bleed Screws. Bet one was left loose. They are the T Handle on the end of each pump.
I guess I do know where the major components are such as the motor, module, manifold, fluid reservoir, and the individual pumps, but just thought maybe there were valves for each jack that I wasn't aware of.
The pumps on my previous 2004 Itasca had T handles to release the pressure of each jack but this 725 system has kind of toggle lever at the end of each. It looks like each lever is in its proper position.

I'll locate the HWH manual and see if it has any specific detail about retracting jacks. Might call Joe at HWH but after he went to so much trouble trying to help me recently when the system would not Auto Level and I still had to take it to my dealer for repair he may not be willing to give me any personal help. By the way, the dealer's service department hadn't seen a system act up like mine was doing and they had to call HWH.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #6

Pulled up the HWH Service Manual but was unable to find any reference to a jack retracting on its own any place in it.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:04 AM   #7

The jack retracting by itself is well documented on here, and is usually caused by a bad solenoid seal.
I had the issue on my front DS, and the first thing I was told to try, is to manually bleed the jack. This involves extending it, then using the toggle on the solenoid to lower it. I was told to do this several times, and then see if it stayed down. In my case this worked for a few weeks but then it started retracting on it's own. next step was a new solenoid, which fixed the problem for good. The solenoids are a couple of hundred dollars, and fitting them is not too bad, as long as you can get access to the pump.
Hope this helps
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Commercial Member

wagonmaster. if you need help, please feel free to call me at 1-602-549-3638. or pfmaddox@att.net. i can help. do you have a service manual. its almost impossible to do a diagnosis on a difficult problem without one. ive worked on hwh since 1973. and i always use them.
btw, 12 volt relays are called either relay and solenoid. gets confusing sometimes.

paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts, or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

I just discovered today that the jack that retracts by itself is only extending about 4-5 inches then stopping before starting to retract.

If the rear end is raised then only the right rear jack does all the work and the other one never reaches the 3" blocks I have in place.

If the driver's side is to be raised for leveling purposes the right rear still doesn't reach the blocks, only the left front jack reaches the ground and starts raising the coach. I have stopped the system when this happens to avoid any frame twisting or a cracked windshield.

Still trying to find some reference to an errant jack in the manual without any luck. Lots of reading.

I did check the fluid reservoir and it was right as it should be.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 AM   #10

Hmm...........a different issue than I had, for sure. Mine would actually level the coach, but would gradually retract.
I guess a call to Azpete, would be the best thing to do.
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
Commercial Member

if you had the module replaced recently, the installer may have left the hydraulic solenoid partially open. check it, and make sure its at least snug. it doesn't have to be torqued, just firmly tightened.
otherwise, the solenoid is leaking through internally. replace it, or have it rebuilt and reinstalled.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
if you had the module replaced recently, the installer may have left the hydraulic solenoid partially open. check it, and make sure its at least snug. it doesn't have to be torqued, just firmly tightened.
otherwise, the solenoid is leaking through internally. replace it, or have it rebuilt and reinstalled.
I thought maybe he might have accidently left the valve release cam partially in the open position but it doesn't look like that. Will check the tightness of the solenoid. Hope it's something that simple but the way things have gone the last 3 years nothing has been even remotely simple.

Tags
hwh